Leaving handgun in car?

I have a Hornady TriPoint.
It seems heavier than some and more secure due to the triple point lockup.
I have one on a cable in my Jeep and one bolted to the floor in my pickup camper. My Governor lives in the the one in the camper.

One other thing...

TRY NOT TO BE OBVIOUS WHEN PLACING IT IN THE LOCKBOX!!

Some thieves will stake out courthouses/etc, just looking for stupid people
who are openly placing their guns in a lockbox...and they have the right tools...

I'd stop a couple miles away, someplace with a little concealment
and lock it up then, drive the remaining few miles,
thusly looking like a normal unarmed individual when parking at court.

Carrying where..?/

A few years ago I ran into a process server I know. A court official..right. In the post office, he was carrying......He said it was a chance he took rather than leave it in his car........Problem was he printed and I noticed.

I carry everywhere I am legally allowed. However, my job: (1) requires me to go into several GFZs; and (2) also requires me to occasionally visit some of our bad neighborhoods. That being the case, OP, I have used that very box that you linked for about 5 years. Mine came with a slightly different cable, but that's neither here nor there. It's not the sturdiest safe in the world, but it fits under the seat of my car, with the cable snaked around the base of the seat. So far, it's worked pretty well, but check that lock occasionally. A screw in mine came out one day, turning it from a "lock box" into a "box." Still, I put it back together and haven't had that problem since.

While I generally dislike the idea of leaving a gun in an unattended car, it's a solution that beats the devil out of either: (1) leaving the gun in an unlocked glove compartment; or (2) leaving my gun at home.

I would keep a handgun in the middle console of the car if I locked my car while it was in the garage and if I (and my wife) remembered to close my garage door. I (we) do neither of those routinely.

I would worry, though, that the constant central Illinois temperature and humidity fluctuations would corrode the finish and springs at an accelerated rate.

Back