laser sight on your carry gun

If they fail to work, or aren't needed, then simply don't use them
Sites will always be there just in case the laser dont work.
Except you get into my other point, human nature, and adrenalin rush.
When the laser fails, you are very well likely to be wasting precious time looking for the little dot you have trained yourself to rely on.

I am not against lasers, but I don't feel the need for them, either. I do just fine with regular sights. On the couple of occasions that I have used them (on someone else's gun), I have found that it takes me longer to line up the laser than the traditional sights. I know that practice is the key for getting faster, but I just don't see the point in practicing with a new method when my current one works fine. If it ain't broke...

If you like them, get them. I really don't see any downside, as long as you practice both with and without them, just in case.

Except you get into my other point, human nature, and adrenalin rush.
When the laser fails, you are very well likely to be wasting precious time looking for the little dot you have trained yourself to rely on.
What are you guys doing, point firing from the waist?

It's a training problem, not a technology problem. The same thing comes up with carbines and red dots.

Do 90% of your training with your iron sights and that's a non-issue. I disable my laser during the majority of my range practice and dry firing.

When I draw and present my gun with my eyes closed, the sights are pretty much lined up when I open my eyes (this is where daily dry firing helps). My laser is also there right where my front sight is. There is no need to search for anything. Practice, practice, practice. Proper stance, proper form, proper sight picture. Additional tech doesn't change that.

If you are in point blank contact and need to point shoot, you don't need sights or laser, just index and shoot.

Last edited:
At some point, the laser is going to fail. At no point will iron sights ever fail...

I get where Cheapshooter is coming from...

Not following you... I never said anyone was removing their irons.

Were just expressing opinions here about lasers, no big deal. If you want to train with both thats fine, your probably a better shot than myself.

Just my opinion to not use lasers for reasons...

And nobodys answered my eariler question yet, which one will you use in a gunfight?

(The question is open to everyone)

Fair enough Koda94. I do agree with you about the white light though. The new Crimson Trace for my Shield has both and I'd take the light over the laser if I had to choose.

I also agree that most people that buy these things aren't training properly, and maybe I'm not either, I'm always trying to learn and improve.

As long as your training with it your fine. The problem many people have is they buy the laser because they dont train with the gun, it seems so much easier right? I think if your going to have one the best idea is to train with both...

But in the heat of a stressful moment your going to instinctly pick one, my main reason I dont want a laser is because Id rather that be the one that I know will never fail to turn on.

What are you guys doing, point firing from the waist?
No, not from the hip.
Probably some official mall ninja training name for a modified whatever stance, or something. I just have learned to instinctively point at what I want to hit and shoot. With shoulder, and elbow injuries, and damage my "stance" is probably some modified, modified something or other. Works for me, fast, sure and accurate. That's all I am concerned with.

I have lasers on three of my handguns; an LCP, S&W M69, and one of my 1911s. The one on my LCP is probably the one I feel is the most useful to me, simply because the iron sights on that gun are so small that in anything less than good light I have to 'hunt' for them after the first shot. Now, I did learn to index the back of my hand with my LCP, and I can get off all six rounds in less than two seconds from low-ready into a pie plate area at 7 yards, but I don't have a feeling of high confidence using those tiny sights. And at least half the time I'll have a flier well outside that 8-inch circle.

With the laser I just press the trigger every time the red dot enters the area around whatever aiming point I'm using, and don't even have to bother looking for the sights. My actual time for six shots is just a few tenths quicker than without the laser, but my accuracy is much better; typically about the size of a baseball, and almost never a flier.

Practicing this way has improved my point shooting skills with all three laser-fitted guns. It also makes longer shots beyond 20 yards much easier and faster. For example, a couple years ago I took a rabbit in the head at 40 paces in that low flat light right before true sundown with my 1911; a shot I know I couldn't have pulled off with the irons alone. Tasty sucker too.

