Law Enforcement as a Career xx

OK, no weekend off for years.

No dayshift for years.

You don't see your old buddies or a lot of your relatives anymore.

Your wife or your girlfriend leave you because they're tired of not having a normal social life with you.

If you're married, you go into it together. Your significant other must understand the commitment you are making and it must be made together. There'll be a lot of lonely nights without you. Plenty of worrying whether your footsteps approach your door as you return home. Or perhaps a solemn knock and with a uniformed officer giving reporting your death or injury.

Then there's the sickening parts of the job. Running of out rubber gloves and finding out the guy you're frisking has wet pants, and it's not the rain. Having the to deal with the drunks or transients whose smell alone makes your eyes water. Getting stuck with a dirty needle. Endless spousal abuse reports that make you want to tear some guy's head off. The swelling anger when you find an abused child or an abandoned baby.

It's not the TV stuff where you meet clean people and pretty women.

I've talked with a lot of cops from throughout the world. A lot of us get into it because of some notion of serving mankind. Then we reach middle age and find that we have no job skills and can't get out! :) It's not all that bad and you become instant middle class; but it certainly isn't the stuff the media makes it out to be. If you go into it, go into it with open eyes and never ever leave school. Keep getting those degrees because you may just want to go private someday.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Rob43-

Your description of the job gets me all excited. It's everything I had hoped it owuld be. Really, that sounds like a fun carreer to me and everything I expect.

I have gone on many ride alongs, and my dad was a Cop for over three decades so I am familiar with the job. I think it is going to be my calling and the best job in the world. I guess some people are just cut out for it.

As far as the off topic stuff - who says Police Officers are supposed to be a reflection of the community? That sounds like some PC mumbo jumbo to me. And, by that premise, what you are saying is that in the white areas, we should only hire white officers. Somehow I don't think that would go over too well.
People should be hired by their qulifications, period. Anything less is racism, period.
Being a minority, when someone else gets hired purely because of their race, it really pisses me off. Why? Because they just took my job! Not only that, but they just got the job by not working for it, so my efforts are wasted! If people are hiring by quotas, and they hire people just for their race, then when I apply, guess what, the quota is filled and I don't get hired. No thanks, I want to be hired for my efforts and my qualifications, not because of my race.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited December 16, 1999).]

PC mumbo jumbo? Hmm, I guess Robert Peel (check spelling) didn't know what he was talking about when he invented the very first police academy. Just be sure to tell your feelings about all of this at the oral interview. :)

OK, I just read the prior postings. Now, Phillip and Sig, COOL it dudes. Back off and take a breather, OK?

------------------

First of all, thank you Beretta Boy. You da' man.
Red Bull, You da' man and I know how you feel.

We are unfortunate in Society to be discriminated against PERIOD. The fact that minorities get Government/Public jobs based on said is a disgrace.

Qualification is morally and logically the ONLY way that ANYONE should be promoted/hired, etc.....

There are too many minorities that got hired as cops and they abuse their power to protect their own people, pathetic [c'mon you think that most minorities don't let their own get away with s%&t, open your eyes. They stick it to the cracker' though]. The fact that they AUTOMATICALLY score higher (get free points) on exams makes many sick to their stomachs. [Geez, these people are supposed to be protecting others, and they have guns?]

For everyone that may even agree with a drop of how I feel, please read the following Boston Police policy that is in effect as of 12/15/99:

Boston Police stated in their new policy that for ANYONE to get promoted they MUST PASS THE EXAM BASED ON QUALIFICATION ALONE. NO MORE FREE POINTS. The minority official association is outraged and is seeking legal compensation, now how pathetic is that crap. They're pissed because they don't get their precious freebies anymore and actually have to be somewhat intelligent
WHY???????? because we will see less minorities as cops????
WHY???????? Can't they pass like the average white man (some, I don't vouch for all whites)????
WHY???????? Why are the minorities pissed off at this logical decision? It doesn't make any sense.

I'll be truthful, I've seen way too many white people (some good friends) get passed up for policeman, firefighter, etc. to some minority that had 10 LESS POINTS ON THE TEST. Others had to wait for years to get on. Even in my profession, when I first hired out in the ranks I had to wait 2 years before I could get in.
Guess what, out of the 20 minorities that got hired, ONLY 1 IS LEFT. The others were fired for incompetance and lack of motivation. What does that prove.

I also don't really agree with the whole "I want to speak with a woman cop" idea. Some women make excellent cops, some better than a man. But they SHOULD BE QUALIFIED.

