Lead bullet questions

Dennis6474:

Mercury has contaminated our ocean fish making them unfit to eat. Where this contamination ccame from, I don't know. Perhaps, in California, it came from the gold mining operations of the 1800's. What is important is that the contamination was man produced, Mercury is poisonious, don't use it to clean guns. There are several solvents available the remove leading.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

I have a Lee 158 grain mold that I'm not using, that can use gas checks - want to try it out? It's the C358-158SWC mold. I don't have any gas checks, though. PM an addy and I'll send it to you.
Are you sizing your boolits, and to what size? Slug your bore?
LOTS of casting info at castboolits.gunloads.com, best source yet.

Ditto on Chore Boy ALL COPPER scrub pads for de-leading, and Hoppes #9 seems to work wonders for me.

dennis, 1/22/12

There is a great forum dedicated to casting and shooting bullets called www.castboolits.gunloads.com. When I first started casting it helped a great deal and, like this forum, they are very helpful. Punch the website into your computer and take a look.

best wishes- oldandslow

Hello, The statement that man has produced mercury contamination is not true.
Back in the early 30's, the Ford Motor Co. ran a gold mining operation in mid Michigan..more as a promotional thing than a real money maker..gold was of the "flour" varity. What they did find in that little creek was mercury..gallons of it. Michigan has natural occuring mercury in the soil.

Back