Latest Acquisition….

Handsome pistol mk70ss, glad you like it. Black with gold barrel is a good scheme.

I admit I have mixed feelings about my MR920, even though it has been 100 percent reliable and can shoot fast.

Like Tunnel Rat, I was disappointed with the trigger. Crunchy and stiff, not better than my stock Gen 4 and actually maybe worse than my Gen 5. Did take it to my gunsmith who improved it with polishing and putting in a Glock factory “minus” connector I got at Glockmeister. Still not as good as several other pistols I could name, including SIG P320, FN509, Masada, and especially Canik Rival. Maybe I should have a Ghost connector put in, friends like that.

But to pay maybe 200 extra bucks and get the trigger I got, disappointing. (Mine was 700 plus tax at Cabela’s, and that was for a “blemished” gun, even if I can’t find the “blemish”.) It could be the Glock design does not easily lend itself to really good trigger pulls.

The optics slide is an interesting, good design, because if you get the right red dot (they list what’s compatible in their manual and on their site) it fits without having to add a mounting plate, and thus the red dot sits lower, so you can cowitness with their supplied sights instead of fitting super tall sights. The Swampfox Liberty works well for this.

I like the grip texture and shape, feel that’s an improvement. I put the “1911” angled grip in. I like the slide’s look and the deep, angled serrations on it. Front night sight standard also. Also comes with a nice carry case and a mag well you can add if you want.

The MR is noticeably lighter than a Glock 19 as well. But again, this is mixed for me since it makes the gun feel less substantial. A matter of taste I guess.

And fundamentally, I shoot my stock Glocks just as well as the fancier Shadow. Don’t expect miracles for your extra $200.

Is the Shadow worth the extra money? Maybe if the optics cut design appeals to you. And I saw a YouTube video where the reviewer said he PREFERRED the MR 920 to the VASTLY more expensive ZEV (TWICE the price of the Shadow!), especially since his sample ZEV apparently had a crappy trigger! So maybe the MR920 is a good deal after all……

Is the Shadow worth the extra money? Maybe if the optics cut design appeals to you. And I saw a YouTube video where the reviewer said he PREFERRED the MR 920 to the VASTLY more expensive ZEV (TWICE the price of the Shadow!), especially since his sample ZEV apparently had a crappy trigger! So maybe the MR920 is a good deal after all……

I think for a semi custom pistol it’s a fair price, assuming you shop around. I took my MR920 through a 2 day vehicle course with Kyle Lamb and we were shooting under cars on a dirt based range. The pistol was filthy but still functioned. Lamb mentioned he had seen a number of Zev pistols have functional issues in his courses.

My one issue with the optics cut they use is that you have to pull the optic to clean the extractor. Not a huge issue since for me that is a job at 3k-5k rounds so I just use that as an opportunity to swap the battery too, but it's one of those minor things that wouldn't sway me either way. I'm likely picking up a SIG 365 compact in the next couple of months, but my MR920 is my primary carry gun at the moment.

With all the "Glockish" pistols on the market now (I counted 14 at last survey) there is something for everyone. From $250 to $1000, with all kinds of feature sets to try and separate from the pack, and Glock.

I've been happy with the time I have on a SS pistol, as well as a Stoeger STR-9. I really want to try a Bul at some point. My biggest complaint is 9mm only with them. I hope people keep buying them and they eventually offer them in a Large frame for the 10mm/45.

Shadow Systems makes these a half mile from my office.
As much as I would like to support a "Made in Plano, Texas" company, paying $1000 for a Guccied up Glock ain't gonna happen.

I have shot the MR920 and it does absolutely nothing my factory Glocks can do at half the price. It's not a knock on Shadow Systems, because I have similar thoughts on boutique 1911's.

But they are very nice looking guns.

My one issue with the optics cut they use is that you have to pull the optic to clean the extractor. Not a huge issue since for me that is a job at 3k-5k rounds so I just use that as an opportunity to swap the battery too, but it's one of those minor things that wouldn't sway me either way. I'm likely picking up a SIG 365 compact in the next couple of months, but my MR920 is my primary carry gun at the moment.

I’m with you on this. The Glock MOS allows you to remove the extractor even with an optic installed. I like this. I like to pull the extractor around every 1k rounds and clean in its channel. I think the maintenance schedule you quoted is more reasonable, in which case it’s less of an issue, but still. In defense of Shadow Systems I own optics capable pistols from other manufacturers, such as Walther, that are in the same boat. In those cases I end up going longer round counts like you mentioned.

Do these Shadow Systems pistols use Glock mags? or are they something special?

Joe

They use Glock magazines, though they come with Magpul Glock magazines rather than OEM Glock magazines. In some marketing Shadow Systems says they prefer the Magpul magazines, but in owning both makers of magazines I think Glock OEM is better and that Shadow Systems’ decision is mainly a cost savings measure. On a pistol with a higher price tag than Glock (I also only received two magazines with Shadow Systems as opposed to 3 with a MOS Glock) that decision seems a bit cheap.

Shadow Systems makes these a half mile from my office.
As much as I would like to support a "Made in Plano, Texas" company, paying $1000 for a Guccied up Glock ain't gonna happen.

I have shot the MR920 and it does absolutely nothing my factory Glocks can do at half the price. It's not a knock on Shadow Systems, because I have similar thoughts on boutique 1911's.

But they are very nice looking guns.

https://gun.deals/node/1137921 Shadow Systems MR920 Combat 9mm 15rd Optic Ready Threaded Barrel - $649.99 (use the Email For Price button to get this price)

So that’s $650 for a MR920 that is optics capable and with a threaded barrel. A MOS Glock is generally $620 and isn’t threaded. If you look around online it’s not too hard to find deals that put the MR920 within reach of OEM Glock prices. For what some people will perceive as additional features, I think the pricing isn’t unreasonable (and certainly there are much more expensive Gucci Glocks, and cheaper clones as MarkCO pointed out).

Now as I mentioned above, after owning one I went back to my stock Glocks, so I’m not saying that just because of that pricing a person should buy one. I’m trying to be fair in how I summarize the pistol. It would also be fair to point out that MSRP shows this pistol as much more expensive than what I posted. My point is if a person wanted to try one, but the price difference was too much then shopping around might make it more reasonable.

As TunnelRat previously stated, this pistol was nowhere near $1000. Mine was $710 out the door, taxes and all.

Back