I'm happy that I can volunteer my time (for free) and serve the public while being happy in my own profession. I never wanted to even deal with the LEO hiring process. I knew that if I scored a 100, I would be passed up for a minority (happens all of the time) and I might have done something stupid.

Bizack to the firing rizange.

"Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 16, 1999).]

This is my final reply to this thread. I remember a few years back I was trying to get hired with a certain private medical facility. I was excited to get called by this place, and an interview was quickly set up. To make a long story short, when I walked in to the interviewing room, they took one look at me and told me that the position had been taken. About 3 days later a friend of mine went to this interview and was hired. I wasn't angry that they hired him over me, but was angry because I was never given a chance. Did I sit here feeling sorry for myself complaining on how the system sucked? Hell no! I kept looking at different places till I was eventually hired. This "us against them" thing doesn't get any better if you ever become a police officer. Frankly I think the oral board would be a little concerned about the latter. BTW, there is also a medical, polygraph, and psychological test that must be passed other than the written exam. Just because you scored high on the written doesn't mean you're home free.

The reason that I didn't go into Law Enforcement as I origionally intended is that I found out that much of the time most of the "bad guys" get off with little or no punishment. The rest of the time is spent doing paperwork, dealing with people you wouldn't normally care to associate with, and being bored out of your mind waiting for the shift to end. Add on top of that all the junk and stress... NO thanks!

Having said that, my hat is off to the good "cops" out there who have the temperment to do the job day after day... it takes a special kind of person.

One good thing about becoming a police officer is the training/education you get... it could open doors to more rewarding positions...

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Jorge - One problem: You are making a GIANT assumption that just because of your race they turned you down for the job. White people get turned down for jobs all the time. The problem is, too many minorities jump to the conclusion that it is their race, because society tells them that they are discrimiated against. When a white person or light skinned person gets turned down for a job, they do not have the option to blame race, so they look to other reasons they didn't get hired. You should not assume that you were discriminated against. Many white people have walked into an interview and been told that the job was full, that is just the way it goes....you don't get every job you interview for. I know white people that have interviewed for YEARS, dozens of interviews that they were turned down for. It happens to everyybody and it has nothing to do with race.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited December 16, 1999).]

I have to say that I am becoming concerned with the way race is being thown around here. We all know of hiring practices that give advantage to one group or another. I too feel that this is wrong and it should be most qualified and outstanding person for the job. I just want you to consider for a moment the LEO works in. You say he is racist because you perceive that he or she doesn't like this or that group. You dont remember the asian family who was extremely patient with you when yuo wrote out your first accident report. No you remember the little "sh&^%&%d" who pretended not to understand english after you clocked him at 60mph in a 35. You dont remember the black man who was so appreciative when you came to his house after receiving racist threat phone calls. No, you remember the black kid in the lowrider wearing his gang colors and spitting at you. The LEO will see the worst that any group had to offer. Rich snobs, white trash, you name it! Hey, I had a Sister (this refers to a Catholic Nun) explain to me that I should be out catching real criminals and not stopping her for the burnt out tail lights on her VW bus full of other sisters. No group is without its undesireables. Except maybe the Chineese. I understand that in China if they dont like your group they roll in the tanks and have you shot.
Just try to be consistant. When you get the job, and you will if you are truely the best to be had, treat everyone as well as you can. When the time comes you'll know who to bounce off the cruiser hood but let them make an ass of themselves first. It makes it that much easier and rewarding.

My two cents and I'm gonna be late for work.

First off, if I was to tell a minority officer that I wanted to speak to a WHITE officer, and the media got ahold of this, I would be deemed a white supremicist, and people would hate me. They would label me. What is another way to say "a labeled white man?" REVERSE racism...
Racism is sad, racism is ugly... so is war, and death, and famine... but you know what? Even though racism is absolutely horrible... quotas are NOT the answer. They are reverse racism. They are discriminating against a white man, because even though he is more qualified, they would rather hire a minority.
And as for minorities needing to be around to serve other minorities, that's all well and fine. Except that you can't always choose who you get to help you. SOMETIMES you have to take what help you can get. If you are saying that we need quotas for minorities to get these LEO jobs, then you are insulting many races, because I beleive that they can get these jobs WITHOUT them.
Rid the world of Quotas AND racism
and just take the racists out of power!

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

I think we can all agree that subjecting an individual to disparate treatment and being the subject of disparate treatment because of our national race, origin, gender, religion or whatever is neither fair nor fun. I also think we as individuals have all encountered it and found it uncomfortable. Right? Good!

