LCR .327 thoughts.....

Sorry, seeker_two, but we can see a spitball for what it is; a way to get away from and to try and rationalize the "rules". The rules here are, when your life is at stake and bullets are being tossed back and forth, having 20% more ammunition at your disposal (6 vs 5) is nothing to make light of-even if you have to pay a little more to be proficient.
Batter up! :D
That thought was a bit high and outside.....I thought the rules of a gunfight was to hit the target with all of the rounds you have....and practice makes that a lot more likely to do. When a non-reloader can get two boxes of 9mm for the price of one box of .32Mag, then practice becomes a greater likelihood. And a 90gr. JHP is pretty gentle in the recoil department.
^^^^^ (6 vs 5)^^^
That's pretty much how I feel about my sig and its 20 round clip.:eek:
You keep your corked bat outta this! [emoji1]

There is a fair amount of various 32s on line. It is not terribly expensive as compared to premium SD ammo.

You can find 32 SW Long for practice at about $24 for 50.

seeker_two said:
...have you considered the LCR in 9mm? It's on the .357 steel frame, and mild 9mm loads are cheaper easier to find than .32 Mag loads these days.
True, BUT...
  • There is no lower-powered fall-back round if you don't like the recoil of full-bore loads. Since commercial 9mm is loaded under the assumption that it will be used in a semi-auto, manufacturers don't load it below a certain power level, and so-called "Low Recoil" commercial loads IMHO really aren't low-recoil when compared to the same concept in a revolver cartridge.*
  • You have to fiddle with moon clips.† This can be a turnoff for folks who aren't really into guns.
Footnotes:

* Yes, you COULD load special low-recoil 9mm if you handload, but if you do, the availability and cost of .32-caliber ammo wouldn't be a problem. :)

† I don't know if the 9mm LCR has shouldered chambers like S&W 9mm revolvers to allow it to be fired without moons in a pinch. OTOH if it does, the empties would still have to be individually picked or punched out with a tool, which is annoying and/or impractical in most situations.

EDIT TO ADD:
Glenn E. Meyer said:
You can find 32 SW Long for practice at about $24 for 50.
AIM pretty consistently stocks it for $14-$16/50 if you mail-order.

Last edited:
The LCR 327 is an excellent revolver. I've had the pleasure of taking some friends out with LCRs in different calibers with different ammo types and shooting them "blind". After a very "scientific"... or at least "fun" afternoon of destroying old junk and busting water jugs across the range, we ended up with a consensus. We all picked the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal as our ideal ratio of power to recoil or controllability for the platform. In fact, we found the recoil largely indistinguishable from some of the .38 +p rounds.

We tried heavier loadings in the .327 but they all started to take on some of the drawbacks found with .357 magnum in an alloy snub. They were workable but none had the almost magic balance of the Hydra-Shoks. We even preferred them to the one .32 H&R magnum load we could scrounge up! Of course, we were all wearing hearing protection and taking planned shots in broad daylight. This is a loud round, only slightly more pleasant than .357 in that respect. I haven't fired it at night, but there seems to be a lot of flash too. For indoor use, possibly when woken from sleep, that .32 H&R round might be the way to go. For regular pocket carry, stick with the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig
...have you considered the LCR in 9mm? It's on the .357 steel frame, and mild 9mm loads are cheaper easier to find than .32 Mag loads these days.

That wasn't me...;)

QUOTE: "That thought was a bit high and outside.....I thought the rules of a gunfight was to hit the target with all of the rounds you have....and practice makes that a lot more likely to do. When a non-reloader can get two boxes of 9mm for the price of one box of .32Mag, then practice becomes a greater likelihood. And a 90gr. JHP is pretty gentle in the recoil department."

You're about to strike out on this if you follow your argument to its logical extreme: If capacity means little and cheap practice in order to"hit the target with all the rounds you have" is everything, I see a two-shot Derringer, chambered in .22 rf , in your future. Maybe a sacrifice bunt is in order?

^^^^ Post fixed. :o :D I misinterpreted the QUOTE: part.

dgludwig, to generate quotes with a username, write quote=Username, wrapped in brackets []. To end the quote, write /quote in brackets.

I really wish a company would make a 4" 327. Would be a versatile gun.

I wish Ruger would make the .327 Magnum chambered LCR revolver with a 3" long barrel, not just to increase velocity and reduce muzzle blast a bit but to also make the gun handle and point a little better. I don't think an inch longer barrel (over the current 2" version) would unduly affect the gun's already good concealment properties.

so whats your take on this round for ccw/home defense? I like the fact that it can be loaded down to .32 Long levels and still better ballistics and ignition reliability than the .22 mag version.

im considering this gun ammo combo for a female family member not in to guns and recoil shy.

If its for someone not into guns why would you recommend that chambering? I don't have a 2" 327 but I do have a 2" 32 mag and the muzzle blast is very sharp. I don't think a beginner is going to enjoy that gun at all. And so yes you can get 32 longs and they will help but if shooting 32 longs why not just but a 32 long revolver?

