LCR .327 thoughts.....

JERRYS.

so whats your take on this round for ccw/home defense? I like the fact that it can be loaded down to .32 Long levels and still better ballistics and ignition reliability than the .22 mag version.

im considering this gun ammo combo for a female family member not in to guns and recoil shy.

im considering this gun ammo combo for a female family member not in to guns and recoil shy.

This being the case you might consider the Ruger SP101 as well. Yes its heavier, but that's the tradeoff for lighter recoil. Currently the website only lists this combination with a 4 inch barrel, but I'm fairly certain that it was previously offered in .327 fed mag with the 2.25 barrel. Perhaps you could find one used or online.

I like having that extra shot over a 5-shot J-frame Smith and I think the .327 Magnum compares well with a +P .38 Special in terms of power from a small handgun intended for use as self-defense.

yes, the extra shot over a J frame .38. the lower recoil options to go with the light gun, and the DAO trigger is more smooth and easier than any J frame I own.

It is perfect for someone like that - every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I don't understand why people think there is nothing in between 22 and 38.

32 S&W and 32 S&W long are very mild cartridges. 32 H&R magnum is easy to shoot, imho. Depending on exact loads, any of these will likely have a bullet more than double the mass and nearly 150% of the diameter of a 22.

Am I crazy? Are there really people who can't shoot 32 S&W?

And the manual of arms is so simple and intuitive.

IMHO, a 32 revolver is an excellent choice for someone who wants a handgun for SD, but doesn't like recoil and is unlikely to practice much.

I own a .327 LCR.
(And a 4.2" SP101. And a 4" GP100. And a 5.5" Blackhawk. :D)

For some one that's recoil shy, I would look at the .327 LCR as a .32 H&R revolver that's capable of shooting .327 Federal.

While still not terrible, .327 Federal fired in the LCR still isn't, exactly, 'pleasant'. Add cold hands and/or some one with thin, bony fingers and no real muscle or fat in the hands, and it goes right into painful.

While my wife will shoot almost any of my .327 Federal revolvers "all day long" with hot .32 H&R loads, she isn't fond of full power .327 Federal, even in her 5.5" Blackhawk that weighs three times as much as the LCR (48 oz vs 16.5 oz). And she won't fire the LCR with full power .32 H&R any more. It's 'sissy loads' or she goes to the GP100.

Full power loads in the .327 LCR are not as bad as .357 Mag, in my opinion; but still far from the magical transition to baby kisses and unicorn farts that some people want you to believe.

Bottom line:
It's a good choice, but sticking with some of the 'baby brother' cartridges is probably a good idea for someone recoil sensitive.

Doing something like starting with .32 S&W Long standard loads and slowly working up to .32 H&R power levels (over 200-300+ rounds) might be a reasonable way of avoiding recoil aversion and fear of the revolver.

I like the .327 LCR, I've considered it as a low recoil shooting option, but then I think if most of what I would shoot with it is .32 Long or .32 H&R Magnum (which I don't like as much as the ammunition is expensive and hard to find) then I'd rather get a used H&R .32 S&W Long revolver for around $200 or a Charter Arms Undercoverette in .32 Mag. Idk what the quality is of Charter Arms today, but you can find them online for $320. You do lose a round compared to the LCR though and, like you, I love the range of power that the .327 offers especially in the LCR. I've long considered the .327 LCR to be a "family gun" being that it can be weak for women and children to shoot, but strong for men.

My 632 when firing 327 isn't without some noticeable recoil. But with 32 HR it's mild. Not an LCR but I don't have one of those.

There are a wide range of 32 cal rounds and even HP and WC for 32 HR Mag and SW long. It is a debate in the snubby carry world whether wadcutters are the best round for self defense. A fair number of people think so.

I like my 327's because of its ability to be a "six shooter" in terms of # of capacity and ammo type. However, the short barrels really sap a lot of the energy from this round. I really wish a company would make a 4" 327. Would be a versatile gun.

Hate to throws curve ball.....but have you considered the LCR in 9mm? It's on the .357 steel frame, and mild 9mm loads are cheaper easier to find than .32 Mag loads these days.

QUOTE: Hate to throws curve ball.....but have you considered the LCR in 9mm? It's on the .357 steel frame, and mild 9mm loads are cheaper easier to find than .32 Mag loads these days.

A knuckle ball right back at you-lots of us like that sixth round in a small-framed revolver like the LCR meant for self-defense. :p :)

A knuckle ball right back at you-lots of us like that sixth round in a small-framed revolver like the LCR meant for self-defense.

Here's the slider.....the sixth round doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything with the first five because you couldn't practice with the expensive, hard-to-find ammo.....

:D

Here's the slider.....the sixth round doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything with the first five because you couldn't practice with the expensive, hard-to-find ammo.....
Don't buy the gun, if you can't find ammo.
That's a fairly standard rule.

But... not much of an issue for .327 these days.
The only places around me that don't carry .327 Federal and .32 H&R are Dick's and Sportsman's Warehouse (SW has never carried .327 Federal ammunition - at least in this region).
And, most places, .327 Federal is now cheaper than .38 Special and .357 Mag.

Even if that's not the case elsewhere... There's always the internet, and/or the reloading bench.

Sorry, seeker_two, but we can see a spitball for what it is; a way to get away from and to try and rationalize the "rules". The rules here are, when your life is at stake and bullets are being tossed back and forth, having 20% more ammunition at your disposal (6 vs 5) is nothing to make light of-even if you have to pay a little more to be proficient.
Batter up! :D

Back