lady's carry gun -- suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbryce

Hi, Mrs. sbryce here. This is my first foray into the handguns forum and I can see I can learn a lot by reading other posts -- IF I can keep all these new names and abbreviations straight!!

If you wouldn't mind helping a newbie, hubby suggested I start shopping for a carry gun for me. Do have the CCW. Don't have the money, but he wants me shopping now anyway. OK, where do I start?

We have a Beretta 92FS which I can shoot fairly comfortably, though it's waaay too big for me to carry. I've shot a single-stack Colt .45ACP which I liked better--but I was told it was loaded with light loads (handloaded). I put 3 of the first 5 rounds of that .45 in the bullseye at 25 yards. But again, it seemed a bit large for a carry gun. And I don't handload, nor will we in the near future, so I'm limited to factory ammo.

I'm thinking that for me, a IWB SOB carry would be best (did I get those abbreviations correct?). Hence my desire for a smaller gun. I think off-body carry unwise--even in a purse.

I'll go to a gun store and start handling guns, but what are your recommendations?

Thanks so very much.

Call me old fashioned, but I think the best handguns for concealed carry is the S&W J-frame 38 special or the Ruger SP101. They're simple, reliable, and have adequate stopping power. There are many different bullet shapes and weights to choose from which gives you a lot of versitility. Go to a range and rent a J-frame or a Ruger SP101 and see if you like them.

------------------
God Bless America

If you normally carry a 45 then you will probably think a 380 is too small. The Beretta 85F has a single stack (8) shot mag which makes the grip small(feels wonderful). The workmanship on this gun is flawless and striping it down is quick and simple. The only thing I dont like about it is that they have gone over board with the safety features. Oh yes... It is very accurate.

I second the Beretta 85F - load 'er up with nice zesty Corbons of Fiocchi and she'll serve you well. If you'd like the oomph of 9mm, the SIG 239 is of similar size and mighty nice, too. Ultimately, do yoyur homework find out what feels good for you, and practice. If you can handle that 92 or a .45, you'll find the smaller, lighter guns pretty easy. Good luck & stay safe, M2

If i had to give my girlfriend a CCW it would be the kel-tec 40cal. small,simple,lightweight. and affordable.

no safetys to fumble around with,easy,lightweight carry and reliable. cant go wrong with a kel-tec. you can pick this puppy up for about $200 !

------------------
TIM : )

You might consider the P908 or P911 from Taurus, if money is a concern. They are considerably cheaper than the Berretas. Only real difference is the 911 is an 11 shot double stacker instead of an 8 shot single stack, so it has a narrower grip. My ex was rather fond of my 908.

Be careful of the SOB holsters that fit over your spine. If you fall on your gun you are risking damage to a very vital area. Good luck with the gun choices!

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Scaramanga, I've fallen on my behind, but can't remember ever falling flat on my back. Just how likely is this?

Everyone else, thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone else?? :)

My wife has shot all of my guns, and her favorite is the Sig 230. The .380 cal is a little less than ideal, however much better than a .45 sitting home in the safe because it was too much to carry. The 230 is flat and sits nicely in a IWB holster. Plus, it is reliable and accurate.
If you want a 9mm, the Kahr K9 or MK9 are worth taking a look at. Hope this helps.

sbryce,

If you like the 45, you may consider the Kymber Ultra Carry 45. I have carried for 2 months and find that it fits my needs. It is small enough to carry in several means.

Vee

The Sig 232 (newer version of 230) is a good gun for the .380 round... It seems that you are already familiar with shooting so I would recommend going with a 9mm. I would recommend trying the following guns:

Sig 239 - 9mm
Sig 229 - 9mm
HK Compact USP - 9mm
HK P7M8
Kahr K9
Glock G19

sbryce: I'm not sure how likely a blow to that area would be, but I have heard that concern from other shooters. I do know some people who spend most of their day standing prefer the SOB despite the disadvantage. Not so much falling, but imagine being pushed/shoved into a wall, car, etc...

I hope I don't sound like a killjoy. Just want to be helpful. :)

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Based on experience with my own wife, forget about caliber considerations and focus on getting a gun that feels right in your hand. If its a Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP fine, if its a full size USP 45, fine, just get a big purse.

