leaving your range bag in the truck over night ?

I don't carry guns in my range bag so the threat of someone stealing my guns iffin they break into my vehicle and take it is a moot point. I'm out some ammo, some paper targets and some ear plugs. Maybe a handgun rest. No different than leaving anything else in a vehicle overnight. My experience with temperature sensitive powers is that it takes extremes, as in developing the load when it's 90 degrees out and then using them when it's 10 degrees. Even then, at normal variation, the noticeable difference at the range is little to none. The only fear would be, running a very slow handgun powder like H110/W296 at starting loads in extreme cold.

If the temperature change is enough to produce a 100fps+ change in velocity, it will make a change in the point of impact at 100yds range, and beyond.
With a regular .30 about 1/2". per hundred yards. Roughly.

Take a look at the .308 and the .30-06 shooting the same bullet and the difference in drop between the two. IF cold weather turns your 06 into the speed of a summer .308, there will be a change in drop, at distance.

As to leaving stuff in the car overnight? Not the best idea most of the time. My personal "security" system hasn't failed yet, though its not for everyone..

I'm a slob. And I'm old, and I don't give a rodent's posterior about what other people think, most of the time. My newest car is an 06, with a cracked windshield, and a bashed in door. And, its about half full of trash. old unopened junk mail, old shoes, and a LOT of old empty fast food joint bags and cups. Four door, with only room for the driver and one passenger. Even the dumber crooks look at that and realize there's nothing worth stealing there! (and, there isn't):D

If you got nice things, somebody will want them. IF you've got what appears to be crap (but still works) not so much. ;) Not for everyone, though, some people care about appearances...I don't.

reddotlight said:
I believe this thread is directed to the safety of the forearm [sic] inside the truck.
Actually, no, it's not (I'm assuming you meant to write "firearm"). If you take the trouble to read the OP (original post), you'll find that the poster specifically states:
rebs said:
The reason I ask is because some powders are temp sensitive.

I wouldn't leave firearms in the vehicle overnight. The temperature changes won't effect powder. It will effect the velocity you get.

Has anyone experimented with "temperature sensitive" powders to see how a change in temperature effects accuracy?

There has been tons of research on this. MOST powders will see 1-3 fps difference in velocity for each 1 degree of temperature change. Most factory loads are tested at 70 degrees. That means that at 100 degrees your ammo will be 30-90 fps faster than the specs say it should be. At 40 degrees it will be 40-90 fps slower.

For handguns, and even rifles shot at "normal" hunting ranges 90 fps difference is not usually going to matter. If you're using handloads and pushing the envelop with loads developed at 70 degrees, you could find them overloaded at 100.

When you start shooting at or below zero degrees, especially at longer ranges there can be enough velocity change in rifles to make major changes in point of impact.

Some newer powders that are less sensitive to temperature changes will only change velocity about 1/2 fps for every 1 degree of temperature change. Now we're only looking at about 15 fps change for a 30 degree temperature change. Even with a 100 degree change in temperature it'd only be about 50 fps change in velocity.

That's an incredibly bad idea. People get into locked cars quite frequently. There were three people here who lost handguns that they left in their cars overnight recently. People with tool chests are frequently targeted.

Leaving a bunch of guns outside and unguarded in a vehicle either in the home or in public is also a bad idea.

Did you know that a common way to steal a car is to simply break into the house and find the keys? So, for example, you load your guns into your SUV so you can go off as soon as you get home, then leave the SUV in the driveway while you take your other car to work.

knock knock, anyone home? Kick the door in, look for the keys to that super sharp looking dodge ram, and scram with it. Oohh, ten grand worth of weapons locked in the tool box in the back? BONUS POINTS!

My question was not about leaving guns in my suv, it is about leaving my range bag in my suv over night for shooting the next morning.

rebs said:
My question was not about leaving guns in my suv, it is about leaving my range bag in my suv over night for shooting the next morning.
As I've already pointed out, the OP has clearly stated what his question is. Additional posts about leaving guns in vehicles, car theft methodology, etc., are both rude and off-topic and will be handled accordingly.

Please, people, stay on topic. This will be your only warning.

not in my area, we have lots of homeless camps, transients walking down the street 24/7

I wouldnt leave anything for them to steal, even a range bag without firearms

the homeless bums in my area never go to sleep, I can hear them outside all through the night like rats "tweakers" meth heads.

I dont even stop for lunch on the way home unless my vehicle is in full view from where Im sitting in the restaurant.

Last edited:
I apologize. I interpreted his range bag as possibly containing guns, or other valuable equipment.

I apologize, as well, and for the same reason. My range bag contains pistols, so I thought it was at least a possibility that OP's did, too. I had no intention to be rude, and my apology to rebs and Mr. Thomas for coming off that way.

Back