Leapers scopes any good?

Something cheap...

Magic Man--you said:
Looking for something cheap to put on my 10/22.
A wise man once said to me: "Accurate, sturdy, cheap. Pick any 2 and you might get lucky. You can't ever have all three."

If you are cramped as to budget, I'd look for a used 'scope were I you--They occasionally turn up. (Make friends with all the dealers in your area, and let it be known that you are "in the market.") But a deliberately cheap 'scope will not fail to disappoint you, unless your expectations are very low.

Cheap Scope???

I'm of the opinion that if you put a $50 dollar scope on a $1000 rifle, you end up with a $50 rifle.

What's half decent in the sub $100 market? It's just a plinking toy that I got for free. I'm not investing a ton of $ into it.

I typically avoid the sub-$100 scopes, but there are a few good ones out there. Konus makes a pretty good rimfire scope, and TruGlo has an incredibly clear little rimfire scope, both are under $100. But in general, you get what you pay for.

What's half decent in the sub $100 market? It's just a plinking toy that I got for free. I'm not investing a ton of $ into it.
Instead of half way decent, how about a really good quality scope that because it's discontinued and on clearance happens to be in your price range? One that is clear and bright and will last a lifetime? These are excellent and work great on 22s. Much better quality and optics than the Bushnell Banner or Mueller APV, and a far better scope for plinking. Of course if you were a target shooter and not a plinker then a step down in quality to the good bang for the buck Mueller APV might make sense because of the magnification and adjustable objective. But for hunting or plinking you can't beat these for twice the money.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849421

WE849421.jpg

Last edited:
I'll echo Sholling's recommendation. I bought one the first (or second) time the recommendation came up, and it's better than a lot of $200+ scopes I was considering at the time. Natchez is practically giving them away at that price.

(Thanks, Sholling!)

Last edited:
I put a Leapers 4-16X50 on my FAL. The idea was to see how the rifle grouped with glass without spending a fortune first. The scope has been so good thus far, that I'm keeping it on til it breaks. So far I believe Leapers to be worth more than their cost. I intended to place a Nikon on this rifle eventually, but since the scope has been this good, I'll let it fail first, that is, if it ever does. It cost me $120. Take that for what it's worth, and keep in mind, you're scoping a .22.

I have a Leapers 3-9x40 scope on my Winchester 150. It has given me outstanding service thus far. It's a far sight better than irons or the average rimfire scope offerings. Clarity is excellent and it has held zero even after several drops and/or careless handling by the idiot owner.
I'd buy another as I feel it's a good value for my hard earned money.

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion and I am NOT a scope guru in any way, shape or form.

I have a Leapers 3x9 on my TC Encore 209x50 ML and it works well. It is plenty bright for hunting and it has held zero very well. I think they are fine for the money.

I have 2 Leapers scopes on two spring powered air rifles. They have worked very well, and held up through many thousands of shots that would destroy many scopes due to the reverse recoil. The optics are clear, the adjustments hold zero and the AO works quite well out to the 75 yard distance of my back yard range. I have had good service from the ones that I have.

I don't know about Leapers, but I just mounted a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3x9x40 on my old 10/22. I picked it up at Academy Sports for $34.95, along with some see through mounts (Yes! See through mounts! :eek:) for another $10.00 or so. Seems to be a great scope for the money.

I understand the differences between inexpensive scopes and their more costly brethren, but for my purposes, it was all I needed. This is a 10/22 I've owned for 20+ years, it is my plinking/informal range gun and regularly gets tossed in the jeep or on a four-wheeler caseless. If I smack the tube on a tree, I've got the iron sights right there as backup, or for close shots.

Don't let people talk you into spending $100.00 or more for a scope for a 10/22 that you're going to just fool around with, you don't need to do it.

I put a $50 Leapers on a 10/22 I built for a friends son, he shoots the crap out of it and it's been going strong for about three years now. Personally I'm a Mueller APV fan, great scope but it's $130.

That Weaver scope at Natchez sounds pretty good if it really is a decent scope,but as I understand it Weaver scopes use Japanese glass and the remaining parts come from and assembly takes place in China.Isn't the Chinese aspect what everyone wants to avoid in a long lasting scope? I'm really trying to find a decent,inexpensive mil-dot or P4 reticle scope for the .308 bolt action I'll be getting in the next few months.

Last edited:
That Weaver scope at Natchez sounds pretty good if it really is a decent scope,but as I understand it Weaver scopes use Japanese glass and the remaining parts come from and assembly takes place in China.
Weaver scopes are made entirely in Japan. Although Weaver refuses to confirm by who it's generally accepted that the manufacturer is Japan's L.O.W., the best of the Japanese manufacturers.

It's the mid-priced Mullers that are made in China using Japanese glass. Their bottom of the line APV may be entirely Chinese but I honestly don't know. And their top of the line Tac II is entirely Japanese.

I'm really trying to find a decent,inexpensive mil-dot or P4 reticle scope for the .308 bolt action I'll be getting in the next few months.
You are looking at two incompatible uses. Parallax is a big issue 22 ranges. A centerfire scope will be set to be parallax free at 100yds or more depending on the manufacturer. Most rimfire scopes and the Weaver shotgun scope that I linked are set to be parallax free at 50yds. Perfect for pinking with a 22.

My advice is to get the Weaver Shotgun scope for the 22 and then save up for a decent scope for that 308. If you can live with a duplex reticle Natches has the Weaver 3-9x38 on sale for $139. It's not fancy but it's a good solid scope with good Japanese glass and coatings. If you must have mil-dot I'd save up for something with enough quality to make it useful. About the cheapest that I would consider is the Mueller Tac II but it's way out of your price range.

Back