KNIVES ARE DEADLY?

Jim I'm no more afraid of a knife than a gun. But I am afraid of a BAD GUY with a Knife than a Bad Guy with a Gun. I've been stabbed and I've been shot.......I'd rather be shot,,,, but better neither than either.

The best way I've seen this drill run is for the shooter to stand facing a target 5 to 7 yards away. Have another person (Knife man) stand shoulder to shoulder with the Shooter facing away from the target. A third person is helpful to watch.
Talk BS what ever and on his own signal the Knife man facing away from the target takes off running. The shooter draws and shoots the target. The watcher marks the place the runner (KNife man) was when the shot was fired.
You now know the minimum safe distance for that shooter. Normally 15 to 25 feet.

Well, folks, a couple of comments about this test. In any confrontational situation where I do not have clear view of my opponent's hands I will be (a) retreating or (b) getting my hand on my weapon or (c) drawing my weapon. Or a combination of a and b or c. If you put a hand in a pocket or hide your hand I'm not gonna just stand there, okay?
Sudden attack with no prior confrontation? I'm not going to stand there trying to pull the gun. I'm going to run or evade while pulling the gun. A truer test is how far it takes to catch me with the knife when you start from 21 feet away and I'm running away while getting my weapon prepared. Fight as you train. I train to run. I'm mentally prepared to bug out :)

Jim March-
Two simple questions:
1) What took you so long to find us?
2) What do you do with that thing after a Stallone movie's prop manager returns it? :).

Good to see you here.
Rich

Hi Rich!

I could be a Clintonesque weasel and talk for three pages about why I was attracted to TFL, or I could tell the truth:

I'm still sick as a dog with the flu and ran outta forums :D.

Seriously, GF didn't appeal and I remembered this was sort of a "sister site" to BF and decided to pop over. Methinks I'll stay, too, ya got a good crowd, VERY low number of thread closures, don't see much evidence of "topic Nazi moderators", etc.

OK, so I overdid it on "Politics" with the graphics...I cleaned it up, and I still recommend everybody see that thread and pull up the Colafrancesco papers links. Jeeeeesus what a mess.

Jim March

Back