LEAVING bp REVOLVERS LOADED

plom,

Great post....Thanks for posting it.

There is something comforting (a close friend of mine says ingrained in man) about a fire and a dog.

Anyway thanks. Great post. Makes me yearn for cooler weather and early mornings with a fire and a cup of coffee.

Thanks guys, but here again this text is not from me, I just recognize myself in it
I don't say BP revolvers are better than modern revolver or pistols, but a BP revolver is still a weapon, and better than nothing.
A 141 grs soft lead bullet driven at over 900 fps is plenty enough for me to stop a bad guy!
For my home defense needs I rely on a marlin lever action, a 12ga coach gun and back them up with my BP revolvers. :D and my Rottweiler
but back on this topic, YES modern oil easily contamine caps and powder so that may be the reason of your failures.

Musketeer said:
Call me nuts but WHY would you leave a capped loose cylinder laying about? That cylinder IS a gun. It is a gun with no safety whatsoever. Drop it or bump it the wrong way and BOOM. Yes, leaving caps off will allow moisture to get in. That does not mean leaving caps on a loose cylinder is a good idea!

Now as to a loaded BP gun... Unless there is some reason you cannot have a gun with brass loaded cartridges there is absolutely no reason to keep a BP loaded and laying about. If there is a law preventing your ownership of a modern handgun look closely at the BP laws. In NY you can own a BP revolver without a NY Pistol Permit BUT if you have balls, powder and caps it is now considerred a functional handgun and subject to the laws of NYS. That means if you have one with all those components, not even loaded but in the house, and don't have a permit you are guilty of having a handgun without a permit. Check your local laws.

Hickock fired off both his BP revolvers every morning and reloaded them so he knew they would be ready, today he would have loaded cartridges. A 38 revolver second hand is not that expensive. Get one and leave the BP to range and re-enactment fun.

Ok now please don't get me wrong but this is my take on this subject of a home deffence weapon being a Cap & Ball Revolver.

First:
If you don't have the ability "monetary wise or other" to purchase a good handgun & you like to shoot C&B revolvers then this is a good alternative till you can get something more modern.

Second:
Today I have a decent array of capable weapons to deffend my family & home like my trusty Colt M1911A1 .45acp, Browning Hi Power 9mm, & Winchester 1200 12ga just to name a few but I also have to think of my family & neighbors when the time comes to use such force, my 12ga would be ideal but to simply walk through the house with it to check on an unusual noise is not a great idea & I know for a fact that my .45acp & 9mm will penetrate through most of the walls in my house possibly endangering some one that I did not intend to hurt, but my trusty 1860 Army loaded like I mentioned gives good stopping power but not over penetration which to me is ideal, I can carry it either in it's holster or in hand "if neccessary" & be at the ready but have a weapon that is very capable of the chore at hand yet be less of a danger to those a few rooms down the hall "if the trigger was needed" because even the standard "military" round ball load although quite potent would lose energy very quick when it hits hard objects.

This is why I still from time to time load my 1860 Army in this fashion knowing that if needed she's dependable but with a little restraint & like Plom's posting you don't need all that horse power or fire power "for that matter" to defend your home in most cases.

I will end my post with this..
All my modern weapons are kept loaded for that "God help me" time when I may need either one of them "including a few Swords" but I've learned that if I slow down & think of the what ifs, that 1860 Army is just as viable a solution if not more "in my collection" than anything else I have & I do not blame any one else in thinking similarly as I..

you're right Hawg Haggen :p I'll make a new pic with hat and boots ;)
Raider2000 you're very right concerning overpenetration, I would like to add another point.
When things happen and a BG decide to take your home as target, the first step is to protect your family, defend your life, and SURVIVE the situation.
Anybody with some awareness, and training will do it.
but AFTER, what most of us forget is to survive COURT. Of course I prefer to be judged by 12 than buried by 6, but still I like my freedom.
Believe me, in the eyes of a judge there is a BIG difference between the guy using grand dad's revolver or hunting coach gun or the guy with tactical modern équipement. When the atorney will show to the jury what weapon was used, there will be a different psychological impact between a remington 870 with wood stock and the one with black fiber stocks. It sound wierd but for most people not knowing firearms wood stocks on a shotgun is made for hunt, black fiber stocks are made for war or defense. the same difference can be applied in front of a jury between a glock and a BP revolver.
Figure, some years ago some Police county even made the switch from Ruger Mini 14 to marlins lever actions because some politicals tough it was less "agressive" to see!
Those days they quickly tend to speak of premeditation, or people tending to "play cops".

It is one thing to argue that a bp gun is being used for home defense because of cost. I don't agree since you can get a used revolver or shotgun for very little but if all you have is the bp and you have no cash I'll go along with it until you can upgrade.

It is something else entirely to use arguments like "it doesn't look as evil to a jury" or "it has sufficient stopping power" or "it won't over penetrate." Come on now.

1. It will never be as reliable as a maintained cartridge fed weapon. You now have 5 rounds (becasue the hammer is on an empty chamber/bare nipple, right) of which anything from relative humidity to your cleaning products may have renderred inoperable.

2. The "evil looking gun" can be easily counterred. Ask the court bailiff to show what he has, it is probably a Glock. Unless you have a rotary shotgun loaded up with dragon's breath then I think you can counter the "evil looking gun" argument. If you want simply get an old wood gripped revolver.

3. BP will still penetrate. If over penetration is so worrysome to you buy Glasers or MagSafes.

4. Sufficient stopping power... We all know the graveyards are full of people killed by the .36 cal ball round but PLEASE. Ammunition has advanced for a reason yet we have people here suggesting one use non-expanding antiquated lead balls fired at minimal velocities. (If the fire that is!)

I know some people like their old BP pistols, I have a Spiller and Burr replica I liked to put rounds through when I lived where there was a convienent outdoor range. I understand why people enjoy doing competitions with them and even hunting with them. To entrust your life and your family's lives to one though when there are other far superior options is... not the best choice (to be kind about it).

Musketeer, if you think that percussion revolvers are inadequate for your home/self defense needs, then by all means, use something else.

However, don't be so quick to think that there aren't people who can get by just fine with 'em. After all, it's the person behind the gun that counts the most, not the weapon it's self.

[ Edit - For what it's worth, I just took my 5-1/2 inch barreled Remington copy out and emptied it. It's been loaded for over a month now. End result was 6 chambers, 6 booms, 6 holes in the old pine stump I was shooting at. No cap jams or any other malfunction. Seems pretty reliable to me. Of course, now I gotta clean and reload the damned thing.... ]

J.C.

Last edited:
Cartridige conversion cylinders are good for keeping one loaded for home use .
You can still load it up with blackpowder and heavy 255gr bullets ..and easy to unload and reload on the Reminton 1858 , would much safer for these reasons . But with the price of these conversion cylinders , there`s a lot of modern pistols out there for less the price . I use mine for home defence just because its the pistols I shoot and handle the most and I load the shells I keep in it at home hotter than those I shoot on the range for cans and such .

I should probably mention that I do have modern guns here... I just like the old Remington best. Even my Browning Hi-Power doesn't suit me as well.

J.C.

Back