LC Smith 1900 sxs - black powder?

No, it DOES NOT ALWAYS produce bubbles in the steel, and I'm familiar with the differnce between Damascus and fluid steel barrels. What you're talking about is the difference in the way the steel was smelted in the first place, and more primitive forms do have more slag inclusions. But that's a separate issue from getting good or bad forge welds between laminations of different metals. And I acknowledge there's a lot more opportunities for problems with Damascus if for some reason the welds are bad. But if they were made by a competent smith, then YES THEY ARE fused into one solid piece. That's the whole point and the very definition of good forge welding.

Rust does not happen inside the steel where it can't be exposed to air or chemical reactions. It would start from the surface somewhere. If you're referring to inclusions and flaws within the steel, how do you KNOW that none exist in any of your non-Damascus barrels, that might let go after another 3000 rounds?

Like I mentioned, proof tests back then should have established that the barrels were good to start. If I doubted their condition that much I may retire the gun, have it reproofed, or whatever. I appreciate your concern, but have researched the issue to my own satisfaction. I'm not telling you what to do, or trying to make you think your own guns WILL blow up in your face.

OK, I'm a bit confused. I've never shot BP, but I was under the impression that black powder shells were less powerful than today's nitro loads. I just ordered 12 gauge black powder shotshells for my 1919 Remington mod 11A, which for the last several years I've been shooting today's high brass nitro shells with no problems. So should a standard load of BP be a problem?

OK, I'm a bit confused. I've never shot BP, but I was under the impression that black powder shells were less powerful than today's nitro loads. I just ordered 12 gauge black powder shotshells for my 1919 Remington mod 11A, which for the last several years I've been shooting today's high brass nitro shells with no problems. So should a standard load of BP be a problem?

A gun that old may have short chambers. If it's not marked for 2 3/4 shells it could be anywhere from 2 1/2- 2 5/8. A 2 3/4 will fit but the crimp will open up over the forcing cone and will raise chamber pressure considerably. modern shot shells are loaded to dram equivalent. Meaning about equal to a bp shell. The pressure difference is what's bad. Smokeless has a higher pressure spike than bp.

Well, I see no chamber size stamped on it, but I've been shooting 2 3/4" shells over the last few years with it, and to my knowledge, my Dad shot the same in it. So if the BP shells I ordered measure 2 3/4" is there any concern? Or am I missing something else? Thanks.

Note: To discontinue the high jack of this thread, I will continue on a new thread.

Last edited:
I would have the chamber measured. Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it wont. I grew up shooting modern 2 3/4 shells in damascus barrels and an original 1887 Winchester with no mishaps but I won't do it now.

Back