LCP vs PICO vs SCCY vs ?

DAKA

Anyone have any FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with these three?
GENITRON gives the SCCY CXP (380) a lot less recoil factor.
OR, any 380 no bigger than these...

Pico is top shelf. Do a search, many pics. Also love the Kahr CW380. Have a LCP, but no longer shoot it much. Never shot the SCCY, although too big for my preference. The Pico and the Kahr are mild shooters, very pleasant. And so is the Kahr CM9 which only weighs 15oz. Love all these guns including the Beretta Nano.

I have an LCP, I have never had an issue with it. Love the size. The SCCY, is a larger pistol. I had to have mine serviced for failing to extract. Since they went over it no issues. A friend had a Pico, sent it back twice and had to get rid of it, could never get it to fire reliable with his wife. Could have been grip issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never liked anything about the first gen LCP when I rented or even held it. The Pico feels considerably more solid and it's run reliably over about 500 rounds, although it did have a few double feeds during the first 200 or so.

Haven't experienced the SCCY but I was very unimpressed with their 9mm pistols. Felt cheap, ergonomics were weird, didn't like the trigger.

Pico trigger is actually excellent. It's possible to be very accurate with it. The grip is small and slippery so I'm still looking for a solution to help with that. I may try gritty Talon Grips next. The rubber sleeves I've found tend to slide around during shooting.

Remember a gun this size is the ultimate compromise. I'm very fond of my Pico but carry only when clothing rules out all else.

I never liked anything about the first gen LCP when I rented or even held it. The Pico feels considerably more solid and it's run reliably over about 500 rounds, although it did have a few double feeds during the first 200 or so.

Haven't experienced the SCCY but I was very unimpressed with their 9mm pistols. Felt cheap, ergonomics were weird, didn't like the trigger.

Pico trigger is actually excellent. It's possible to be very accurate with it. The grip is small and slippery so I'm still looking for a solution to help with that. I may try gritty Talon Grips next. The rubber sleeves I've found tend to slide around during shooting.

Remember a gun this size is the ultimate compromise. I'm very fond of my Pico but carry only when clothing rules out all else.
Ohio, guy, yes the gipe is slippery, but just a little bit of grip takes care of that. Also the modular grip design mean you can experiment with DIY stippling. I have two Pico's and love these well built mild shooters. If I told you have many rounds I have through one of them, no one would believe me. Very Durable guns.

Additional grips are inexpensive.

Ocbue43.jpg

KfPhR6X.jpg

Beretta Nano Professional stippling on left

t6oaxlg.jpg

Last edited:
Light weigh holsters

I have these for all my Small pistols and revolvers as well. Like IWB, but not holsters.I want it light weight,no bulk. Fast and easy. Like this on my Beretta Nano.

eHXE1Wa.jpg

Carl,

What are those "thingies" on the leather tong over your trigger housing. I know I'm going to feel a fool when you tell me but I gotta know.

My 1st gen Elsie Pea is my every day companion. Never a problem. Shoots as accuratly as you can expect for a tiny "mouse gun". Disappears in any type of clothing. Personally I don't find it hard to shoot, or particularly uncomfortable. As for the grip, I added a Hogue Handall Jr. Rubber grip sleve which both gave a stickier feel, and a bit more body without sugnificantly increasing the size.

I've carried both the LCP and Pico. I think that the Pico is the more elegant pistol, better made with better sights. My one problem with the Pico is its odd shape; doesn't lend itself to a pocket holster that's comfortable for me.
The sights and trigger on the LCP first generation weren't much of an improvement over my older P3-ATs. The LCP custom came out, the one with the red trigger and better sights, and I decided to try. Was disappointed with the reliability until I changed the recoil spring for a 12 pound Wolf replacement. All reliability problems went away, and the LCP fits well in an Uncle Mikes or DeSantis holster. The LCP custom is my carry piece now.

Carl,

What are those "thingies" on the leather tong over your trigger housing. I know I'm going to feel a fool when you tell me but I gotta know.
Not 'Carl' but a way to carry this, with a clip, ClipDraw type thing, over your belt, lanyard attached to belt..so you can carry with one in the chamber, safely..Pull gun out, pull far enough, cover comes off trigger..

Carry my Glock 42 this way and also with the LCP, before I sold it..

Rightly, wrongly, or indifferently I chose a LCP Custom Gen 2.

I didn't like the ergos of the Pico and don't trust the SCCY's.

My LCP is a bugger to shoot but once I added a Hogue Handall it's usable.

I had an LCP for a long time. Good carry gun because it was so small. Still, not the highest quality gun. Once I sprung for a P238, there was no point. . . I traded it.

The first gen lcp has been good to me. Long trigger, and low sights but reliable, tiny and accurate. A piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip and your in business. I haven’t shot the most recent version of the lcp but I think I would prefer it for the taller sights and better ergonomics. Also I’m sure the trigger is easier to manage in a hurry, but I also like the long pull of the first gen because I feel like it adds some safety to a gun that has no manual thumb safety and may be carried loosely in a pocket or soft pocket holster unlike a glock or something where you really need a good trigger blocking holster if you have a round chambered.

The sccy is kind of the same in regards to it’s long trigger pull, but is easier to manage in a hurry vs the 1st gen lcp, due to the better sights and just because it has a more hand filling grip and more natural distance to reach and fully pull the trigger (in my opinion anyway). I haven’t shot one in 380 but have in 9mm. They are actually really good guns for the money. The first so many they produced were plagued with problems, but they were all easily solved and very well understood issues, so that when they fixed them, they actually fixed them! It’s my understanding that all of their new guns are expected to be reliable and of good quality.
The sccy is a bit bulky, kind of a square grip, and if you get one, I would recommend you get it without the thumb safety because it really does get in the way when racking the slide and it’s easy to unintentionally reactivate during a reload. But overall I think they are pretty good guns.

I suspect you can get a brand new gen 2 lcp and a brand new no issues sccy for about $200 each these days. And you’d likely be happy with either. Just depends on how small you want to go, what you like the feel of, how you want to carry it, if you want a bit more magazine capacity, and some other factors I’m sure.

I don’t know anything about the Pico.

Last edited:
Just purchased a SCCY CPX-3 in .380 last week. First trip to the range was successful. 100 rounds down range without ant hiccups.

The trigger will take some getting used to but, overall, it seems to be a very solid, well made gun. No slop between mating surfaces, everything seems to fit without hardware rattling around.

Also have an LCP II (not a fun gun to shoot) and an M&P .380 EZ. It is, as it's name describes, EZ in every sense of the word..accurate too!

The Pico is nice, well made, easy to take down, but I couldn't get a positive grip on it. My LCP gen 2 fits much better and is a few oz lighter, just a bit more involved to disassemble.

Haven't shot the SCCY, only handled the Pico. LCP is just fine, but a bit too small for my XXL sized paws. For just a bit more grip room, I went with a Kahr CT380. Gets 1 extra round over the LCP, which makes the grip just long enough to get the edge of my pinky on there. Still disappears in a pocket, and there aren't many DAO triggers out there that are better than Kahr. Oh yeah, and I found it on sale new for $190, which just appealed to the cheap skate in me.

My Kahr P380 is much easier to shoot and even a bit smaller than my 1st gen LCP. I recently added a green laser sight activated by my finger pressing against the grip. Highly recommended.

Back