Last man on earth to buy a 10/22

The 'Sporter' came in to my FFL, and I picked it up yesterday. Very plain walnut, but it is walnut with a nice satin finish. I like that they dropped the barrel band. Mounted the Skinner aperture, and according to my laser, the front sight is tall enough. Need to get to the range to verify. The standard 0.096 aperture looks good for field work, but I think I will add a 0.040. Skinner offers a range of front sights if this one shoots too high, so I'll wait till I get some range time to order the aperture and, if needed, a taller front sight. The fun continues.

10/22

After a Remington 572 gave me fits with splitting forearms, I bought a used 10/22, an older one with no "warning" and a walnut stock. Despite it's age, it was not heavily used or abused. A pal who sort of specialized in tweaking 10/22 triggers redid the bang switch and it is quite nice. I screwed a Leupold 4x rimfire onto the little rifle and for a while, shot it quite a bit. Reliable as a brick, but ya know, I don't think I ever shot it for group off the bench?

Well, my walnut rifle ran 5" high at 25. So I ordered a taller one from Skinner. Like Pumpkin, I found the factory sight awfully tight, but I did punch it out and installed the "partridge" front sight. Laser sits right on top of it, so I'm hopeful.

sights

Don't think I ever shot my 10/22 with the factory irons either. What I did do with it was shoot quite a bit at a 6" steel disk here at the house, at roughly 100 yds. If I used the top of the post of the duplex 4x as an aiming point and held center (rather than holding over with the crosshairs) when zeroed at 50 yds, the shots would drop right in.........if I ran the trigger correctly.

I stopped shooting the 10/22 at the disk when I bought it's cousin, a 77/22. By running the bolt softly, I could eject spent cases right onto my shooting bench and police up more easily later. The 10/22 spit them all over. Interestingly, by dialing the 2-7x Leupold rimfire on the bolt rifle to 4x as well, I got the same aiming points and trajectory for 100 yds.

The 77/22 trigger was a disappointment and a Volquartzen trigger kit helped a bit. But the early 10/22 metal trigger assembly my buddy worked over is a gem.

The looks have always been very appealing but I've never owned one.

Right now I plow all gun cash into buying .308 ammo, to feed my .308 Battle Rifles, and also have enough to weather the Next Ammo Panic.

How would you folks describe the trigger of a fairly new, generic, stock 10-22?

Back