Landlord question & security

Is it Legal?

I must ask, regarding the apartment conversions, did you obtain the necessary building permits, meet all building codes and obtain a C of O? The reason I ask is that there are so many thousands of illegal apartments that when a crime does occur at one of them, one of the first things mentioned is that the apartment was illegal, painting the landlord in a very negative light right from the beginning.

Some very good points are raised here. While we have no obligation to retreat when in our own home or a dwelling we are licensed and privileged to be in, does this apply to a rental apartment that we own but do not occupy? Frankly, I don't know the answer. I do know a landlord may not enter a rented apartment except in an emergency, by pre-arrangement or perhaps the result of a clause in the lease.

Thanks for everyones input. I will contact a lawyer & my local police dept and get their advice. As far as insurance(Allstate), they already knew about having tenants and they were fine with it.

Sorry if that came out harsh. Didn't mean it to.:o

I just get tired of seeing lots of very nice people get their clocks cleaned becasue they decided to "play lawyer". I have seen it for over 16 years.

But what do I know? :)

Oh well, keeps us in business :(

Civil law firm issues...

I'd add to this topic that a well established & highly successful civil trial lawyer(a former assoc of the late Johnny Cochran) who runs a lot of print/media/tv/radio ads in my area directly markets to new clients who
want to sue business or private property owners who failed to provide crime prevention/security measures.
I don't have a JD but I'd venture a educated guess that these civil actions are on the rise all over the USA.

ClydeFrog

No matter how tight and effective your security, these sharks can and will sue you. Connie Francis, the singer, sued a motel here on Long Island following a break-in and rape, exactly what you're talking about. I'm not a lawyer so any opinion I might offer would be worthless.

Lasorsa.com legal issues....

An example I can provide would be www.Lasorsa.com . He's a retired US Secret Service agent who worked on POTUS security details.
The website states he can TESTIFY in court about a private business owner(s) lack of security or crime prevention measures.

I'll close by adding a recent high profile event in my area. A young woman was attacked, abducted & murdered by a violent, unstable nutcase.
The woman(19) was found by law enforcement dead. The victim's family put a civil suit against the car dealership for lack of security/security systems.

ClydeFrog

Back