Lee Straight Pull Blow Up

Hi, Mike,

I seen the results of a fair number of cases of firing a bullet into a bore obstruction and have never seen it blow apart a receiver, though a barrel split can break the receiver apart. Here there was no mention or indication of a barrel bulge or split; the damage was confined to the receiver.

I suggested that the OP get his friend to section that fired case. Or you can do that if you have an R-P .30-40 case handy; I think you might be surprised by how much cutting that extractor groove weakened the interior base.

Jim

You've never seen a bore obstruction run pressures so high that they blow out an unsupported area of case head?

I have.

But, to be fair, only in handguns.

Guy I worked with dumped a hardball .45 into a barrel blocked with the previous round's bullet.

The case head blew at the extractor, the magazine coughed out, the one grip panel was broken...

In other words, it looked exactly as if he had a serious overpressure or double charge.

The barrel didn't seem to be damaged, so we hammered the bullets out and as far as I know he's still shooting it.

Agreed, I have seen all manner of bulged and split barrels from obstructions, but not a backblast that demolished the action.

I agree with the blown casehead releasing gas into the metal box sometimes known as a "receiver."

Too much modification to the Krag brass?
Too heavy a load?
Both?

I don't know about the old insults finally catching up with it, though.

Back