Lee Enfield no4 mk1 questions.

First, my apologies on my earlier misunderstandings regarding FTR and how the pull-through works. This is what happens when one relies on the Internet. :o

Second...
btw, all .303 milsurp is corrosive.
Perhaps you are confusing it with 7.62x54R surplus, which is pretty much always Berdan-primed and corrosive due to Russian military requirements.

As Wogpotter said, there are far more variations of military .303 ammo in existence than 7.62x54R, but OTOH most large stockpiles of milsurp .303 ammo were exhausted long ago. Although a milsurp dealer will still occasionally find a cache large enough to offer for commercial sale, they're becoming fewer and farther between, and the ammo is often relatively expensive and/or of dubious quality. Most active L-E shooters nowadays rely on commercial ammo or handloads.

First, my apologies on my earlier misunderstandings regarding FTR and how the pull-through works. This is what happens when one relies on the Internet.

No apologies required mate, we are all here to learn ... nobody has all the answers either.

Best, Tiki.

Going pofftopic....

Tiki,
as the happy (strange it may seems) owner of a Series III 109" and a Series IIa ex-MOD 88" I know very well Mr. Lucas and his three position switches (Off-Flicker-Burnt)....

But having been grown on a diet of rusty FIATs and thei "Benito Marelli" electrics I love Land Rovers so much......

K.

Tiki,
as the happy (strange it may seems) owner of a Series III 109" and a Series IIa ex-MOD 88" I know very well Mr. Lucas and his three position switches (Off-Flicker-Burnt)....

But having been grown on a diet of rusty FIATs and thei "Benito Marelli" electrics I love Land Rovers so much......

K.

Ahhh a fellow enthusiast and Land Rover nut case! I used to own a 1964 Series IIa SWB and have just recently bought a 1985 V8 110 County with dual cab tray back conversion that is dual fuel LPG/Petrol ... I love em to death. Very nice to have the Ex Mod mate ... the Army Landies are lovely to own ... now you need a Lightweight! The OZ Army are about to sell the Perenties - we are all set to start the bidding wars.

Best, Tiki.

I always thought the .303 was designed by a committee, since no one individual could screw things up so badly. Corrosive, erosive, with a cupro-nickel jacket that leaves bore deposits (the reason for that wire screen bore cleaner), with a rimmed and tapered case guaranteed to cause feeding problems. Only the Russians and the French mucked things up worse with an even greater taper.

(Yes, the U.S. Krag cartridge was about as bad as the .303 (they are nearly identical), but we got smart in 1903 and even smarter in 1906, though doing away with corrosive primers took longer.)

Jim

The .303 was originally designed as a black powder cartridge, and was based on a cartridge designed by the Swiss inventor Col. Eduard Rubin (of Schmidt-Rubin fame).

Last edited:
Ordered the butt plate (complete assembly), butt plate screws, and an extractor spring. When I was cleaning it I discovered that mine was broken. :( I should have them today or tomorrow. If not then by Monday. As far as the oiler, cleaning rope, and 2x4 I'll get them later when cash allows. Has anyone used the scope mount from numrich? I've seen the no-gunsmithing mounts, not too sure if they work all that well. I'm going to hunt with this rifle, so whatever I'm hunting deserves my best shot.

Thanks again for all the help!

Which scope mount from Numrich?
B-Square is iffy.
Some of the NDNT ones are decent though, they usually attach using the rear sight pivot mounts & clamp to the charger bridge. If you don't mind drilling & Tapping check out the one from SIA (special Interest Arms), its one of the lowest profile ones available.

Old Enfield shooter's trick for installing the spring.
Get some dental floss, or strong mono filament. Pass it through the loop of the spring then thread through the bolt head from front to rear. To install spring pull hard to the rear.;)

Wogpotter, I'm not exactly sure. It's listed under SMLE, no4 mk1, accessories. 574640 is the number for it. That's the only one I saw listed. I'll keep that trick in mind when my parts come in.

Jeepliberty, if you want to scope your No4 I would recommend the no drill S&K mount. This mount attaches at the backsight pivot pin with two screws and a wedge under the charger bridge. It's a very soild unit when installed. There are two styles, the older style that uses Leupold style post rings and a new style that is a picitinny rail. The old style mounts the scope a bit lower.

S&K with a Weaver K2.5
K25faz1.jpg

If you used the Sarco reproduction mounts and scope you would be similar to this.
finished03.jpg

I went & took a quick look at the mount from your stock #. It says "alloy", that makes me a tad nervous as in which alloy?:D
Go with Crate's suggestion the S&K are excellent mounts.;)
(not sure about the strap on " raging lion" cheekpiece though!):)

I really dig the leather cheek thing, checked the site out and I think I'm gonna add one to my birthday list! My dad is giving me a BSA scope that he has, I don't know what model it is, but I hope the rings work on it.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it!

Back