Latest Acquisition….

mk70ss

Bought this yesterday. Shadow Systems MR920 9mm. Like a Glock, but they ditched the stuff I didn’t like in a Glock and added what it should have had in the first place.

I would think that if they were ditching Glock bits that are annoying, trigger dingus would be on that list.

I've got the MR920L, put a little over 6k rounds through it so far.

It says it right in the instruction manual but the tolerances are fairly tight, I think I had one or two failures to feed in the first 100 rounds but nothing after that (I'm okay with a break-in period).

Big fan of it.

I would think that if they were ditching Glock bits that are annoying, trigger dingus would be on that list.
And the take-down system. That was novel in the 80's. Can we have a modern take-down like everyone else? Glock patent #51 or whatever please.

I had one for a time. I eventually sold it and went back to my Gen 5 Glocks. The new Shadow Systems Foundation series seems like a good value.

It's not that difficult to run the numbers and prove that without the trigger safety, the Glock design is not drop safe.

That's not the only way to make that general mechanism drop safe, but it is a pretty good way--as is demonstrated by other companies who have followed Glock's lead. Sometimes after trying and failing with their own designs first.

Cold you elaborate?

I had same thought.

I spent a few minutes looking online and people mention they have a different grip angle for "flatter shooting" and they cost twice as much. It looks like taller sights than a normal Glock, a beaver tail pulled out of the wrong parts bin, and aerodynamic slide serrations.

While they are more expensive, you can find them for less than twice as much. Mine wasn't close to twice as much (especially the newer Foundation models).

I think the optic mounting solution Shadow Systems uses is fairly clever, assuming you have one with that optics system. There are three backstraps, each of which somewhat changes the "point" of the pistol. The grip texture is nice, I like the relief for the support hand thumb, etc. There are things about them I like. But in owning one and in being a person that had owned Glocks for multiple years at that point and shot them fairly extensively both at ranges and in courses, I can't say I think they radically changed the base Glock. There is pretty much no hump and the angle of the grip ends of differently as a result, so I could see someone liking that. I'm honestly curious what specifically about it might be seen to change things of Glocks from someone else's perspective, especially as the OP has mentioned that twice now.

Is it’s trigger lighter and crisper than a Glock? If so, isn’t it more dangerous to holster?

Those light trigger Glocks always made me uncomfortable. I’m glad you are enjoying!

The Shadow Systems pistol has: a better grip angle than the Glock, a far better trigger, A beaver tail to eliminate “Glock bite”, a much more streamlined trigger guard, all steel night sights, better grip texture, and eliminated the hollow in the back strap of the grip.

Thank you for clarifying.

I do think for many the grip angle of the Shadow Systems may be more "normal", and at first I thought that too. What was interesting was over time I found I tended to end up with the pistol pointed high when drawing from concealment, whereas I didn't as much with my standard Glocks. I tried the backstrap that was supposed to more mimic a regular Glock, and that helped somewhat. I like the Nomad style of aftermarket frames a bit better. It has basically no hump, but the back of the angle is more vertical than the Shadow Systems. I find with the angle of the Glock the hump actually helps me.

The trigger on mine was never very good. Mine was actually notably heavier in pull weight than the stock Glocks I have had. When I had to send my MR920 back to the factory to have some issues resolved they replaced the connector and that made it better. The reset on the pistol did "feel" shorter than a stock Glock and I seemed to shoot it very well at speed, that I miss.

My hands have never been big enough to get bit by the slide on a Glock, though the Gen 4 and Gen 5 models do come with backstraps with and without beavertails from the factory. The trigger guard has more room, which is nice, as are the sights (though you can get Glocks from the factory with night sights). I did like the grip texture, though I found with time that the texture would collect dead skin (if that happens use a nylon brush and give the grip a once over). I know some people are bothered by the hollow at the back of the grip, it just never bothered me personally.

Enjoy your pistol!

The trigger on mine was never very good. Mine was actually notably heavier in pull weight than the stock Glocks I have had. When I had to send my MR920 back to the factory to have some issues resolved they replaced the connector and that made it better. The reset on the pistol did "feel" shorter than a stock Glock and I seemed to shoot it very well at speed, that I miss.

I had the same issue, I put in a ghost 3.5 disconnector and its a much better trigger now. Not something I would have expected to have to do for the price, but that's really my only complain.

Is it’s trigger lighter and crisper than a Glock? If so, isn’t it more dangerous to holster?

Only if your finger is on the trigger when you holster.

Back