Lead Bullets, Modern Firearms-Best Caliber?

What's the 'best' caliber might depend an awful lot on desired range, target, action, economy and reloading equipment available. But, it could very well be that the most difficult thing to find, own, transport and process in the not-so-distant future is lead. Speculation aside...

From about the time I first became aware of the falling block action, I thought they were cool. They don't address any problem I have--I just think they're cool. From the time I became aware of the Ruger No 1, I've wanted one. I've also always been real interested in very big bore rifles as being 'fun', but extremely expensive to operate. I'd have a big Nitro Express gun if I could afford one, again, not for any imaginable purpose.

So, recently all these things came together in the form of a Ruger No 1 in .45-70, all for the purpose of slinging large-but-not-too-large slugs of lead downrange in a slow, relaxed manner, for no real purpose at all other than fun.

The economy vs massiveness tradeoff seemed answered by this round, and while folks have said it's not that accurate a cartridge, just as many seem to have said it's a very accurate cartridge. Hitting a 2L soda bottle at 100 yds is far more accurate than I really need, 'killing' the soda bottle isn't a concern, and quick follow-up shots likewise not a worry.

I like "45", and I like brass that's not two bucks a case...so I'm quite happy to work around any 'downsides' I may find, including shooting bigger targets if I have to. :) I will find a suitably-accurate load that makes use of a cast bullet that I find appealing and that is a bit cheaper to shoot, do gas checks because I can, and sling those puppies downrange through the entire spectrum of velocities I deem 'fun'. That's my simple definition of 'best'.

One option I'm hopeful for is one at the light end of the range from Accurate that I think may be perfect, a 325 gr gem with no crimp groove:

Last edited:
30-30 cast bullets are ideal for deer hunting in woods.

I load a 165 FP bullet, gas checked and lubed that has a muzzle velocity just shy of 2,000 fps.

Bullets are 50-50 lead - wheelweights with tin added. Ones for the Winchester 94 are sized .310, Marlin is .312.

Practice with scope sighted marlin to 200 yards, 100 years with the receiver sighted Winchester. I have killed a goodly number of deer with this bullet. Never over 60 yards. Good hits that put the deer down quickly. Never recovered a bullet or had any meat damage. You can eat right up to the hole.

It is becoming the concensus of the crowd of casters over a cast boolits that the .358 winchester or 35 whelan is the optimum caliber for cast bullets. Lurk here for a couple of hours to get a scent of what bullet castng is all about. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?8-Cast-Boolits

Back