Laser and/or light and/or night sights?

Not being able to shine a lite without pointing your gun around, for one.

And yet: Below is from my own post earlier in the thread.

Whilst not as bright, by pointing the muzzle at the ground 6ft or so ahead of me, I am still able to illuminate what is down the end of the hall well enough to see who or what it is. For me that means adequate illumination for identification without the risk of sweeping.

With the light I have bought, I can keep the muzzle at the ground at an angle not dissimilar from Low Ready and still see what is directly ahead of me. I won't be sweeping any body.

As we know it's all about compromises and for me the above, whilst still have both hands fully on the gun is a good one.

If illumination during the night is a big worry, why not keep a couple of led night lights around the home? I have a few always on, they spend next to no power, and are handy anyways.

They give off enough light to see who's who and orient yourself at night. Handy when the kids have to go to the toilet at night, or whatever.

You said this was for the bedroom gun: I chose motion activated lights in approach rooms (livingroom, 2nd bedroom, hall). This keeps light behind approaching individual. Also a portable sound unit with remote motion detection alerts me to movements in the house. Then night lights on my bed side gun is all that I need. Keeps it simple to my thinking.

what peril?

well for starters, those situations where you simply must take your eyes off of a problem for a second but don't want to take the gun off. like when you survey the area for other threats or a suspected second or third foe. Having only one light which happens to be mounted to your gun is very limiting. Running around with a light pointed 6 feet in front of you is all well and good until something happens or until 2 or 3 things happen. Once you get past the tacticool aspect of a weapon mounted light, you see it for what it is. A good option for a very specific circumstance.

well for starters, those situations where you simply must take your eyes off of a problem for a second but don't want to take the gun off. like when you survey the area for other threats or a suspected second or third foe.

The way I see it, if you're in total darkness, and you take your light source off your target (assuming it's hand-held) well you still can't see them, nor what they're doing so what good is having your gun trained on them?
Are you going to shoot them in the dark without knowing what they're doing? What if they were turning and running? Wouldn't look good in court.

Furthermore, if indeed you suspect a second or third foe, you really shouldn't be out alone trying to clear the house: that is serious "hunker down and call in support" time with 911 on a keypad.

As I explained earlier, my beam is pretty wide. At a distance of 10-12ft it goes wall to wall in any part of my house and I don't live in a goods-wagon, so my "low-ready" angle still let's me see left, right and up ahead.

For me, that and being able to keep a good double handed grip on the gun trumps the rest.

If you disagree, so be it, but what I've seen so far aren't perils. Definitely things to factor in and consider, but not perils.

Last edited:
if you don't get it.. that's ok. As they say.. you may understand the concept but you don't get the math. If the suggestion is that a weapon mounted like is not in and of itself - much more limiting than a handheld light, I will continue to politely disagree.

Last edited:
I think a light and or a laser add immense value to a firearm.

For a bedside pistol, a light accompaniment would be a huge value to light up the darkness in a home defense scenario. Lasers are pretty self explanatory for their advantage; quick target acquisition from firing positions and situations that do not allow for a proper presentation and sight picture.

They can be expensive. I suggest checking out the TLR3 and TLR4 from stream light. Lots of reviews and info out there on them. Bright enough to light up a room, light enough to not add discomfort that negates the advantage, popular enough for holster availability.

I like having the lights or lasers grip activated. Its a lot easier under stress for me to turn them on that way than trying to memorize which side the power button is on or having to break your grip to activate them.

As with any thing, training with it helps.

Lasers&Lights

I' ve used CT lasers since the Company was formed,with zero issues!However,this fine post polnts out just how popular these gun mounted lasers have become.I practice non-traditional firing positions A Lot,and accuracy remains very good plus I stilll can use available cover.

Back