Large bore revolvers: Wood or Rubber when shooting?

CDR_Glock

I want to be able to control my revolver without feeling it smack me in the palm. I thought I could handle hunting loads in my 629 3" Deluxe but wood grips gave me a beat down. After two cylinders of 240 grains I had to take a break. I also want to be able to use hot Buffalo Bore 44 Magnum cartridges. This wood has to go.

I had to switch to Hogue Rubber grips.[emoji23]

2a4e48cce7d2f293024c18719b74750e.jpg
182500525667c8078b7f279033b86c0c.jpg

How many of you prefer rubber over wood in your large bore revolvers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have big hands with long skinny fingers. Those rubber hogues don't do it for me. One of my gripes about L Frame or larger Smiths are finding grips that work for me.

I like Ahrends the best I think.

Rubber... I'm tough on guns, and hate damage. Rubber is a little more forgiving, and if I need to, cheap to replace.

ituzga5.jpg

With my revolvers, I typically have 2 sets of grips. Some nice wood to put on them when I want to show them off, and some rubber grips that see more use at the range. It has the added benefit of making sure pretty walnut grips don't get scuffed up from use, which is a plus if I decide to sell the gun down the road.

I find rubber grips to be more comfortable to shoot with, even with light loads. They seem to conform to the hand a bit better.

Stock S&W wood.
I can't stand rubber.
I've never been able to eek out the best precision with the squishy rubber grips that the nice solid feel of wood provides.

I prefer the feel of Hogue', but they provide no extra cushion since the back strap of the grip frame isn't covered. The Pachmeyer's do provide a pretty fair bit of rubber in this area for better cushioning. I do actually like the feel of the Pachmeyer's, but they are butt ugly. So I keep the Hogues on my 4" model 57 and only shoot light and moderate loads, but keep the Pachmeyer's on my 6" model 57 for heavy magnum loads.

I prefer the feel of Hogue', but they provide no extra cushion since the back strap of the grip frame isn't covered.

Depends on the model gun.
The hogues for the LCR series have an extra cushion on the backstrap where it hits the web.

I love the looks of wooden grips and it seems more natural on a revolver. But I also think that the rubber gives a more secure grip.

I do actually like the feel of the Pachmeyer's, but they are butt ugly.

If you want your pistol to be pretty put on pearl grips.
Then ask Gen. Patton how it looks! :D

I put Pacs on my Ruger Blackhawks, I put them on my Super Blackhawk, I put them on my S&W M28, and M29.

I don't give a rodent's posterior if the rest of the world thinks my guns are ugly. I didn't buy them for you(pl) to look at. Pacs feel good in my hand, on my SAs they are oversize and feel better than factory stocks.

I've had my fill of the cheese graters called stocks on S&W .44 magnums.

One friend of mine always asserted that S&W must own stock in Pachmeyer, because the first thing a serious shooter does after buying a S&W is to take the wood off and put Pachmeyer ON!

Wood goes in a box, stays pretty and goes back on the gun when/if you put it up for sale.

I'm fine with wood, or most anything else for light recoiling pistols. When you get to .357 recoil, and above, FOR ME, its rubber, all the way!!

And yes, I'm also one of those degenerates who puts a scope on a lever action rifle (Marlins, anyway). I don't care much about traditional looks, I care about seeing what I'm shooting, and HITTING it! ;):p

The later checkered stocks Smith and Wesson used are crap. They're too thick and shouldn't have been checkered. The rubber grips go too far in the other direction.

Has little to do with looks. I think if most the people who favor rubber actually had a set of custom stocks made from a hand tracing they would change their tune and Hogue would be out of business.

I hate the way rubber grips look but when it comes to shooting heavy recoiling loads they are much better than wood.

These grips are especially ugly but make shooting my SBH 44 mag much more enjoyable.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170409_150845_zpsqbhl4q08.JPG
    20170409_150845_zpsqbhl4q08.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 384
I am part of the Ahrends group, I love the looks of the wood grips and the Ahrends fit my hand perfectly. I wear a size large glove if that helps.

You need something that fills your hands - that you can hold firmly...so in most cases ( S&W 629's and 29's ) I go with Hogue wood grips with finger grooves and a checkered palm swell in them - on all of mine from a 3" to an 8 3/8"...

Back