Jorah or Moss? Great choice on the
Ultra Carry! How much was it? Have you
fired it yet? Recoil? Any jams? Start
a new thread if you like. Details
details , details!

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

Skorzeny,

I have the same dual configuration. There is some difference in the flip and recoil. But it does not seem to be as bad as it would first appear. Some of that I would attribute to the bull barrel design of my Combat Carry. I can feel the difference between the two guns. But I would not call the difference punishing. I really only notice it if I start playing with high end performance loads. Shooting my standard competion and practice loads, I don't notice it much.

I think where I do notice the difference is shooting weak hand. The Combat Carry seems pretty strong in that left hand. ;)

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

>Jorah or Moss?

Either one... I have one login from home and one from work, and accidentally used different nicknames.

>Great choice on the Ultra Carry!

Thanks. I'm really happy to have my first .45

> How much was it?

$630 before tax.

> Have you fired it yet?

I brought the gun home last night, read the manual, gave it a good cleaning. Tonight is Range Night, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I had a bad moment when I couldn't find the "disassembly tool" but had an intuition and tried a medium paper clip... perfect. Getting the pistol apart (field stripping it) was pretty straight forward, but I could have benefited from having an experienced person show me how to put it back together the first time. I did everything right, but it didn't feel right until I actually racked the slide and removed the paper clip from the retention hole; up until then, everything was loose, and I figured I'd screwed up... then it just "came together" and the gun was back to normal. An ammo question; on another list someone suggested using something in the 165 grain range of bullet weights rather than the more usual 230 grain. This was suggested to run better in shorty barrels like the 3-incher on the Ultra; any feedback? Experiences? I've gotten a couple boxes of FMJ 230, a box of 230 HydraShok, and one box of 165 gr HydraShok to see how they work.

More on Saturday after I actually try the gun.

-Moss

------------------

Carrying the 640 S/S 357 vs the 642 Airweight 38 Special? There is a significant difference. Much nicer to carry the airweight. I use Mexican carry, front pocket. Don' care 'bout no steenkin' laws!

------------------
Yankee Doodle

BigG, hope you're joking on that Mexican carry, better put that J-frame in the holster. Don't want to take a chance on some not so understanding lawman busting you for illegally carryin'. May lose that ccw. What do you shoot at in Atlanta?

Hey, everyone.

Okay, I took the Kimber out to the range Friday. First, this is my first time shooting a .45, and I was just stunned at how much different it was from my .38. Next, the range owner pronounced it to be a "sweet little gun with a really, really nice trigger." I have a lot of practice ahead to get used to handling the gun.

A question; there was no "disassembly" tool in with the pistol when I got it; can other Kimber owners tell me if Kimber actually does supply one, or does everyone actually just use home-made ones out of paperclips or what have you? My dealer says that Kimber doesn't supply 'em, and I'm wondering if he was just blowing smoke.

I'm very happy with the gun so far...

-Moss

Congrats, Moss - I love my little Ultra Carry. Both of my Kimbers came with the "take-down" tool - your dealer is blowing smoke!! I use 185 gr. JHP from Georgia Arms in my little guy - he seems to really like them. Have also used ProLoads in the same weight, and Federal HydraShok PD, and he doesn't fuss. The Kimbers seem to eat anything. Good luck with your new buddy. BTW, I have been carrying the Ultra in a Galco Deep Cover very effectively.

Im shoot sometimes at Bullseye in Lawrenceville. But I prefer to shoot outdoors, and even more, for free. So I shoot at the recreation area out at Exit 47 on I20. I forget the name. Real nice range, bring your own cardboard and targets.

------------------
Yankee Doodle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back