Konus rifle scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Konus telescope a couple of years ago. Cheap, fuzzy at focus, color abberations and it fogged up in cold weather. I would avoid any Konus product, especially a rifle scope.
Suggestions on other makes and brands is a polite way of letting you know that Konus is considered a POS by some folks. Me included. Caveat Emptor, brother...:eek:

LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.
SFC US Army (ret. 1996)

Seems to be some disagreement here. Of course, the people who say they have used Konus products and they were junk seem to be refering to older units.

It is very possible that they have gotten much better (especially if the owners are in WA). The Chineese are catching up on manufacturing ablility - like the Japaneese and Taiwaneese a couple of decades ago...

-tINY

Vx-i

NDN-MAN,

Just to let you know, I bought a Leupold VX-I brand new on sale at Dick's a few months ago. I paid $179.00. That's not much as scopes go, plus you get the Leupold warranty. I have it mounted on my Remmy 700 LTR. The rifle probably deserves an upgrade when I get a few extra rupies but for right now I'm very happy with this scope.:)

I refuse to use any Chinese optic based upon experience.

But that's like saying "I refuse eat beef ever again based on an experience with getting sick one time from a hamburger from Wendy's". Far too broad; fails to take into account critical distinctions, changing times, industrial & technological progress in the China, etc. Nonsensical IMO. Not saying Konus is great; I have no idea; but saying that you simply cannot lump all things together just because they're made in the same country. Wilsons and Lorcins are both Made in U.S.A., correct?

If money is tight just use the irons untill you can afford a decent scope .Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 at $220.00 is a no brainer and it will be the best money you ever spent on a scope. clear ,bright and will hold zero . go check them out you will see the differance . cheap glass is a drag in the field.:D

just my opinion: dont ever buy a cheap scope to put on a rifle bigger than a .22. i spent a lot of time, ammo, and money in buying cheap chinese made scopes under $100 and after buying a new weaver grand slam scope for my 700 i will never buy a "cheap" scope again. you do not have to spend a fortune on a decent scope. $200 will get you all the scope you need, for a basic scope anyway. you will spend more money on ammo trying to sight it in everytime you want to shoot it. a .30-06 is going to have a lot of recoil and chances are, that scope will not hold zero for anything. save yourself the time money and frustration and just put a little more money into glass for your rifle.

ok, most people have no idea how scopes are made, if you do not want something from china, then throw all your scope away. there are only 3-4 companies in the world that cut glass for optics, as it is a very complex ordeal. yes some are of better quality than others, but most of the parts come from several differnt companies and assembled in the country of the so-called origon.

konus are assembled in italy, the main office is in flordia. there warenty is replacement, or if you are not satisfied they will buy you one of the same make as theirs. also if you return yours for being broken they will overnight express you a new one.

exclent scopes with one of the best warenties.

This one's been dead for six years...

That said, I just picked one up of the Konuspro M30 Tactical (6.5-25) at such a serious discount from it's $325 street price I couldn't pass it up. I've read mostly favorable reviews on the tactical line but a few unfavorable ones- so I wasn't willing to pay street price.

No opportunity to range test yet, but first impressions are favorable. Heavy, seems to be well built with solid (not mushy) clicks on the turrets and glass that's quite clear edge to edge.

That said, I'd expect any scope north of $300 to "hold zero"...don't know yet whether it can stand up to the type of tracking required to shoot it at 600-1000 yards.
If it tracks well, I might be buying another. We'll see...

Last edited:
I refuse to use a Chinese optic until I actually see some stand the test of time on a heavy recoiling rifle. I have yet to see a Chinese optic worth a flip. That might change tomorrow.:rolleyes:
There are some reliable optics available in the Konus price range, but I dare not mention them out of respect to the O.P.'s insistence.

kronus scopes are made in italy, I know several people that have them and swear by them, bty most optics glass is ground in china. I know your point though, but a lot of people including myself don't have the money for one of those high-end scopes. I use bsa 6-18x50 on my 22 hornet and love it, others hate them, just personal preference, and affordability

I dont claim to know anything about Konus, but are you sure their entire line is made in Italy? There is huge price difference between their higher end stuff and their other stuff.

Having bashed the Chinese equipment, I must admit that stuff happens with any glass. I got hit in the nose with my scope about 4 hours ago. That has not happened since I was a kid. I really got ticked off when I saw that I shot 7" left and 4" higher than the rifle was zeroed @ 100. I then noticed the scope was out of focus. I then noticed that the back ocular housing had separated and moved back 2". (Thats why I got hit in the nose.)
Not what you expect from an $700 scope made in USA with German lenses.
Customer service made it right. They said "if you are not in a hurry for a replacement, we will sent you a 2014 model in about a month. Its supposed to cost $400 more than the one you have." I said "I'll wait."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back