Lead Bullets, Modern Firearms-Best Caliber?

sunaj

I got to thinking after perusing a thread on lead bullets in modern rifles,
since we are limited on velocity with lead bullets, we must limit our rounds to 1200-2200 depending on if you use lead/hardened lead/ gas check,
so my question is what do you think the best rifle/caliber setup would work best if you were limited to lead projectiles, who knows in the future the only bullets you can find is what you can make
Thanks
sunaj

so my question is what do you think the best rifle/caliber setup would work best
The modern cast lead bullet rifle shooters look for small capacity 30 caliber rifles. Namely, the bolt-action 30-30's, .308's, and 7.62x37's. They usually load them to about 1600 max down to 1100 fps. They also use modern techniques like indexing (cast bullets are not round), and nose/bore riding bullets. However, there are many different classes (small bore, large bore, etc.), that do not center on .30 caliber bullets and relatively small cases.
The best advice I can give, is to go to the Cast Lead Bullet Association's web site and learn from them. If you choose to become a member, you get the Association's magazine with a matrix of data used in their frequent competitions, including bullet, alloy, sizing, lube, powder, case, primer. The magazine is named The Fouling Shot.

I shoot cast bullets in most of my rifles, normally at reduced velocities but there are some that don't require reducing the velocity.

As mentioned the 45-70 is one.

Another good choice is the 30-40 Krag. It normally pushed a 200 grn jacketed bullet at 2000 fps. Cast bullets can be pushed that fast without any problems, using the same sight settings I used for jacketed bullets.

The 458 Win Mag is another.

Just thumb through a reloading manual that gives both jacketed and cast bullet loads. There are many more.

I think people are missing a lot by not trying cast bullets in their rifles. Not to mention the money savings.

I limit cast bullets to the maximum achievable velocity of the cartridge. ;)

If I had to pick a "best cartridge" for cast bullet use....
(The rifle is secondary.)

I would recommend .45-70/.458 Win Mag/.450 Marlin for other people, due to bullet selection and availability, and the amount of available load data.

...but I would take .444 Marlin, myself. .444 Marlin is a little more efficient, even if not known for attaining the same max velocities, and the difference in bore size is negligible. (400-450 gr bullets at 2,200+ fps is a perfectly attainable goal - exceeding .45-70 and .450 Marlin performance, coming close to .458 Win Mag, and nearly matching .450-400 3.25" Nitro Express.)

303 Lee Enfield, because they are cool. The SMLE is the best looking one, with a sword bayonet.

Might need the bayonet for if they ban lead too.

I would say the 357 maximum is one of the top do all chamberings and makes a real neat cast boolet launcher. And, can also chamber 357 mag. and 38 special. Any quality single shot would be a good rifle for this round excluding H&R handi's with micro groove rifling.

lead bullet rifle

I use my 375 winchester with 240-250 grn 38-55 bullets, sized to .377 with a gas check and push them to 2000 fps, I can put 5 into 2" @ 50 yards and 10 into 4" @ 100.
I outfitted the Marlin with a Williams reciever peep sight and gold bead up front. However the 375 winchester is hard to find and not for the timid, but they are great fun to shoot.
But I would guess the good ol 30-30 would be the easy choice

Last edited:
32 Winchester Special. Most were produced with 16 twist barrels which are very conducive to cast bullets. In fact, accuracy and velocity can be matched (and exceeded) in comparison to jacketed. I know this from experience. Both the RCBS and Ranch Dog bullets work well. Another good one is 35 Remington.

I use cast bullets in my 45-70 , 44 magnum & special , 357 magnum , 38 special......I suppose my little 1892 short rifle in 357 mag. using 158 to 180 gr hard cast bullets might be the ticket in hard times ! That and a few bricks of .22 long rifle ammo would be handy ! :D

Last edited:
If you are thinking about hunting, the the 45/70 would probably be best. That usually limits you to the lever action marlin which is a good solid firearm. 400 and 500gr. pills will definately get the job done.

Lots of folks using cast lead in 300 AAC Blackout loads on an AR15 platform. Common weights range from 130 grains to 245 grains.

Nick

I think we really need to know what this "best" cartridge is being expected to do before a meaningful suggestion can be made. As you've noticed, the power-class of suggested chamberings is all over the place... what are you going to use this thing for?

I am the odd man out, the weird one in any bunch - I load cast lead in 7.62x39mm, 160 grain Lee's and 129 grain NOE's, cast by yours truly.:)

At least , what I pay locally from a source for bulk 400 and 350 grain cast bullets it just makes it so much more economical to shoot the 45-70 rifles once you obtain the brass and stuff to reload ! I can not see paying the ridiculous prices for factory ammo for target duty and just general fun with the big caliber rifles ! I do know folks that have gone several deer seasons of hunting with one box of shells.......nothing wrong with that but I like to shoot way too much for that to work for me !

Best cal. 4 cast boolits

I think if I'd have the privelige like you ge ntlemen to walk into a gunshop and buy a rifle,I would have make a beeline for the 300. BLK.From my perspective I can cast 200grn+ and if I want to hunt plainsgame on the Africa plains I can go to125grn jackets and speed it up.

On the other hand if hunting is the main objective I'll make an about turn and pick the 45 70.However lots of plinking might not be fun.

Back