LCR

SonOfScubaDiver

I didn't post about it when I got it, but I bought an LCR 38spcl a couple of months ago. It was an impulse buy, so I wasn't really sure how well I would like it once i got it. I have taken it to the range 3 times now, and I don't regret buying it.

One thing I can say for certain is that an LCR is not a very good range gun, but it isn't designed to be one either. It is, however, a very very good concealed carry gun. Of the four guns I conceal carry, it is the most comfortable and versatile of the bunch. It's very light, doesn't print even a little bit, and fits in my pocket, waistband, and coat pocket without a problem. I can even carry it appendix style, which says a lot for a big belly feller like me.

As for shooting it......regular target ammo feels like +p does through my SP101, and +p feels like 357. It does hurt my hand, so I've only shot around 75 rounds on each visit. I can shoot my other carry guns a lot more than that, but I'm not complaining. It is, after all, designed just for concealment, not ease of shooting. It's pretty much point and shoot at 10 yards or less. The trigger on this thing is actually pretty nice considering it's DA only. I tried a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip for it, but I quickly went back to the stock grip because I lost some of the concealability with the DP.

Over all, I am happy with my LCR. It does what it's designed to do, and does it well. I'd say that this is one gun I am going to have for a long time to come. Definite keeper. BTW, my other CC guns are the SP101 (3"), Bersa Thunder 380, Glock 42.

For me non +P 125 grain bullets are not bad and I could easily shoot 50 in a session. But any 158gr loads are unpleasant. In my opinion this is a gun meant to be carried a lot but shot little. I am on my second one - Ruger replaced the first one due to flame cutting of the top strap at the cylinder gap. This gun is starting to exibit the same wear after only about 300 rounds. I practice with a Charter Arms Undercover which is over 30 years old and has had thousands of rounds thru it. I carry the Ruger which has an XS trititum front sight when I want something I can put in a pocket holster and slip in my pocket. Not bashing the Ruger as it is what is and is good for it's intended puropse.

I have an LCR 357. It's the same as yours, but the frame around the cylinder is steel rather than Aluminum alloy.

It's about 4 oz heavier than your LCR 38, and it shoots 38 Special +p with no pain.

I've also shot 357 mag low and mid range self defense ammo in it and it's manageable but painful.

I haven't tried full power high end 357 magnum, and I'm in no hurry to do so.

I've only shot a few hundred rounds through it, with no sign of flame cutting. But the frame is steel so it's more durable than the 38 Special frame.

I carry the .357 LCR version because I live in the woods and need it for 4 legged protection as much as if not more than 2 legged. There are hogs, big cats, rattle snakes and bears around where I live, so I love the versatility of such power in a light small package. I have shot some of the heaviest .37 through it, and it was fine. You're not going to feel any recoil in the heat of battle!

I was getting 1250 fps with the 180 grain keith hard cast flat nose which yields around 617 foot pounds ME!

Here is from an old post on another thread:
A side view to shot the muzzle rise and recoil from shooting the Buffalo Bore .357 heavy 180 grain Keith HC from the 17 oz steel .357 magnum LCR with 1 7/8" barrel.

I chronographed the first two rounds, measured for crimp jump (none) and then filmed the second two for the recoil.

The gun was wearing the larger Hogue grips, and I was wearing cycling gloves.
https://youtu.be/8zZyXkhKPiM

I have had a 38 Spcl. LCP for a few years. It shoots quite well. I have mostly used Blazer 158gr. FBI loads because I came across a great deal on a couple cases of "surplus" that was used for training by a Federal agency before they switched to autoloaders. I carry Speer Gold Dot +P Short Barrel for CCW in a Winter coat pocket.
Those 158gr +P Blazers certainly get your attention, but it is still managable, and I have no problem shooting 50 rounds or more in a session. I dod notice when a novice shooter was limp wristing that the lead SWCHP bullets were backing out of the case, and locking the cylinder. After that happemed, I shot probably 25 or 30 rounds with no problems.

As for shooting it......regular target ammo feels like +p does through my SP101, and +p feels like 357. It does hurt my hand, so I've only shot around 75 rounds on each visit.

