Law Enforcement as a Career xx

Fats

Inactive
Hey there,

I was just curious as to the process of choosing Law Enforcement as a Career. I am absolutely in the dark. What steps should one take? What is the process like? What are the experiences of others who have choosen this path?

Thanks for your assistance

Oops,

I just realized that I posted this in the Handguns and Pistolcraft forum...

Probably not that appropriate.

My apologies...

Hey Fats. Where the hell did you post it then?

Anyway, I'll answer for you.

I live in Taxachusetts so things are a little different here. I'm an Auxilliary PO only because I have an executive Managerial position

Anyway, where do you live? Your first stop should be to call the state house to see if they require a civil service examination. If they do; take it, pass it, and you may be on a list to be called after the minorities (only because they are more intelligent than the white male, not because our forfathers may have supressed them hundreds of years ago) Sarcasm, what a killer.

YES, in some states a minority will be called BEFORE YOU even if they scored less. Excuse me for being politically incorrect, anyone who disagrees, please feel free to kiss my ass.

Next, I would find departments (individually) that can answer you directly.

Let me know what state you're in and I can look it up for you.

Why do you want to be a police officer?

It is a profession for someone who is a people person. You will deal with all kinds of people from the best to the worst. A calm temperament and an ability to take a lot of horsepuckey from folks without losing your cool is essential.

I don't mean any disrespect, but if you are into the idea because of the power such a position will bring you, then think twice. Power is easily abused by people who think they know what is best when, in fact, they don't know anything.

If you pursue it as a career, seek out training and education beyond what your department will offer. In this way, you will grow as a human being as well as an asset to the community you serve.

And, finally, that's what it is about: Serving a community without being a macho fool.

Where did you post it?? Are you asking how to know if you want to be a LEO?? If so go to the local police and ask to go on a ride-a-long. Some won't allow it but many will. You will see how boring it is. Paperwork, answering dumb questions, checking false alarms. If you think it is pure adrenalin forget it. "I hope you don't have anything happen for a long time." You must learn if you need high speed pursuits, drug busts,etc or if you can handle driving around a area till you could drive it blindfold.
Talk to local officers ask them.

I was also once bitten by the "LEO Bug." I thought it sounded fun, exciting, no boring office to sit in, lots of challenges, etc. You think I would have known better.

I went on a few ride-alongs with a local county Sherrif's dept. while I was in college and the reality is a lot grittier. You usually deal with the dregs of society when they're at their lowest. Domestic disputes are always ugly and comprise a good deal of the job. I would reccomend at least 20 ride alongs to get a real flavor for the job.

That said, if I were single and unnattached, I might consider the Border Patrol. They have a 5 month training program in Georgia but they actively recruit. I don't have the web address but its something like www.ins.gov

[This message has been edited by Jack 99 (edited December 15, 1999).]

Since I am in the progress of becoming a Police Officer, I will help you out if I can. Right now I am enrolled in a few Administration of Justice classes, and a few general ed classes... by the time I am through with Police Academy (throught the local Junior College) I will have my AA. Now, I COULD have gone through the police department, and had them put me through Academy, but I will have a better chance at getting hired by putting myself through. Also, this way academy will count as credits for my AA. Now my AA will give me a 5% increase in pay, which isn't much, but I get ten if I continue on and get my BA while working. The reason I felt I needed help getting hired, is because I do not have the best work record, or credit history. I do not have anything on my record, except a speeding ticket, though, and that is good... Plus, I just want to be a great cop, not a good one, so schooling should help.. Also, I am white, and the last time I checked we still have quotas around here (Central California)so I need all the help I can get there too... I think that is about it... if you have any questions, or if I can help in anyway, let me know. My e-mail address is in my profile.
P.S. I went on a ride along, and loved it, even the boring part. I was lucky, though.. People who are not in the process of trying to become a cop, (either apllied, or in school) cannot normally go on ride alongs around here. I, at the time, would not have gotten in except that a friend of mine is a police officer. Hope this helps.

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

It has to be for you. There can be a really huge downside to that occupation. Stats say that you will probobly get divorced (there goes half of your meager pay), you could very well become an alcoholic (you become worse than the people you arrest), and then there is always a good chance that you will try and kill yourself. On top of this you know that at some point and time, either while you are on or off duty someone somewhere would like to kill you. You will try not to be distracted by the monotany, lack of sleep (when you work midnites as almost all newbies do everyone wants you awake through the day, trust me on this), horrible diet (you soon discover that your presence near a plate of healthy food makes your radio dispatcher call you), and the way everyone now keeps you at a distance because you weld authority. Oh, and if you think you have power ask your neighborhood cop how many times he/she has heard, "I'll have your badge!" You will be asked to enforce laws that constantly change and know the answer to everything (the public believes you do and if you answer that you dont then you are immediately declared an idiot). You wont always be thinking about catching bad guys. You will catch bats in old ladies houses as they scream, Wade through sewer water, have extremely overweight people relieve themselves on you as you assist ambulance crews, and any and every indignation you can imagine. Your heroics will not be remembered, only your shortcomings. In short you will have to overcome every obsticale to help people who will probobly hate you. But it can also be the most fun you'll ever have. Choose wisely.

FATS,
This is as good as any to post this question...

