Kimber; Pro Carry or Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah Lavin

I have the downpayment ready for my first .45. I've settled on Kimber, and I'm waffling on Pro Carry vs. Basic Custom. Price is a factor, as are issues of weight, reliablity, carriability; I'm planning to get my CCW and wear the gun as much as possible.

Thanks for any opinion.

-Moss

------------------

If this firearm is going to be used in a professional manner or just for self protection then price should never even enter the picture. This is a firearm that you are getting to protect your life with or your families. Nothing wrong with Kimber, I just do not feel comfortable with the Kimber. I prefer the Sigarms P229, Sig P245, or the Sig P220, but each to his own this is why there are different manufactures. I hope I'm not misunderstanding your intension of carrying a firearm, but you make it sound like this is a game or you are going to look cool carrying this firearm around. CCW's are for a purpose and in most states you have to be able to show the need to carry a firearm concealed.

[This message has been edited by SFC (edited July 30, 1999).]

Jeez, maybe *I* am misunderstanding, but it sure as hell didn't sound to ME like he thought carrying was a game. Maybe you should try being a bit less critical and a bit more helpful.
As for the actual QUESTION, that will involve a bit more than you have told. First off, how do you usually dress? Do you wear garments that can reasonably conceal the full size gun? Are you willing to change how you dress to conceal the full size gun? What is your body build? Are you pear shaped or hourglass shaped? It is a HELL of a lot easier to carry a big gun when you chest and shoulders stick out farther than your gut.
I personally carry the full size Kimber Gold Match simply because 1) I CAN, and 2) I know I can hit what I aim at every time with the bigger gun and I can get fast and accurate follow up shots. The lighter gun has more recoil and muzzle flip, making fast follow up shots more difficult. But it is not a minor thing carrying a 2lb gun around all day long.
Do you walk a lot on your normal routine? Or does it involve more sitting? If you are on your feet all day long, you might want to go with the lighter gun.
I know I have probably confused you a bit, but these are all things you need to take into account.
If I had to give you firm advice based on the little I know, I would say get the Classic Custom first and try it. Shoot it, get used to it, and try carrying it. If, after a few days/weeks of carry you feel the Pro Carry would be the better choice then either trade the Classic Custom in on one or simply buy one outright.
Hope this has been helpful.

By the way SFC you are also wrong in your last statement. In most states (31 I believe) you do NOT have to show a need to acquire a concealed weapons permit.

I would like to protect myself. Is this not a good enough reason for CCW? Why should only a few have this right? If you are a law abiding citizen free of mental illness and certain religous beliefs then you should have the right to a CCW.

Moss, the Pro Carry is a fine gun. Compared to the Custom, it's shorter, lighter, and more ammo specific. Mine runs 100% on Hydrashok or Silvertips, won't feed semi wadcutters. It's a nice, light, accurate gun that you can carry all day without it dragging your pants down. Whichever you pick, don't expect the stock magazines to function 100%.McCormick or Colt work in mine.Good luck.

I don't think he is trying to "look cool
nor does he think this is a game." The question is legite! If you want CCW carry
in the IWB style , why not go with the
Kimber Ultra Carry? (3" barrel at 25oz. & 1.28"thick) Around here that model is $579.00 blue & $679.00 SS. Check out www.clipdraw.com it will fit your Kimber.

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

[This message has been edited by SHORTFUSE (edited July 31, 1999).]

Moss - I own a Kimber Gold Match and a Kimber Ultra Carry - the Gold Match is a little easier to shoot, but with practice, the Ultra Carry is a great carry gun - it's small, light weight and easily concealable. I decided on the Ultra Carry because of these features. I carry it the most over any other weapon I own.

Hi... I'm back with more details. Sorry not to be better
prepared first time around.

