KMBC.com; local sworn LEO killed in training incident...

These types of accidents make my feel physically ill. I'm so sorry for those involved. There is no such thing as being too careful with a firearm. Always check and double check.

An incident similar to the OP's happening in Arlington, TX in 2001.

I remember that one DNS.

And the other one in the locker room at the Dallas PD I think a few years earler where they discussed raiding drug houses and one demoed his technique forgetting his pistol, a Beretta 92 I think, was loaded.

Shot him dead right here in the locker room.

Deaf

I'm a trained Force-On-Force instructor, using Simunitions. The protocols are very strict, and all training is conducted within a "sterile" area, into which no live ammo or weapons are allowed.

This tragedy clearly occurred outside the training environment, without instructors. Force-On-Force training using Simunitions is safe. The officers involved in this incident were acting against their training, or, if untrained, beyond the scope of it.

The incident in the OP happened here in my hometown. I have a quite a few LEO friends but did not know either of the officers involved.

Rumors of seriously stupid behavior have been floating around but I can't say whether they are true or not. I've talked to a few buddies here on the police force and they seem to give the same story...

After the training session, a question gets asked about how it feels to get shot with a sim round. Thinking his firearm is loaded with sim rounds, one officer offers to "show" the other how it feels...

Regardless of what really happened or what was officially reported, this is such a sad incident that EASILY could have been avoided.

Back