However, I did have to train myself not to chase the dot. So for slow, aimed shooting I turn the lasers off. The exception to this is dry-fire practice; I love using lasers for dry fire practice, for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Otherwise, I only practice reaction or from the draw shooting with the lasers.

The caveats to all of this are simple: you have to understand the limitations of the device, you have to do your due diligence (changing batteries and so forth), you still have to use good trigger mechanics, and you can't allow yourself to rely absolutely on the gadget.

Overall, I firmly believe laser sights can be very useful tools, as long as you keep the above constraints in mind.

Oh, and my answer to Koda's question is I would use the laser in a gunfight. Now, inside ten yards I'm not sure I'd spend much brain activity looking for the dot, but if I saw the dot rising up into my sight line I'd be very confident in my bullet placement, especially at longer distances.

Last edited:
I have Crimson Trace laser grips on my Sig 1911 for home defense and sometimes winter carry. In addition to being an aid in low light situations, I believe the intimidation factor for your intended target would be quite formidable. :D

It's the only laser equipped gun I have, and I don't feel a pressing need for more, but it's nice to have. The very first time I went to the range with it, I was more than a little rusty and thinking that the laser would make up for that and help me get small groups. NOT SO FAST!! It can be a distraction, actually. At least it helps you realize how unsteady your hands are at any moment, which encourages you to concentrate! So I stopped using it until I got used to the behavior of the Sig and recalibrated my hands and eyes to pistol shooting again.

I installed the LaserMax Guide Rod Replacement on my Glock 26 and hated it. The laser is activated by pushing the take down latch to the left or right. While it is easy enough to activate, it is too easy to accidentally activate and kill the battery. The wider take down bar also interfered with the holster. The laser was set for flashing only which was pretty annoying. Since the laser replaced the guide rod, I was pretty much spot on. The problem with being so close to the barrel is that the burnt gasses also covers the laser pretty quickly. Overall, Lsermax Guiderod laser was a big Thumbs down.

When I switched to the Kahr PM9, i added a Crimson Trace Laserguard to it. For those who don't know about it, it mounts to the trigger guard and is activated by a button that is just under the trigger guard. The laser turns on if you grip the pistol and it is simple to use. The sight can be adjusted for wind age and elevation. I give this laser a thumbs up!

When I switched to the Glock 43, I bought a Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro who has a light and a laser. It can be set for light and laser, light only, laser only, and strobe with laser. I would never use it on strobe since that has just as much of an effect messing with my eyes. This sight also mounts to the trigger guard and is activated by a pressure switch right under the trigger guard. This sight is adjustable for windage and elevation as well. I give this sight a big thumbs up. Holsters can be hard to Coke by, but Crimson Trace makes holsters for the guns they make lasers for.

As many have already said, lasers are just additional tools. For me, it may be the difference between a bad guy giving up without firing a shot. I won't count on it, but having a laser dot would also give me visual confirmation of my aim. The other thing lasers may be good for is firing from cover or awkward positions. Don't depend on it for your life, but it can be a great tool.

Last edited:
Having a firearm pointed at you is very intimidating. Having one with a bright light just makes the picture more noticeable, a real attention getter, perhaps more, but at least as intimidating. At least that's my experience and learned opinion.

I keep a laser on my carry, but installed TruGlo sights for night capture of my sights. Still think a laser can be a deterrent to would-be criminals at a distance.

Koda94 said:
I think the intimidation factor is a myth....

I disagree. I know I would be QUITE concerned if I suddenly saw a red laser on my chest in the darkness, and thugs aren't supermen either. It could potentially instantly defuse a hostile situation.

For the thugs who are hellbent on destruction and don't care that a gun is aimed at them, I would back up the threat of the laser with lead. So it doesn't matter if they are intimidated or not.

I prefer to see what I'm shooting, before I pull the trigger. So I dropped the laser and replaced it with a nice, bright light. As I understand it, most self-defense shootings take place after dark.

What are the odds a bad guy is going to be staring down at his chest when attacking you? What are the legalities of pointing a gun at someone to scare them off?

Back