Lee Factory Crimp Die - Any advantage

The only semi auto caliber I shoot is 9mm. All of my CZ's and my M&P have fairly tight chambers and short leads. Thus I use an undersize resizing die, and the Lee FCD, in addition to loading bullets relatively short to feed reliably. Up until doing this I had problems due to bullets not chambering, just another fact of life as a Reloader, you just do what works. As long as it works, I don't fret over the process, just the results.

I don't care if you use one, but I don't. For the most part with handgun ammo it corrects a problem that was created elsewhere, and I prefer to correct the issue at the source.

That said, 9mm might be the exception. With the highly variable brass and equally variable chambers, both foreign and domestic, you most likely will run into a problem sooner rather than later with some combination of components and equipment that the best solution for is the FCD.

I've used the die with the sizing ring for a while now(45 ACP) I wouldn't use it for bullseye loads but I honestly can't tell the difference at 25 yards, still hit the heads on the IDPA targets if I do my part with both the revolver and 1911 guns. The only way to really correct it is with bullets sized to .451 and I'd rather not. I believe .451 cast bullets will create a problem worse than the bulge.
As I've said, the ammo shoots just fine after being run thru the lie. On most it doesn't size anything, on the ones it does size it's very little' barely does anything in fact.

I've used the FCD on all handgun ammo as well as all my .223 and .7.62X51 since they came out.

I would never be without them. Prevents most feeding problems before they occur.

Keep in mind the rifle FCD and the handgun CFCD designs work on different principles.

The only drawback I can see to using the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die comes from, as already mentioned for 9 mm, having run into a few cases with abnormally thick walls. In 45 Auto, I once got some commercial hardball loads made in a former iron curtain country whose JRN bullets were 0.4488" (11.40 mm). The manufacturer had decided to bring the cartridge OD over the bullet to OD spec by making the brass thicker. With a 0.452" sized cast bullet, this brass prevented full chambering in my SA 1911. I pulled the bullets and powder and scrapped the small quantity of odd brass, but a CFCD would have narrowed it enough to chamber by squeezing down the cast bullet. However, a cast bullet narrowed that far would have been loose in the bore and caused leading and poor accuracy, so I would rather discover and toss such rounds than shoot them.

It has been asserted since the '50s that crimping pistol rounds as an separate operation from seating provides the mose accurate ammunition. YMMV, but it certainly stops fouling from lead rings shaved off the bullet during seating.

Another note on the sizing ring die, I can feel when it sizes a case. One could save those that are sized when crimped and use them for blasting ammo but for IDPA type shooting they are just fine. For precision(bullseye)shooting, best to find a combination of bullet and case that doesn't bulge. My 200 SWC and the batch of GI brass I use don't bulge when loaded, for instance.

Back