Legacy howa or weatherby vanguard 6.5 creedmor

Wrought said:
I heard the howa 6.5x55s are finicky little rifles. I love howas but is it true?

Not sure if you are referring to the 6.5x55 in general or those made by Howa. In any case I have two 6.5x55 rifles, 1 built off an FN JC Higgins action and 1 in a Winchester Featherweight. Neither one is finicky to me and both shoot great.

Jerry

Not sure if you are referring to the 6.5x55 in general or those made by Howa.

My brother had a push feed Winchester featherweight in 6.5 x 55 that was problematic. The source of his irritation was a chamber cut with a very long leade to accommodate long round nose 160 grain bullets. He just couldn't get it to like 120 grain bullets.

A Howa in 6.5 Creedmoor won't have that issue.

oldscot3 said:
My brother had a push feed Winchester featherweight in 6.5 x 55 that was problematic. The source of his irritation was a chamber cut with a very long leade to accommodate long round nose 160 grain bullets. He just couldn't get it to like 120 grain bullets.

Can't speak to the push feed as mine is a newer CRF and I hand-loaded some 140 grain with no issues. Each rifle has it's personality.

Jerry

Both are solid choices, I own one off each in heavy barrel format. If I had to pick one in regular contour barrel it would be the weatherby. I think it has a more classic look to go along with the 24" barrel. I've handled both and while I didn't purchase either, I liked the vanguard better.

Back