Large Business Deal Heading my Way.

Gunslick

If I take it on, and its all up to me. So here it is.

I have a guy thats gonna back me 100%. We are carpenters him and I, so our idea was-we just had a new Fed. Court House built, and were going to build a pretty large building, housing 3 Lawyer firms upstairs, MY FFL custom Gunsmithing shop and Sporting goods store.

On the East side of the Gun shop will be a Bam Core (Bamboo building product) assembly shop where we will sell this product to customers as an alternative to interior walls. IT IS ALSO BULLET PROOF which is nice. (hopefully Class 3 so we can do contracts-but I need to research a little more)

So this is going to be at least a year in the making but we have the cash now just other projects first to finish up.

I LIVE IN CA, I have to do my research but with a very well secured building I am hoping we can go from a Class 7 FFL to a Class 3-and what ever steps it takes on the way. We have the money and the plans are partially drawn up.

I know laws are changing in CA but who cares, there will always be a market.

I am certified Glock armoror.

I'm taking out a loan for 40gs in tooling and gonna get to work, I already specialize in "featurless" ak's and ar's and who cares about the assault weapon deal-personally I don't want to conform but that is another subject.

I want to be able to build guns all legit and legal from parts kits and sell them under our name. We are going to be the best Custom Gun shop in CA.

Another part of the gun side of this business will be training with tactics since I do not like the word "tactical". I will be the trainer and I have a partner to help me with that,

I will be a Gunsmith along with a partner that I am going to teach. We already have 6 Hydraulic Presses 12 ton-I figure with the class 3 we can make money by manufacturing (that's right have to get manuf. licence too, no biggie) firearms-assign them serial numbers and ship out of state.

My and my partner have half a mil were are starting with and will probably need a little more but we have it. Okay I am going to stop there and let you guys comment. I am only 29 this is part of my business plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I take it on, and its all up to me. So here it is. I have a guy thats gonna back me 100%. We are carpenters him and I, so out idea was-we just had a new Fed. Court House built, and were going to build a pretty large building, housing 3 Lawyer firms upstairs, MY FFL custom Gunsmithing shop and Sporting goods store and on the East side of the Gun shop will be a Bam Core (Bamboo building product) assembly shop where we will sell this product to customers as an alternative to interior walls. IT IS ALSO BULLET PROOF which is nice. (hopefully Class 3 so we can do contracts-but I need to research a little more)

So this is going to be at least a year in the making but we have the cash now just other projects first to finish up. I LIVE IN CA, I have to do my research but with a very well secured building I am hoping we can go from a Class 7 FFL to a Class 3-and what ever steps it takes on the way, we have the money and the plans are partially drawn up. I know laws are changing in CA but who cares, there will always be a market, I am certified Glock armoror-taking out a loan for 40gs in tooling and gonna get to work, I already specialize in "featurless" ak's and ar's and who cares about the assault weapon deal-personally I don't want to conform but that is another subject. I want to be able to build guns all legit and legal from parts kits and sell them under our name. We are going to be the best Custom Gun shop in CA. Another part of the gun side of this business will be training with tactics since I do not like the word "tactical". I will be the trainer and I have a partner to help me with that, I will be a Gunsmith along with a partner that I am going to teach. We already have 6 Hydrallic Presses 12 ton-I figure with the class 3 we can make money by manufacturing (that's right have to get manuf. licence too, no biggie) firearms-assign them serial numbers and ship out of state. My and my partner have half a mil were are starting with and will probably need a little more but we have it. Okay I am going to stop there and let you guys comment. I am only 29 this is part of my business plan.

You do realize that virtually every ban has a manufacturing clause in Kali. That's why virtually every "MANUFACTURER" has moved out of Kali.

The basic premis is 'if you can't sell it here, you can't make it here'.

If you are serious about this, you may wish to rethink your location.

It could work. Keep in mind how large CA's market really is. Perhaps you could pick up where the lack of gunsmiths here leaves off.

The BamCor business and the building offices to lease sound good, but sinking a bunch of bucks into a gun business you could lose at the stoke of the Governor's pen sounds, in a word, foolish.

Aside from still not really understanding what the plan is -- was there a question in there?

Not that I could tell. I'm confused that being 29 is part of his business plan.

My only suggestion would be to add a restaurant / bar / liquor store to the overall facility...might as well feature a one-stop shopping experience if your plan involves selling bamboo and guns...

Im a contractor and a gun guy. I've studied the ffls. If you can obtain class 3 and have a legit business you can make and sell about anything to lawn enforcement or out of state. As long as ur not building for your personal collection.

Well, keep us informed about what you name your business. You might get some sales from this site. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Good luck.

I am only 29 this is part of my business plan.

Dude, you've been an adult for over a decade. Just saying.