First; I don't see carrying a gun as even vaguely amusing,
much less a game of any sort. As for looking cool, I
gave that up 20 years ago, seeing it as an effort doomed
to failure; geek types just don't look cool... also, if I do
everything right, no one but my wife should know I even
have CCW, much less when I'm carrying it. Not sure what
I said in my first post to give that impression. Now, to
specifics. I've settled on Kimber after talking with many
people both at my local range and online over the past 10
months. Sigs have a great reputation, but they just don't
interest me, so I know I wouldn't be eager to strap it on
every day.

I live and work in North Carolina, and since I work in a
bank, I can't carry at work. I'll be carrying while driving,
while on errands around my small town, and in general when-
ever I'm not at work or visiting a restaurant where they
serve alcohol. NC requires classroom training before granting
CCW, so I'll be getting that training and attending additional
concealed-carry and related training as time and budget allow.

Price has to be a factor for me; I can convince my wife to
let me spend $700, but I can't convince her that I need $3000
for a gun... we just don't have that sort of leeway in the
budget.

I'm 39, 6'2", 195, slim looking but since I work on computers
all day I could be in better shape; my new Bowflex should help
with that. I've got a slight "love handles" effect. I have been
carting around my Model 10 S&W revolver in the house to get
a feel for the weight, so I am getting to know how much of
a pain it can be. The Pro Carry is my first choice because I
like the looks of it, it is 10 ounces less than the Custom, and
about an inch shorter. I prefer the full-length grips on the
Pro Carry over the Compact or Ultra Carry because the short
grips seem to cut into my palm. My choice is affected by
price in this way; if the Pro Carry is a hundred bucks more
than the Custom, then the improved weight and size would be
worth the price. If the price spread is $200, then I'd be
looking at using that money for buying a holster, belt, taking
classes, and buying ammo.

As for everyday activities, I spend more time driving and
sitting than walking. I live in NC, so I wear light clothing
most of the year, light overcoats the rest of the time. I dress
in business casual, which means pleat-front Dockers and golf
or button-down plaid shirts; I'm thinking IWB holsters would work fairly well. On the weekend, cargo shorts and t-shirts.

Lot of information, but I think I've answered all the
questions...

Thanks for your help!

-Moss

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moss (edited July 31, 1999).]

Moss, from what you have told me, it actually sounds like you might do better with the Kimber Compact or Compact Aluminum than the Pro Carry. Have you checked one out?

Moss, you said that you've been carrying the model 10 around the house to get use to the weight. So I take it that you're familiar with the revolver. How about a Smith and Wesson M642 Centennial loaded with .38 spl +P, carried in the front pocket of the pleated slacks that you normally wear. With your size , the little 15 ounce J-frame would simply disappear, NOBODY would know you have one. I'm not trying to steer you away from the Kimbers , either one would be a good choice. But with the little J-frame, you can have one with you all the time (within the law , of course). Good luck and stay safe.

Ricky T , tell me about your 642?
What's that recoil like?
Accuracy? Some states you have to
carry your gun in a pocket holster.
It would be great to carry mexican
style! No offense Many.

I op'ed for a combination of the two. I carry the Kimber Combat Carry out of the Custom Shop. It gives me the lightweight of the alum frame and the accuracy of the longer barrel. It is not a recoil monster either. The meltdown makes it very snag resistant.

I put it in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I have to say I love this holster. It clips to my pants IWB. The kydex clips allow me to slip my shirt between the pants and the holster. I can carry this rig in the hottest summer weather here in Texas and still not print.

My one piece of advise to you here Moss, regardless of which of the Kimber's you choose, pay attention to the holster you decide to use. I have gone through several before the Sparks. It is the only one I have found that lets me forget the weight on my hip.

Magazines were mentioned as well. The Kimber slide stops on these smaller units are not really compatible with Wilson mags. I have not spoken to many people who did NOT have problems with this combination. However, it is easily remedied. I switched the Kimber slide stop with a Wilson slide stop. All my lock back problems went away.

