KSG Owners Only

These units are always testing new guns to see if they might be useful.
A few years ago the internet was aflame after someone saw a few Army Special Forces personnel on a military post range shooting .50 caliber Desert Eagle pistols.
Instantly the word went out that the Green Berets were buying and using the Desert Eagle.
Not.
They were just doing the usual testing to see if they might have a use in some circumstance.
Possible they would in some unusual situation were an ultra powerful pistol would do the job so they're probably in a Special Forces armory. And if the Special Forces thought they might be useful, probably the other Special Ops units would also buy them.

Even with SF/ Spec Ops it doesn't work that way. If some Green Beret's were shooting a Desert Eagle on a range it was most likely because their sole mission is training foreign military units. I've literally been issued 14" barreled 870's and 590's, for the sole purpose of breaching. People can write anything they want on the internet, it doesn't make it true.

I seem to have inadvertently pushed one of your buttons, sorry if I did, I simply reported what I read.

As for the Desert Eagle and Special Forces, it was not reported as "some Green Beret's were shooting a Desert Eagle", it was more like 7 or 8 Special Forces soldiers, each shooting a number of Desert Eagle pistols.
Either some troops got a real buy on Desert Eagle, or it was possibly an evaluation/familiarization with the DE for whatever purpose.
The report had it that this was not some guys plinking, they seemed to be doing serious shooting.

The report of the Kel-Tec KSG in "a special ops armory" was not some anonymous guy on a gun forum.
The article was in either a newspaper or news magazine. Sorry I don't remember which.
The writer, as I recall was retired military special operations of some sort.

The thrust of the article was that special operations used mostly standard weapons with a few unexpected non-standard types, like the short Remington 870 Witness Protection type shotgun and the KSG.
The writer stated that he didn't see any Area 51 developed Star Wars laser pistols that fit in the hip pocket and could shoot down an aircraft from 40,000 feet.
Most weapons were pretty much standard military with a few unusual surprises people might not expect to see used by the military.

As I said, there is some kind of high end Korean special ops unit known as the "White Tiger" that uses the KSG and there's at least one picture on the internet of a Korean soldier firing the KSG from a "Little Bird" helicopter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/707th_Special_Mission_Battalion

The KSG is also in use by the French R.A.I.D. (Recherche, Assistance, Intervention, Dissuasion) force which is apparently the French version of the FBI Hostage Rescue unit.
The Wikipedia page on the Kel-Tec KSG states that it's in limited use by the US Army and some private military companies.

Again, sorry if I stepped on toes, I was simply pointing out that Kel-Tec has at least one firearm that meets some pretty high standards, and may be something a person looking for an effective, ultra compact shotgun might consider.
Personally, I'd be rather surprised if something like the KSG didn't turn up in special ops armories.
Which makes me wonder if somewhere there might be a couple of DP-12 shotguns too.

Last edited:
Back