S&W models 30 and 31 are pretty common on Gunbroker so finding a gun for a price you can live with should be easy. I have 3 32 long smiths with 2, 3, and 4" barrels. They are a lot more peasant to shoot the the 32 mag is. The 32 mag is loud in a ruger single six with a 5.5" barrel.

And there are lots of the old H&R 32 long revolvers for sale. The same gun and load that was used to kill the Scarsdale Diet doctor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Harris

My uncle was a homicide cop on the Ft Worth PD and gave his wife an S&W model 30 in 32 long with a 2" barrel for personal and HD use. He knew that was plenty of power for its intended use.

^ You're certainly not alone with that thought. I want longer barreled LCR's and so do a lot of other people. Ruger's just not bothering though, they have to come out with a .41 Magnum GP100 in a 3" barrel first, a 9mm SP101 after that, a limited edition steel frame LCP II, and a 7.62x39 model of the Ruger American.

IMO, I would rather have 4 inch long barreled models than 3 inch barrel models just for the extra velocity and sight radius. I know a 3 inch barrel is easier to conceal carry, but for a .22 or .327 LCR with a longer barrel, I'm not carrying them for concealing, I want a fast open carry draw if I need to shoot a rabid animal. I would prefer the revolver be light weight and have the best sights possible, thus a 4 inch LCR fits that bill. Now if Ruger would make it, they've have my Benjamin's, but no...

Last edited:
I like the 6th shot and with the Speer 100 grain (Gold Dot).327 Magnum, this gun has plenty of Magnum punch for me.

The 100 grain American Eagle ammo is pretty stout for for both blast and recoil, but it's rated@1,500 fps!

I'm hoping for the 85 grain A&E to be a bit tamer.

I don't reload, and really only bought the gun for it's Magnum
power.

Still, less recoil than shoting an LCR in .357 Magnum, and you
get that what might be all-important 6th-shot:)

Recoil with the .32 H&R Magnum SWC was silly soft.

The ability for the gun to shoot most .32 loads, even with
some guys using .32 ACP.

HKS speed loaders seem to work well with the 100 grain
A&E load and that's a lot of nasty on both ends..

If I could afford it, I'd buy a case of SPEER Gold Dots and be
quite happy with 4 speed loaders of the .327 in my vest pockets.

I love LCRs, and this gun makes sense to me. Just a little stiffled
by lack of variety in practice ammo.

Hate to burst your Christmas bubble, but you're not going to get 1500 fps with the 100 grain Federal .327 load in an LCR. Not even close. Best you can expect is probably 1300 fps, which is still not bad.

IMO, the now discontinued 115 Speer Gold Dot load was the best for the .327 cartridge. Just massive amount of power and the smaller diameter means better penetration. I'm just using an experienced guess here, but the 115 grain .327 JHP could probably get 18 inches of penetration in ballistic gel.

S&W models 30 and 31 are pretty common on Gunbroker so finding a gun for a price you can live with should be easy. I have 3 32 long smiths with 2, 3, and 4" barrels. They are a lot more peasant to shoot the the 32 mag is. The 32 mag is loud in a ruger single six with a 5.5" barrel.

And there are lots of the old H&R 32 long revolvers for sale. The same gun and load that was used to kill the Scarsdale Diet doctor

maybe you misunderstood.

the S&W model 30/31 are several hundreds of dollars more than an LCR, and I thought I alluded to the .32 S&W Long would be the choice load. the old H&R revolvers have terrible D/A triggers compared to the center fire LCR. why you mention the S/A single six is beyond me, as the gun would not be best for a person 'not in to guns'.

I'm very sad to hear that the 115-grain Gold Dots have been discontinued. They are my favorite load for the SP101 and I just bought some the other day. :(

The 100-grain JSP from American Eagle are surprisingly hot. I don't have a chronograph but they really cook from a 4" SP101. My only problem was a few bonus "extra power" loads from the factory. That can be a dangerous thing when already working at these pressure levels. I had a few bulged cases and then a "really extra" one split. The blast actually knocked the revolver out of time. It was fixable, but the experience leaves me with questions.

FWIW, I shoot 32's a lot. My favorite is my Single Six, but I have four or five others. I would never try to shoot 32acp out of a 32 S&W short or long revolver because it builds up more pressure than those revolvers were designed for. I shoot it out of my 32/327 magnum revolvers sometimes. Out of the six or so I've tried it in, my results were mixed. I think it went about like this: two wouldn't fire 32acp no matter what, two would set off some rounds and not others, some would shoot it just fine. Oddly enough, two were the exact same make and model, but one would shoot it and one wouldn't. My guess is that it has something to do with very small differences in how far the firing pin protrudes, but that's just a guess.

My daughter dislikes recoil and has been shooting 32 S&W long since she was nine years old. It has never bothered her a bit. Back then she didn't like 32acp AT ALL... until I bought my Colt 1903. :)

Back