Large Rifle Primers

denvernoob

New to reloading. I was forced into reloading because I have a .257 Roberts and the ammo has gone extinct. I have enjoyed the journey so far. Honestly, I wish I got into it earlier.

Are large rifle primers also extinct? I bought (300) off of gunbroker at an embarrassing price, but it got me started.

Where do you guys look for primers?

New to reloading. I was forced into reloading because I have a .257 Roberts and the ammo has gone extinct. I have enjoyed the journey so far. Honestly, I wish I got into it earlier.

Are large rifle primers also extinct? I bought (300) off of gunbroker at an embarrassing price, but it got me started.

Where do you guys look for primers?
welcome to family, you were born into the “Great Primer Shortage.” With that being said you will have to diligently seek primers they are out there. I usually create a notification at Midway and other sites to notify me when they have them. Midway has cut there hazmat charge in half so thats a plus.

When primers were easy to buy that's when I bought my share. When primers are near extinct on shelves I make mine last. "I.E. no fun & giggle times."

Same places I look for Unicorn's and Leprecauns ... with about the same results !

I've been getting a few E-mails from Powder Valley Inc. , I believe they have some in stock . I scored 200 38 Special Starline cases from them , price was right and shipping fast .
Get on their E-mail list and they let you know what's in stock and on sale .

www.powdervalleyinc.com

Gary

Well as mentioned we are experiencing another reloading component shortage. Not the first and likely won't be the last. How to find primers? My advice is to frequently check major distributors. Distributors like as mentioned Powder Valley and other well known distributors. Reply to non well known distributors especially those offering low prices. When shortages begin new names turn up like weeds in the spring. Many are just a rip off here today and gone tomorrow with your money.

No clue as to your location but if near Cleveland, Ohio let me know. I will be happy to sell you a thousand or so large rifle (Sellier & Bellot) for a fair price of $30.00.

Ron

When I was on the hunt for primers I would check several reputable online shops several times a day-
https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/index.htm
https://www.midwayusa.com/primers/br?cid=17587
https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product-type/large-rifle-primers/
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/primers.html
Places like these & sometimes I'd get lucky. Occasionally I'd find some local at Scheels or Sportsmans Warehose but not very often. I finally found some that I could buy 5 & ten thousand at a time with a single hazmat fee & free shipping so I'm stocked up now but always have my eyes open for a deal.

I appreciate the replies. Some of these places are new to me, and I figured I was missing some sources.

Tangolima- I did find these on ammoseek:
https://globalordnance.com/unis-ginex-primer-5-5-3-n-for-large-rifle-brass-cup-100-per-box/?afmc=53&variant=1000701 Decent primers?

Ron- That's a very generous offer! Unfortunately I live in Colorado, but that is very kind of you.

Thoughts on these primers?
https://www.natchezss.com/cci-standard-primers-34-large-7-62mm-military-nato-sensitivity-1000-ct.html The next set of dies I purchase will be .308. Would these work for hunting loads? Would they work for .257 Roberts? Both rifles are bolt actions.

Amazingly,shortages tend to run in 4 year cycles.

It comes and goes. Learn to recognize "The Good Old Days"

They are never quite as good as "Used to be"

Buy what you can when you can. You might get some dry beans,pasta,and Spam,too.

Last edited:
Buy what you can when you can. You might get some dry beans,pasta,and Spam,too.

Thanks HiBC. I can assure you that the next "Good Old Days" I will buy a pallet of primers!

I have also stashed away ample provisions including ammo, except for .257 Roberts. I seriously never thought it would run out. I thought I was onto something having an esoteric caliber. It stayed in stock a long time, but it has now gone the way of the dodo bird.

But hey, it got me into reloading so there's that!

I appreciate the replies. Some of these places are new to me, and I figured I was missing some sources.

Tangolima- I did find these on ammoseek:

https://globalordnance.com/unis-gin...rass-cup-100-per-box/?afmc=53&variant=1000701 Decent primers?

Ron- That's a very generous offer! Unfortunately I live in Colorado, but that is very kind of you.

Thoughts on these primers?

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-stand...7-62mm-military-nato-sensitivity-1000-ct.html The next set of dies I purchase will be .308. Would these work for hunting loads? Would they work for .257 Roberts? Both rifles are bolt actions.
Ginex is good primer from the Balkans. I have no hesitation to use them.

Military rifle primers have lower sensitivity to avoid slam fires. No problem except for guns that have reduced striker / hammer springs for lighter trigger pulls.

Shortage is true. But it isn't that bad, if you research and improvise. I have lived through at least two. Each time I learn new things.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IMO,the 257 R is a great cartridge. Part of what s good about it is that it is very easy to shoot well,

I have had great results with 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. I use H4831SC

Mine is an Ackley Improved but your standard 257 R is just fine.

Whack the heart/lungs. It does not scrap as much meat as something like the 7mm Rem Mag.

The 257 R is a necked down 7x57. As has been mentioned, the 6mm Rem is another necked down 7x57. These are minor case forming operations.

Virgin or neck annealed brass is best.

Loading your own you are never at the mercy of "What load will they maybe have on the shelf this time?" Find your load and YOU will always have THAT load.

Ginex is good primer from the Balkans. I have no hesitation to use them.

Military rifle primers have lower sensitivity to avoid slam fires. No problem except for guns that have reduced striker / hammer springs for lighter trigger pulls.

Shortage is true. But it isn't that bad, if you research and improvise. I have lived through at least two. Each time I learn new things.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I learned a lot from the last shortage. I still did not anticipate the extreme primer shortage. I was stocked up enough on everything except small pistol. I had about a years supply but that does not last indefinitely. I was down to 2000 at one time.

Welcome to reloading & the "quarter bore" family!

You didn't mention the firearm that is chambered in 257 Roberts.

I say this because there are still quite a few older rifles chambered in it still out there.
Factory 257 Roberts ammo is kinda anemic due to this.
For a more modern firearm there is a "+P" loading.
Essentially loaded to 2,000psi higher than "standard" 257 Roberts.

With +P the medium slow powders really shine. Stuff like the 4350/RL17 at the faster side of burn rate. 4831/RL19 really work well.
But if you can find some, grab a supply of Hodgdon Hybrid 100V!!

As for primers, any large rifle primers will work for the 257 Roberts and your 308.
You can use large rifle magnum primers also, but cut back on your powder charge.

Another place to check for bullets & cases is Blue Collar Reloading.
www.bluecollarreloading.com

I did not know that 7x57, 6mm, and 30-06 brass could be necked down to .257 Rob. That is good to know because the brass is also hard to find. I expect I will be learning how to do that in the near future. Big thanks ammo.crafter and HiBC!

std7mag- The rifle is a 'sporterized' Mauser G33/40 action with a G.R. Douglas barrel. The rifle has been in the family for years, and is now my 12 y/o son's deer rifle. We have long shot +p factory ammo in the rifle. I have tried to research max pressure for a G33/40 and I have never found any firm data. I asked a gunsmith once and got a coy answer of "it should be fine", so if anyone could shed more light on that topic I would appreciate any comments.

IMG-1781.jpg

Last edited:
Back