Largest Game Taken With a .22 LR !?

FWIW, many meat packing plants use an old single shot .22LR to kill the cows coming in to be butchered, one shot to the head and they're down.

The former world record Brown Bear was taken by an Indian woman with a single shot 22. She and a male companion were hunting grouse when the bear approached. The bear would have soon crossed their scent trail when she wacked him with a head shot and then shot it in the head several times for insurance.

Above from an old Russell Annabel article...

An old girlfriends father owned a nursery located in an old orange grove. A 9 foot alligator took up residence in an irrigation pond. He dispatched it with a single shot through the left eye socket.

On a personal note, glad I never tried anything cooky with girlfriend
wink.gif

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

I personally killed 8 1,000 lb steers with .22 LR in preparation for slaughter. They all fell to the shot (brain of course) but lived long enough for the throat to be cut and thus all the blood pumped out before actually expiring. I realize the blood loss was probably the actual cause of death but I was amazed at how effective that little 22 rimfire was in incapacitating those large cattle.

Stubby, once when I was about 15 I went to the local slaughter house with my dad to arrange for having a calf butchered. As luck would have it a steer weighing about 1000 lbs. had gotten loose. The guy who worked there was chasing it on a tractor try ing to kill it with a .22 which had no sights (only used to slaughter up close). I happened to have my Nylon 66 so I proceeded to intercept the steer. One .22 long rifle between the eyes and he went down like the Titantic. regards, birdman

"One .22 long rifle between the eyes and he went down like the Titantic."

You mean it took 3 hours?

Well, folks, record has it that two mature bull elephant have been taken by the same person with a .22LR rifle.

The noted late Bwana Peter Hathaway Capstick recounts this tale in one of his well-written Africana tomes, "Death in the long grass", I believe. I also read it in one of the previous editions of Charles Barnes' "Cartridges of the world". Here's how it happened.

One day, a white farmer living in a southeastern African country woke up to see a large bull elephant gingerly devouring his precious crop. After trying to shoo off the beast in vain, he decided to resort to his .22LR rifle. By giving the pachiderm a good sting in the backside - he thought - the animal would move off and leave the crop alone.

After firing the shot, he saw instead - with dismay - the beast instead piling up, quite dead. Upon examination of the carcass, he found that he had struck the elephant in the back of the knee, hitting an artery and subsequently killing the animal from blood-loss.

This became quite a story in the farmer's town, until it reached the ears of a white hunter. He could not believe the story, and challenged the farmer to repeat the feat for a wager - which he actually did several days later.

I personally believe the story. Hey, if anything can be killed with a needle, the same applies for a good .22LR!!!

In Delaware it is legal to hunt upland game in OCT, Nov, Dec with a .22Lr below the C&D canal on state parkland with a permit.

Squirrel and rabbit may be hunted with .22LR

------------------
Master Blaster

Into the Wild by Jon Krakuer, tells the true story of a "...young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone in the wilderness north of Mt McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless..."
Again, this was a true story, (documented) and he had a .22 rifle. He shot, and killed the moose with said rifle.
It should be noted however, that Young Mr. McCandless later died of starvation.
On a personal note, it'd not a bad book, but I think this kid was in need of serious mental help.

Back