Laser Rangefinder thread -best value that actually WORKS out to 400 yards

Sorry, forgot!

The alignment of the lazing beam & the dot in the reticule was precise. If I aimed off to test for errors the range increased above & decreased below the "dead on" aim. The only down side I discovered is a very slight focus shift between the target image & the RF data overlay. I had to pick which one was "tack sharp" & which was "pretty sharp", irritating but not a real problem I'm just a perfectionist.

I've got a Nikon 800 that I've used for years...... I've ranged and verified the range to many points from my usual stand location ..... it's been acurate within 2 yards year in/year out. The longest live animal I've ranged was 460yards.

I do have on important tip on using these things: if the batteries are cold (left in truck overnight or some such ), your effective range will suffer severely. Keep a spare set of new batteries in an inner pocket, under your coat/bibs ..... cold batteries don't deliver the juice needed to run the thing....... as with nearly all electronics, running on insufficient power makes for poor performance....

If I can find the right place I'll try some longer ranges on furry things. I wasn't expecting the rolling terrain to be such a problem when I started this off.

At your price range I would spend a little more and get the leupold rx 1000 or 1200. They are both fantastic range finders. I got to play with the vortex ranger 1000 and the leupold rx 1000 tbi and I ended up with the leupold. The leupold seem to have better glass and ranged alot faster than the vortex. The furthest I have ranged deer was 563 yards without any inconsistency.

Back