l1a1

forgot to mention the s/mount ? the wife brought me the dsa mount. fit's nice and hold's zero also. used as a replacement for the dust cover. if anybody is interested in building one i would go with the pac imbel import as it is in stock and forget about the entreprise and good luck on the dsa as dsa is 10mths' out on delivery!! buy a stg kit just for the parts.

Im trying to figure out what this stg58 parts kit gives me and what is all this about haveing enuf legal parts to use it? What am i missing here?......the dealer made a comment aobut having enuf american made parts to allow a pistol grip and stock etc...what is he talking about???fubsy.

You can use no more than 10, specific, imported parts to assemble a rifle after 1994 (I believe).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>LESSON 901: TEXT OF RELEVANT "RULES"
(Updated 03-28-99)

§ 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph
(c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly
suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term "imported parts" are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forging or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (turnings)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) (Magazine) Followers
(20) (Magazine) Floorplates

[T.D. ATF-346, 58 FR 40589, July 29, 1993] [/quote]

This rule is the reason your FAL has a thumbhole stock and, in most likelyhood, no muzzle device of any kind.

You can replace some of the "bad" imported parts with those that are made in the USA and "ATF Approved" to remain legal. Typically, these parts are: muzzle brake (brazed or welded in place), trigger, sear, hammer, pistol grip, gas piston, follower, floorplate, and sometimes the handguards.

I found the above quote from the FAL files at: http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/index.html

destructo6,
that helped some what but that is one nightmare of a piece of legislation.....Having primarily stayed with ar's, garands, and m1a's---this is a educational journey here.......they really broke this down, mag body, follower, and floorplate....sounds like a boxer/finestein bill.....sheesh........
Ok, here is the 64 dollar question.....can I swap the thumb hole stock for a pistol grip and stock set up, if I replace some of the foreign parts on that list that are in my rifle to american made parts?........if that is possible what are the most common parts that are swapped?...tks fubsy.

If you follow the guidline, it should be kosher. The parts I replaced with US made parts had no more than a single digit stamped on them, so I don't understand how they could be proved to have been imported or not.

The parts that are currently available are: trigger, hammer, sear, pistol grip, gas piston, muzzle brake, and hand guards. Barrels are also available, but cost about $200 and need to be installed by a smith.

Keep in mind that a FAL doesn't have all the parts listed in the ATF's list of nasties. The FAL has no barrel extension/trunion, op rod, or disconnector.

I believe gun plumber has a better gouge on this last topic. You can find his site off the FAL files web site.

More FAL info......

Another good way to make sure your FAL is legit (7 USA made parts) is to get USA made (wood) buttstock and forearm/handguards from a place in San Jose, CA., called Ironwood Designs (more information on this place can be found at the FAL Files web site mentioned previously).

That is two USA parts right there that doesn't really effect the mechanical aspect at all. Get a pistolgrip from them (I think the total will cost you upwards of $150 though), and that is three. Then just get hammer, sear, trigger for $90-100 bucks, that is six, and have the muzzle threads removed, and I believe, the way the law is written, that counts as seven (and this way you don't have to buy a muzzle brake and have it permanently afixed).

A "very good" StG-58 kit will cost you $225 from A&D Global (again more info on the FAL Files web page), and a truly excellent Imbel receiver from Dealer Warehouse will cost you $307.95 (that includes shipping and handling).

Add some ammo, and magazines, and some "put together costs" and all this comes to 900.00, plus or minus $75 or so.

Certainly not cheap.

But fun.

Very fun.

Duncan

PS...I think I rambled here lots and may be way off topic...sorry

Duncan,
thanks for responding, and Im fast approaching overload here.....lol.....Im waiting for some information that ive requested att.......tks fubsy.

Fubsy, those guys on the FalFiles discussion board seem to be into flame wars, don't they? No moderation or rules seem to be enforced.

destructo,
Dont know Ive been a little busy and have only visited once....Ill go chk it out though.....fubsy.

I just popped over their for a minute and they are busy....lol.....I had to search for my question...it way down the page..lol.....I cant wait to try out that l1a1< I hope I get the chance before my move...fubsy.

[This message has been edited by fubsy (edited August 07, 1999).]

That's why I quit going there on a regular basis over a year ago. Hesse and DSA reps used to post and answer questions regularly but left after a LOT of flaming.

Back