Feeding of a Kimber seems to be better than most. But even some of these need a little polishing. My Combat Carry feeds everything I have tried. But my polymer has been a little picky. Even after the throat job I had done on it. Others have reported similar experience. I'm off to the range in a couple of hours to test a wide range of new reload receipes. :) Wanna make sure I come up with a combination that works well in both guns.

Best of luck on your new Kimber.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I'm always interested in holster opinions, too; in this thread I heard about Milt Sparks and "grip clip" setups. The S&W 642 is a great looking gun, and I like the internal hammer for pocket carry. I'll price it; maybe it can be the next item on my wishlist. The M640 in .357 Mag would be my other choice for a pocket gun, but the additional 8 ounces might make it a little harder to "forget" that it was there! I got feedback from several people on Kimber prices, and they were all over the board. Looks like price will not be the biggest factor... now I've gotta pop in to the store again and look at:
Ultra Carry
Compact Aluminum
Combat Carry
Pro Carry
Custom --

-- each of which got a vote from different folks on this forum!

Ah, I wish all choices were this much fun to agonize over...

Thanks again for your help.

-Moss

------------------

As far as holsters and belts and extra mag holders go....bite the bullet and get the complete set up, if this is coming on an off all the time consider a paddle style holster, although the pistol will be outside of the pants........I use three different iwb holsters, an old Galco for a 1911, a coulple of old milk sparks, summer special types, and Kramer.....personally im sold on the kramers horsehide, although In a conversation with Milt Sparks and co. they have had a nother iwb that I need to evaluate but cant really convince myself of the need att.......I dont personally like thumb snaps, although some do, my rational is that I dont want anything else to have to concern myself with if Im drawing a pistol than a firm grip--but people are different and you might want that feature....fubsy.

Shortfuse,
My 642 is carried in an Uncle Mike Pocket Holster, in GA you must carry in holster, Mexican carry is illegal, I wouldn't carry it that way anyway, the gun can easily fall out. The recoil is not heavy at all , just keep the bullet light, under 125 gr. +P. Winchester 95 gr. or 110 gr. +p are perfect for it. Accuracy is about 2-3" at 5-7 yds in my hand, rapid fire. Concealment is a piece of cake, no one can tell you have one on, I'm 5'9" , 160 lb. When you can't carry anything else (1911, Glocks, Sigs, etc.) you can carry a 642.

I've got a ProCarry that is my principal carry weapon. I looked at the Compact, but liked the grip better on the ProCarry and the difference in carry-ability was negligible. The ProCarry is extremely accurate and very easy to shoot; I've shot at my club's "practical carry" nights using the ProCarry and, frankly, do just about as well as I do with my P14-45 Ltd. Mostly I carry either in an IWB, unless I'm wearing only shorts and a T-shirt, in which case I use a fanny pack. The only thing I don't like about the ProCarry is the 8-round capacity, but that sort of comes with the territory.

Moss,

I own a full sized Kimber as well as the Compact aluminum, AND I have a CCW. The full size is easier to shoot and so I tend to do most of my practice with it. Carry it? Tried, its a bear, very difficult to pack around.
The Compact aluminum is not really a problem to carry but is punishing to shoot extensively.
Since the gun is for carry, my advice is to get one of the Compact models and let price be your guide. You'll be happy with any of them.
For ammo in the compacts, look at Federals new Personal Defense Ammo. Its the standard Hydra-Shock but in 165 grain instead of the old 230 grain. Lighter bullet but it travels faster and has much less recoil.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Keith Rogan:

Since you have both a full-size Kimber (steel) and an aluminum-framed compact, could you tell me if there is a significant difference in muzzle flip and recoil?

My guess is that there is since the weight difference is 10oz (38 vs. 28)!

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Hi, All

I just wanted to finish off this thread by letting you know that I settled on the Kimber Ultra Carry after discussing things with several people. "Size Really Does Matter" was the general consensus on CCW guns.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back