Knives

Sooner or later it happens to all of us. You're flyin' through your favorite Balisong moves (ever notice it's always when you're at your best...... I hate that!) and all of a sudden one of the handles falls at your feet. What an empty feeling.

Once again, this is posted by the BALISONG FORUM MODERATOR over @ bladeforums.com.

http://www.balisongxtreme.com/tips.htm

Once again, my preference is a fixed blade.

Fixed blade... full tang. Can it get any stronger or faster to deploy? I don't think so...

but... folders are easier to carry. Balisong are less technical to produce in a non-industrial setting (think older Manila) than the high tech locking folders. Thus, they were probably made with carryability/portability (plus lock strength) in mind versus a fixed blade. I think this was the intention versus doing the fancy flips.

I really doubt the many many knife fights in the streets of Manila involve lots of bali-flipping. And those folks are quite the knife fighters. Their fixed blades are probably machetes.

I liken flipping the bali to having an open cylinder on a revolver. You can close it nicely, or you can flip it shut one handed because it looks cool. But doing this isn't really good for the revolver, nor is flipping the bali. Of course a lot of fun time is spent doing tricks, but I see them as just tricks, not fighting techniques.

Clay, Chuck, all those guys from the forum are awesome at flipping, but I really haven't seen much of them related to knife fighting techniques... that Master Po guy on the other hand looks like he knows some stuff though.

but yeah, if portability isn't an issue, a fixed blade is certainly the way to go IMO.

If you're looking for a folder, the Spyderco Delica is a good choice in plainedge. It's big enough to do the job and inexpensive enough to afford. For a bigger carry blade, the CRKT Crawford/Kasper or Professional is also a good choice.

If you can carry a fixed blade (faster to deploy, less mechanical pieces to fail when Mr. Murphy is around), the Gryphon M10 by Bob Terzuola is a good choice. So is CRKT's Companion (the sheath that comes with it is serviceable but Mike Sastre's sheaths are more practical for daily carry and deployment).

Erick, Erick, Erick--cut, don't pry! ;)

The nice thing about a balisong is the security. Yes, it could break, but so could a conventional knife. On the other hand, most conventional lock types (particularly liner locks and back locks) have a tendency to fail unless done just right. These types are easy to make in such a way that just gripping them the "wrong" way will open the lock. Even then there's no way to make them "grip-proof."

With the Balisong, assuming you hold onto it, the lock will not fail short of actually breaking the pin or the handle. You can't help but hold it locked as long as you're holding the knife.

Of course, Balisongs are slower for most people (like me) than a Spyderco, and some of the newer designs like Axis locks and Rolling Locks are pretty hard to disengage by accident. So again, it basically comes down to what you feel like using.

I like a fixed blade too. For years, I have carried a Randall #1. Recently I have taken to carrying an origional ColdSteel 7 inch Tanto.

This is what has cought my eye recenty:Model 12 "Raymond Thorp Bowie" -- 13" blade, 1 5/8" wide, of 1/4" stock. Top cutting edge sharpened. 5 1/4" (approximate) leather handle. Brass lugged hilt. Duralumin butt cap. Modeled after design furnished by Raymond W. Thorp, author of The Bowie Knife. Probably the most nearly authentic Bowie type. (Wt. 20-26 oz.)

http://www.randallknives.com/bowie.asp

Defensive offensive blade.

Coldsteel Peace Keeper
Double edged fixed 7" blade
Carbon V steel
Good grip, good reach (internally).
Paid approx: $39 (2nd)

What I actually carry everyday (apart from the handguns)

Coldsteel Recon Tanto Folder
Stainless Steel Axis Lock 4" blade
Modifies Tanto point
Paid: $79 on knifepro.com

The Fixed blade is obviously superior to a folder as a defensive weapon, but I'm not in Sierra Leone and the folder clips comfortably in the pocket.

Regards,
HS/LD

Remember to check your local laws re: knife carry. For example, in my state, no double-edged blades are allowed, no autos, and nothing over 4" sharpened.

Here in Belgium you can't carry a knife that has a blade longer then the thickness of the palm of your hand. Also switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal here.

Back