And also, what is your tactical background, military, law enforcement, etc? I'm asking because you said you'd be teaching it.

My only comment is that you better put some hard numbers to what you plan to do before you spend a dime. Nine out of Ten businesses fail. I would advise preparing a bullet-proof business plan and budget first. It should account for negative income over the first 3 years (i.e. you will be putting money in the business, not taking salaries or profits) and have an ample source of funds to carry the business until you are firmly established.

This, of course, is presuming that you have already done your market research and have established bountiful demand for whatever it is you will be selling.

Gunslick ...... I've studied the ffls.....
No, you haven't...........I can tell from your OP that you know little about Federal Firearms Licensing, "Class 3" and what is involved in manufacturing firearms.

Being a "contractor and a gun guy" has no bearing on this business venture. Frankly, I question the sanity of the guy who is going to bankroll your "Large business deal".
You have no experience in manufacturing or dealing in firearms, no real knowledge of the FFL system or what is required to get your "Class 3". You have no idea of how you are going to land "contracts" and I have no idea what you think that means.

I am certified Glock armoror-
So am I......and so can anyone else who can sit still for eight hours.

taking out a loan for 40gs in tooling and gonna get to work,
I want to meet the loan officer who agrees to that.:rolleyes:

I already specialize in "featurless" ak's and ar's and who cares about the assault weapon deal-personally I don't want to conform but that is another subject.
Wait.........you are currently gunsmithing/manufacturing and you don't hold an FFL?:rolleyes:

Oh brother.:eek:

What you've presented is not a business plan....it's a pipe dream.

Last edited:
What kind of tooling are you going to buy? Do you have experience with running a manual lathe or mill, along with Tool & Die making? Do you know how to do a proper firearm finish? Why did you buy 6 hydraulic presses? Do you have 6 people to run them? How are you going to compete with factory featureless rifles (including VEPR and the new Kalashnikov USA rifles soon to go into production) as well as the many custom AK makers including Krebs Custom and Rifle Dynamics?

I recently talked to a gentleman who owns a shop manufacturing upgraded trigger systems for a number of popular guns (Glock, S&W M&P/Shield, Springfield, Walther etc.) and they moved out of California to nearby Arizona because the environment in California was so difficult for them as a manufacturer - and they didn't even sell guns. Just triggers, barrels and accessories. With California's ever-increasing tide of gun restrictions, you could easily find even your "featureless" firearms banned for sale, possession or manufacture in the state before you ever have time to turn a profit. Have you considered what would happen in this case?

I'm also a little confused what the bamboo shop and 3 lawyers have to do with this. Are they going to be part of the FFL as well?

This is America and you can do what you want with your money. Personally, I would suggest taking a small fraction of that money and enrolling into some gunsmithing and business courses to increase your skills and slowly start building up from there. Or partner with a manufacturer already up and running who wants to expand into new types of rifles for your particular market.

Just my two cents

Additionally, this operation will require ITAR registration under the Arms Export Control Act with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls*, which is part of the Department of State.

Although ITAR conceptually concerns exports, a small arms manufacturer must register whether or not actual exporting is intended to take place. Also, since this program falls under the purview of the DoS, the ATF is uninvolved; ITAR registration is completely separate and distinct from obtaining an FFL.

The yearly fee is $2,250 currently.

*Footnote #1: Is it just me, or does the term "Directorate" make it sound like a government bureau that would exist in a autocratic monarchy or dictatorship? Maybe it's just me. :)

*Footnote #2: This is only tangentially related to the recent guidance letter controversy in which the DoS seemingly applies the ITAR "manufacturing" provisions to minor gunsmithing; legitimate manufacturing was already subject to ITAR and has been for years. Lastly, it has nothing to do with the UN ATT, the EU, globalist conspiracies, or other affiliated tinfoil millinery. ;) ITAR has been on the books for decades. This is not new; it's just not well known to non-manufacturers.

Last edited:
gunslick said:
I am only 29 this is part of my business plan.

For your sake, I sure hope that the rest of your business plan is both written and researched MUCH better than the part that you've shared with us.

I don't know if they still exist, but there used to be an all-volunteer organization called SAGE that was made up of retired business executives. They had chapters in most cities. Their function was to help young entrepreneurs by reviewing their proposed business plans and helping the young guys figure out where the weaknesses and pitfalls lie.

I would suggest seeing if there's a chapter in your city.

Personally, I would suggest taking a small fraction of that money and enrolling into some gunsmithing and business courses to increase your skills and slowly start building up from there.

Well, that's not going to happen.

A quote from Gunslick from another thread.
In my opinion there is no need to take any classes for gunsmithing.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6353548#post6353548

Still wish him well...like the old saying goes 'Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.'

Plus Gunslick and his partner have half a million bucks so there is that. I mean that indicates they're doing something right.

Back