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. About half my graduating class went directly into Law Enforcement, OR were already in LE. I would support the suggestions mady by others to go on a "ride-a-long" with them. As many as you can to see what it is like. Is there a Citizen Academy for you to goto in your city/county? I had every intention to get into it myself, was seriously gung-ho for it. I went to my classes, and got to know the men/women in LE. I heard all sorts of stories. I went on a ride-a-long with a couple of people, and saw some spooky/off the wall stuff that I probably wouldn't believe if they had told me in class. I decided that i didn't want to do it, as there are peaks and valley's in stress levels for them, and for those who make it a career while not destroying themselves, I admire and truly respect. Be prepared to learn to write technically, and to be buried in paperwork. Be prepared to work on one of the most litigious professions there is. I know several LEO's and there is no such thing as an 8 hour day work day(longer). The stats on divorce and substance abuse that Rob43 stated is pretty accurate to my knowledge. It really is about helping people, and truly an honorable profession. Here in Seattle, we had a march last weekend honoring all the LE agencies involved in the WTO mess that was here a couple of weeks ago. Some officers have stated that they are going to quit, while some say it was their finest moment... I think LEO's are peacemakers, and blessed are the peacemakers!

As for me and my stress level, I now work in a Juvenile Institution, where I pretty much KNOW what my day is going to look like!

Good luck!!! Mike

Trevor makes some OUTSTANDING points, although the "growing as a person" part may be a BS 90's euphamism for "having your s**t together." Anyway, I'll add my 2 cents worth: NEVER let the "authority" a cop has go to your head. Most of the time, it is embarassing (at least to me), but sometimes you have to use it to it's fullest, for your safety and others'.

I always figgered that if you are 90% Andy Griffith and 10% Clint Eastwood, you'd be a pretty good cop.

I will be going LEO within 2 yrs myself. I am currently Air Force (retiring in 2 yr). Although I am not a cop yet I have spent an enormouse amount of time researching this career change. I think you have to evaluate your personality. I don't care what anyone says, you don't learn to be a cop. You either are one or your not. Think about what type work you have gravitated towards in the past. How have you performed under pressure? Do you like hi stress situations? Can you make decisions under stress? Do you get satisfaction knowing you helped someone else, or do you need a pat on the back to feel appreciated.
In my military career I have always gravitated towards the excitement and challenge of a high pressure situation. When Desert Storm was announced on the news I was shopping. I couldn't get to a phone fast enough to tell my boss to put me on the list to go. I mean it's what I trained for. Seeing people I worked with looking for excuses why they shouldn't go really pissed me off. I was married at the time as well.
I wanted to be an LEO a long time ago but the timing wasn't right. I think now my maturity level is at a point that I would be an asset to any department. At 38 yrs old I'm a lot more level headed and posess a good deal of life experience that can't be taught, only acquired over time. Evaluate who your are now. If you see a cop that hasn't got his uniform yet then you will enjoy the work. If you see someone who with training may be a good cop then you might reconsider.

To enjoy being a cop you have to think like one now. Otherwise, you will be just another person complaining about his job.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

I used to tell the criminal justice majors
that if after 4 years of college and you haven't learned to fight well and shoot well
and have developed people skills then your diploma means very little. LE is one vocation
where a really advanced degree will not guarantee that you can do the job. Cops do it
because they want to and sombody has to take the challange to keep the streets safe. One thing after a while as an leo you will get the suspicion that everybody hates you ( the
public, your family ( not really ) don't worry about it...they really do

[This message has been edited by bobo (edited December 15, 1999).]

Continue to develop your skills so you can continue to feed and clothe your family if you decide after 8-10 years you don't want to be a cop anymore. Nothing is sadder than to see someone "trapped" in a career field they have come to loathe. That's when the stress, the alcohol abuse, depression; all family destructors, set in.

I retired after 17.5 years. I was surprised just how much stress I was coping with until I left. My blood pressure dropped. I've lost some weight. I don't wake up with a tight feeling in my chest. I'm not gobbling anti-acid tablets like before. I feel much healthier.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.
Sgt., Kings Co. Sheriff - Ret.

SIG, I don't neccesarily disagree with what you have stated, but until you have been on the receiving end of some REAL racism, feel free to kiss my hairy brown ass.

Phillip,

Don't try to preach to me. You can get any government job you want. I HAVE to hire certain people because of POLITICS. I have been ORDERED to hire certain people for jobs that they did not deserve. Let me tell you something, they were not white males.

Don't sit there and tell me what it is like to be on "the" end of "it". It is totally different. The way I get it is a little worse than yours. How would you like to have incompetant people to work for you who can't even fathom what it is like to actually do something.

So kiss my brown A$$.

By the way Who ever mentioned that I was white

I earned my way up, brother.

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited December 15, 1999).]

I don't mean to sound like a D&%khead even though I do, but you shouldn't presume that I don't get racism on a daily basis.

Why didn't you just ask why I express the political points that I posted. You agreed with me.....

You also have to agree that some people obtain jobs that are way above their heads.

SIG:
You Rock! ...preach on.

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

SIG,
Police officers are supposed to be a reflection of the community. I'm sure in your perfect world whites can go into a hispanic community or blacks can go into an asian community and everyone would understand each other and everything will work out. Sometimes female rape victims only want to speak with a female officer. (the female is also a must hire) Is it wrong? Well last time I checked LEO's were supposed to protect and SERVE the public. Would I be angry if I went into a white neighborhood and the victim only wanted to speak with a white officer? Not at all. As long as we get our job done. BTW, white males make up the majority of LEO's. There are incompetent minority workers as well as incompetent non minority workers. Perhaps you were overlooked, but don't quit after one bad experience. Keep applying...

Back