laser sight on your carry gun

iceman320

I was just curious about how many of you here have a laser sight on your carry gun or if you prefer night sights over the laser sight.

I have CT grips on two handguns, a S&W m60 snub and a Colt Officer, which is being sold next week (not sure if that buyer is interested in the laser grips or not). Nonetheless, my reasoning is that I am nearsighted and if I should lose my specs, I can still hit what I'm pointed at.

When dialed in correctly, laser grips can hit the 10-zone between 5-15 yards and still be very functional to 25 yards with practice.

I probably need to shoot one more, but I can't see relying on something electric and I can't see it being an improvement in a fast draw and shoot over sights.

I don't trust my life on something with circuits and batteries. Especially considering the realistic distance for self defence negates any need for one.
Then there is the human factor. Wasting time searching for a little dot that will be dancing all around while you would otherwise be shooting with instinct point and shoot.

I don't trust my life on something with circuits and batteries. Especially considering the realistic distance for self defence negates any need for one.
Then there is the human factor. Wasting time searching for a little dot that will be dancing all around while you would otherwise be shooting with instinct point and shoot.

I used to think along the same lines. But have concluded that they are simply another tool in the toolbox. At times they can be a huge advantage. If they fail to work, or aren't needed, then simply don't use them. Other than added costs there are no disadvantages.

I have them on 1 gun that I carry occasionally and would seriously consider them on othes. Given the option I'd rather have a weapons mounted light, but those aren't always practical either.

seems like one more thing to go wrong, one more thing to turn on, one more thing to sight in, one more thing to maintain. What happens if you push the button and the laser is not there... how did you spend your time training?

I do like night sights though.

Sites will always be there just in case the laser dont work. I just put a viridian laser with the ECR technology. I had Foxx holsters make one the way I like it IWB and I love it. (laser and holster) On my HD glock I put a spring guide laser on it but that one has to be turned on as isnt a solid laser (it blinks which I dont like) and I put a CT grip laser which I also like. If I dont need it I dont squeeze the grip so hard and it wont turn on. Sites will always be there and you should train with the sites and the laser. But I dont see any harm in having a laser on you concealed carry pistol.

tynman said:
Sites will always be there just in case the laser dont work. I just put a viridian laser with the ECR technology. I had Foxx holsters make one the way I like it IWB and I love it. (laser and holster) On my HD glock I put a spring guide laser on it but that one has to be turned on as isnt a solid laser (it blinks which I dont like) and I put a CT grip laser which I also like. If I dont need it I dont squeeze the grip so hard and it wont turn on. Sites will always be there and you should train with the sites and the laser. But I dont see any harm in having a laser on you concealed carry pistol.

which one do you use in a self defense situation the laser or the irons?

I have trained with the iron sites right now since the pistol is new to my collection and once I feel good with that then I will start to train with the laser for self defense. And the new holster just came in too. So I have to break that in too.

I have a Crimson Trace on my Ruger LCP, I would not do it again. I find the laser distracting at times. That being said I have no plans to take it off my gun.

More important than either, is a light, either handheld or weapon mounted. No point in painting a target with a laser or lining up tritium if you can't identify what you're shooting at.

Another negative with lasers is that without practice, more often than not people waste time hunting for the laser dot when it would have been faster to line up traditional sights.

I have CT lasers on some of my carry guns and I like them a lot. Lasers are not a substitute or a shortcut for training with iron sights. They are for low light situations. The ones I have provide enough light to identify a target at close range.
In an actual self defense situation I would certainly rather have a laser than not. Shooting someone in self defense is something I hope to avoid and I believe that putting a red dot on someones chest would help convince them to back down.
I can't imagine any scenario where a laser would be a detriment.
After I sight in a laser I really don't train with it other than to verify zero once a month or so. If you shoot well with open sights you can shoot with a laser, place dot on target pull trigger.

I have a number of guns in my CC rotation. Every one of them has a laser from CT, LaserLyte, or ArmaLaser. The CT's and Armalasers come on automatically. Odds are that I'm not going to be in a modified Weaver using my iron sights when protecting myself from the BG.

These are also the same guns I always take with me to the range along with other range toys.

For those hating on the Lasers...I used to think they were a gimmick, crutch, but then I tried them, in a lot of different applications and methods. Most of it was shooting night matches, then in some drills. In many night drills, especially with long guns, I can go faster, have better peripheral vision, better target ID with a laser over traditional sight methods.

There are some times, yes a Laser is highly beneficial. I have them and use them on some guns now. But, in any defensive situation, positive target ID is still a primary consideration.

I used to think along the same lines. But have concluded that they are simply another tool in the toolbox. At times they can be a huge advantage. If they fail to work, or aren't needed, then simply don't use them. Other than added costs there are no disadvantages.
Yep, I put CT grips on my wife's Smith 637...great feeling grips, maybe the best of the rubber ones out there in my hand, and the laser add's a dimension to night encounters at home. Just another tool in the box. BTW, a laser like the CT one is very useful in teaching trigger control and the necessary uniformity of grip. Rod

I have a Crimson Trace laser on my S&W 642 revolver and a Crimson Trace laser/white light on my S&W Shield along with Truglo Night Sights. I have it configured to activate the laser and white light at the same time.

I train to use my iron sight as primary. With my focus on the top edge of the front sight, I ignore the laser. If I can't obtain a good sight picture with the iron sights, then I can fall back on the laser which is co-witnessed with my sights anyway.

I get the distrust of anything electronic, but it's not like adding a laser to your gun made your iron sights go away.

Last edited:
I have a CT on my 642 carry revolver.

I keep hearing people talking about the light can fail, maybe, but mine hasn't in over 10 years I've used it.

BUT, I didn't take the sights off when I added the CT. They are still there and I still use them.

The laser on my revolver doesn't have a switch, its activated by a button on the grip. It is a great tool for precision shooting with a <2 inch barrel w/such a short sight radius.

Since a huge majority of SD shooting are at less then 6 feet, most of my practice is point shooting anyway and I don't use either sight or laser.

Where I have used it, and found the laser invaluable is snakes. Tons of rattlers in NE Wyoming. The laser is perfect. Put the dot on the head and dead snake every time. I've heard it said that rattler are mesmerized by the red dot, I don't know if its true, but it sure seems that way.

Its handier then heck when your crawling through the sage and cactus on the prairie while sneaking up on antelope. The little revolver with the laser works much better at 2 feet the a rifle with a scope setting 2.5 inches above the bore. The laser dot behind the ear is effective for dispatching wounded critters also.

But like I said, the laser does not mean you don't have your conventional sights, my 642 still does and I use both, however, at distance laser shooting is more accurate.

But the best use of the laser, in my opinion, is in dry firing. You can snap away all day and not really know where the bullet will go when the hammer falls, where the bullet would hit if you were actually shooting. You do with the laser. Where the dot is when the hammer falls is where the bullet would be if you were actually shooting.

Hours every week of dry firing with the laser helps my shooting when I'm using the sights.

When I first started using the laser, I was told, to change the batteries when you change the batteries in your home smoke detector, (like when you change your clocks twice a year). I started out like that and since have went to changing the battery once a year. I've never had a battery (or any other failure) on my laser. Never heard of anyone doing it.

I like flashlights, but a flashlight on a small revolver that I pocket carry is not an option.

Its a tool like the conventional sights, but like any other tool, just because you have one, doesn't mean you throw your other tools away.

Back