Try the Heckler & Koch USP9 compact with the flush fitting magazine baseplate and a stainless slide, I guarantee you'll love the feel and size of the grip. These are not the smallest compacts out there, but you will not find better. Avoid Glocks, their simplicity of operation actually requires more practice to master, not less, and they are not suited to carry in a purse (should you prefer that carry option) as there is too much for the trigger to snag on, keys, hairbrush etc. You will read a lot here about the effectiveness of larger calibers when in actual fact, it is the speed of presentation of the weapon that most often deters an attacker. A .32 staring him in his face is better than a .45 half way out of your purse/holster, if you lack hand/arm strength and prefer a smaller pistol don't be discouraged by what you read here, take a look at the latest double action .32 ACP's on offer, they are useful weapons close in, and are very quick to the presentation with minimal messing about with switches and buttons etc. Remember the objective is to keep from getting killed, not to kill.

Regards Ma'am and stay safe,

------------------
Mike H

I would highly recomend the KAHR K9 for any female. It is a great gun. Try one out before you decide on another firearm. Shake

Mrs Bryce,

From one woman to another, I know the dilemma you face in choosing a carry gun, and the carry method.

I will carry my SIG P228 (9mm) when my license gets here in a few weeks. I also have a Colt Detective's Special .38 Special on layaway that will be my backup carry. If you're not too petite (I'm not) the SIG would be a great choice. Very reliable. Although the P239, as someone else mentioned would be a little more concealable than the 228 since it has a single-stack magazine. If you want a .45 the SIG P245 is a nice compact .45. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable trusting my life to a .380 or a .32 TOO SMALL! (As in the SIG P230 or P232). 9mm is an easy round to shoot as is .40 SW.

I also had a .45 ACP which I loved. The barrel was ported, which really helped with the recoil. I ended up trading it in due to malfunctions but I do love the round. If you can handle a .45, I say carry it. There are compact .45's available that are quite easy to conceal.

I, like you, do not like the idea of carrying in a purse. I have ordered a IWB holster from AKJ Concealco, which is kinda an experiment/prototype. It will be positioned over my left kidney (I am left handed) and will have a steep reverse cant, meaning that the top of the slide will be pointing toward my spine, if that makes any sense.

I have found that carrying on my strong side hip, which a lot of men do, is VERY uncomfortable, as our pants ride higher than a man's. I found that the gun really dug into my ribs when I wore it that way. Over the kidney may not be the most ideal way to carry (there are safety issues if you're in an accident-I will simply take the holster off when driving), but it seems the most comfortable to me. If you like, when I get the holster and try it out, I'll let you know how it works out.

The market for holsters made specifically for women is pretty scarce and despite what the feminist movement would have us to believe, men and women are designed differently!! (OK OK, no soapboxes...)

Decisions Decisions! I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

My wife loves her Lady Kahr.

Of course she just bought a Springfield today as well - but shes crazy like that.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I noticed that many ladies fell in love
with Ruger SP101 in .357. This thing is
so handy, mechanically strong, easy to use, visually attractive, and
excuse me, foolproof, that I would
recommend it for any lady, even she is
not a hot shot...

Dear Mrs. Sbryce,
DO NOT get a full sized handgun. You will carry it for two weeks in a sack or something and then leave it at home.
As for calibers the least is a .32 and the most is a .40 s&w. Anything more or less is not bery advisable.
For a lady carrying concealed, I suggest the following in no particular order. My wife agrees with me too. She's 5'2", weighs 105 lbs., and carries either in her purse or at her waist.
Glock 26 9mm with a saf-t-blok
Walther PPK/S in .380 cal
Sig P239 9mm or .49 s&w with a saf-t-blok
Kahr MK9 with a saf-t-blok
Kel Tec P32
As for holsters, please check out the Nancy Special from Mitch Rosen, it's real pricey but real nice.
PLease take your time and decided wisely.
Have a nice day ma'am. :)

My wife tried all the guns for fit and found a Taurus 85 .38 in stainless with the 3" barrel was perfect for her. The 3 inch barrel instead of 2 inch helped with recoil and the stainless finish makes maintenance easier. Also the grip size fits her smaller hand better. She also likes revolvers because they are more reliable and no safeties to fumble in the dark or a stressful situation.

BMC,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>DO NOT get a full sized handgun. You will carry it for two weeks in a sack or something and then leave it at home.[/quote]

She won't! I did, and she's convinced that I'll do just as you described when I start carrying it.

FWIW she is leaning toward 9mm for various reasons. One being that I have a 9mm and it would be easier if we both used the same ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back