Sounds a lot like what I've discovered over the years of shooting my 642 J frame. I don't like shooting 158 grain bullets out of it nor +P either. I'll stick with regular 130 grain or below. It does hide well, and it is one of my favorite carry weapons because it just disappears when carried. Good luck with the LCR. I've heard they are great!

Joe

After reading about the flame cutting, I think I'll avoid the .38 LCR's.
Every picture that I have seen has shown minimal erosion.
My view of the subject is much the same as with the .357 Max revolvers: It's pretty much self-limiting, and the number of rounds required to be fired to result in a failure will be well beyond the service life of the revolver.

Without a doubt the Ruger LCR is a snappy little fellow.

I've posted this several times: I got a chance to shoot a .357 magnum LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum loads (Magtech, nothing really 'hot' about 'em.) and just plain old will not do that any more.

I don't consider myself particularly recoil sensitive but if offered I'll only shoot the LCR with 125 grain .357 magnum rounds (or lower) and I won't shoot many of those---maybe 10 rounds per range session.

I'd be the perfect partner to be conned into a range trip if you did what I do...I provide the guns and ammo and you pay the indoor range fee. If you brought an LCR you'd have the lane mostly to yourself.

Wish you guys hadn't told be the .357 was a steel frame.
Now I gotta go buy one!!!!!!
Anyone shot the .327 LCR?
I have an LCR 327.

It kicks pretty good also. A little less than the 357, but then the muzzle energy and bullet weight are a little lower also.

Someone mentioned having the range to yourself if you bring an LCR 357.

Well, it turns out that the 327 Federal cartridge runs at nearly 9000 psi higher pressure than the 357 Magnum. And much of the ammo available for it is at full pressure as there are no old guns in 327 Federal for the ammo manufacturers to worry about.

So, when I shoot it, you get quite a muzzle/cylinder gap pressure wave.

I've had people on both sides of me at the range ask me to put down the screens used to keep semi auto shells from pelting the next shooter down.

These screens also break up the muzzle gas blast from my LCR 327.

BTW, I think that LCR 327 is my favorite LCR.

It has six shots rather than five, and the power is as good or better than most low to mid range 357 Magnum rounds and higher than 9mm rounds.

The only time I'd prefer my LCR 357 would be if I expected to encounter a bear and wanted to load a 180 gr high power round.

But then, if I was expecting a bear, I'd bring something larger than an LCR in the first place.

I have the LCR 357 also ... I have found a good managable defensive 357 mag ammo for the LCR357 and that is the Hornady 125 gr FTX 357 mag .. According to gel tests it performs ...

I have seen some very verygood deals on the LCR 38 lately..
I must say all the centerfire LCRs I have owned have been great ..

Anyone shot the .327 LCR?
<--- Owner of a .327 LCR.

Good pistol.
Marginally lower recoil than a .357, with the .327 Federal 100 gr American Eagle load -- the hottest factory ammo on the market.
And though I, personally, find muzzle blast and report to be less offensive than .357, most people do find it to be just as bad, if not worse than .357 (45k psi for .327 vs 35k psi for .357).

I like it.

I have huge hands.

I can shoot my friend's 357 LCR with 38's or moderate 357's with no problem. It has the original grips.

I got a great deal on a used 38 LCR at my LGS and had a lot of trouble controlling it with medium power 38's.

I put the slightly larger LCRx grips on it and now have no problems shooting it. It is slightly larger to conceal with the larger grips, but I carry it a lot and shoot it about as well as any other snubbie.

What is flame cutting?
In this context:
Hot gases escaping between the cylinder and forcing cone, and eroding the top strap of the revolver. The result is a very fine, but shallow 'cut' in the top strap.
Pick up a well-used revolver in nearly any chambering, and you'll see flame-cutting. It is, however, more pronounced at low round counts with certain chamberings (like .357 Maximum, .327 Federal, and a few others).

Google "revolver flame cutting" to see some images.

Wife and I both have lcr’s in 38 and we both have well over a few thousand rounds shot from each, we shoot 158 grain extreme cooper coated bulllets over 4.5 grains of unique and we have zero signs of flame cutting.

Back