Now, if this thread is to continue, let's focus on Fat's original question on the process of being selected as a law enforcement officer. Thanks.

------------------

Fats, also check out http://leolinks.com

BTW SIG if you are reading this, my apologies. At least we can agree on the best pistols around.

[This message has been edited by Phillip (edited December 17, 1999).]

I would like to thank all those that took the time to offer their input. Most of it was very helpful.

I'm going to try to set up a ride-a-long next week.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have some more specific questions at a later date. Until then...

Fats

Too many feelings involved here.

Beretta BOy, You da' man.

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

Fats,
After wading through all these diverse comments, I want to get back to your original question - "Should I consider law enforcement as a career?".
After 11 years as a LEO (I'm actually a virgo, if you must know ;-))I can truthfully tell you that I am glad that I chose this career. I entered law enforcement as a reserve deputy while still in an insurance job (what i know refer to as my "former life") and got hooked. I gave up my insurance career (and a very good salary) to enter law enforcement on a full-time basis. Yes, parts of law enforcement are exciting, parts are sad, parts are boring, and parts will make you mad. But no other profession that I know of allows you to make a real difference on a daily basis.
If you decide to enter the profession - and I sincerely hope you do - understand what you are getting into, and be ready to constantly remind yourself of why you made the decision that you did when you raised your right hand and swore the oath.
I wish you the best of luck, and always remember to "Be careful out there".
Deputy (and VERY proud of it) KC
P.S., Fats, ask one of my children what Daddy does and they will tell you "He's a Sheriff's Deputy, and he saves people". Someone out there tell me that doesn't make it all worth while.

Deputy KC,

Thanks for the post. Imagining a child saying "He's a Sheriff's Deputy, and he saves people". is a wonderful thought. I wish you and your family all the best this holiday season. Keep up the good work.

It is people like you that make things work.

all the best,

Fats

After 26+ yrs with a major Dept in So. Cal, I can't think of a valid reason to become a cop. The anti-white racism during promotions and the hiring process is criminal. Every week the method of doing things changes. The stress placed upon officers is constant and it isn't from the public...it's from the brass. They want you to go out there and stop all the crime, conduct field interviews, issue citations, book DUI suspects, conduct neighborhood watch meeting, train younger officers, etc. And do all this without generating any personnel complaints.

Personnel Complaints. With my Dept, a complaint is in the mind of the complainant, not whether the officer actually committed any act of misconduct. For example, if a traffic violator says that the officer had a bad attitude (even though the violator can't describe what he means by a "bad attitude")during the issuance of the cite, the supervisor MUST take a complaint and it MUST be FORMALLY investigated. Then it goes in your personnel file...no matter what the finding. Officers now carry tape recorders just to protect themselves from false accusations.

Bottom line is that police work has changed drastically in the last 8 yrs. The vast majority of the officers (no matter what their tenure) operate in a very low key status, doing only the bare minimum. To bad, as this is not what they wanted when the joined. Also almost every officer in my Dept is looking at other Depts to lateral to. They just don't want to put up with the crap. Stress kills.

Knowing what I know now, I would join the fire dept.

Fats, not being a cop but a psychologist
who has some interest in these matters, read

Deadly Force Encounters : What C0PS Need to Know to Mentally and Physically Prepare
for and Survive a Gunfight
by Alexis, Dr. Artwohl, Loren W. Christensen

One is a cop and the other a shrink. Gives you a feel for it. Talk to someone who made it through the real deal. I have a LEO friend
who was stabbed 7 times, still took the guy down and stayed on the job. He's an ASLET type now. Now do you want to be this guy in
20 years and have lived his life.

My two cents - I'm staying out of the race war
as I'm too busy in the God wars in the Iowa
thread.

Almost 20 years with the NYPD. Layoffs, a divorce, a heart attack and open heart surgery. Broken bones, cuts, bruises, road rash, an occasional beat up. Was it worth it? Hell yeah! Where else can you get a front row seat to the greatest show on earth? It`s a tough job but you won`t know unless you try it. Good luck whatever you decide.

Consider many things. I am a reserve deputy, but a full time dentist. I have really gotten to understand people. Law Enforcement can be rewarding, but as said previously very boring repetative paperwork. I started off by listening to a police scanner and eventually went on a ride along. I have had many positive experiences, which drove me into it more. Depending on your State there are different requirements. Check with your local LE agencies and try a ride along; then do what your HEART desires.

Good Luck.

Back