Kimber. Overpriced?

Ukrainitz

Cheap is expensive.
Have .45 ACP Kimber stainless II and Custom II. Both came out of the box and started dropping dimes, center target, 7 yards. Broke them in at about 400 rds. Then starts the conversation: "They are overpriced.""I could have bought 2 (fill in the blank with ur favorite manufacturer)."
Any thoughts?

I guess my question is, are you happy with your Kimbers? If you are would you be satisfied with a cheaper something else.
I've bought a lot of guns that I've been told are to expensive or not as good as brand X.
My reply has always been, I'm happy, it's a cool gun, and I'm having fun with it.

Dropping dimes must mean something different than I last knew.

If you enjoy the pistol and it performs well for you, what does it matter what someone on the internet (who you will likely never meet), or even someone in person, thinks about that pistol? You already have the pistol, unless you’re going to sell it the fact that it was more than some other options is a moot point now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Kimber, had to do a little work to it, dimpled the slide stop, filed the front sight to sight it in, Colt sear spring. The gun works well now accurate and reliable. You most likely have to do these things or something at least to any sub 1000.00 pistol. You might be able to buy 2 Citadels or Rock Islands for the same money but you will have less guns, they are not as good. I have a Citadel 9MM, put in an EGW bushing, tried to inst. a group gripper, couldn't get the pin out, broken ejector at approx 3000 rounds, rear sight slot is oversized, had to locktite the rear sight. It shoots good enough for IDPA, I had fun with it but it's no where good as the Kimber. Got a Ruger CMD that was replaced by Ruger, had to send the replacement back for repair, it is a good gun now but was not as good of the Kimber until repairs were made(had to file the front sight on it too). You usually get what you pay for. If you are lucky all you'll have to do is a little work on the trigger pull.

The price is a subjective matter. Would I spend that much for a Kimber? Personally no. I have only one experience with a Kimber, my friend's jammed up at least once per mag when he got it brand new. I do believe Kimber makes quality products, I've read numerous glowing reviews.

That being said, I've spent more than Kimber price on a Remington Rand 1911 and Smith and Wesson E Series 1911. I've matched Kimber price with my Springfield Armory 1911.

You truly do get what you paid for. While yes, a cheaper option may exist and it may function great, it will likely not have the same quality as the more expensive alternative. Be it in materials and longevity of the firearm or customer service.

I don't know what "dropping dimes" is, but I have owned a half dozen Kimbers within the last approx. 20 years. Mine were not over priced. One had a minor problem, the others were all good, boringly reliable, guns from Day 1. Unlike with some other major manufactuer's products, to include Colt, I've never had to send a Kimber back for any warranty work.

My first 1911 was a Kimber Custom II. Wouldn't feed most FMJ, or any HP. Seemed to like Fiocchi and S&B, and that was about it. Bought some Chip McCormick, Wilson, and Nighthawk mags to try in it, and no improvement. Started to research modern day Kimber and realized my mistake. I will say it was accurate, but obviously I was less than impressed with reliability and the fact that the black finish on the slide seemed to wipe right off when wiping it down.

Sold it to a buddy who wanted to tinker with it, and I went on to buy an SR1911, a Springfield Loaded, and a Springfield TRP. Good choices on my part.

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about it...

At this point it wouldn't make any sense to get rid of guns that you like and start with an unknown gun that might have problems.

There's usually always a cheaper alternative that has almost as good of quality. Just go get a Hi Point for $150 if you want the lowest cost option.

What is your "point of departure?"

"They are overpriced.""I could have bought 2 (fill in the blank with ur favorite manufacturer)."
Any thoughts?
Compared to what? Your post really isn't saying much. ........ :confused:

Mikef262
The price is a subjective matter. Would I spend that much for a Kimber? Personally no. I have only one experience with a Kimber, my friend's jammed up at least once per mag when he got it brand new. I do believe Kimber makes quality products, I've read numerous glowing reviews.

Be Safe !!!

Kimber, when they finally get back to full production in their new home, will ship more 1911s than all other manufacturers combined. There's a reason for that.

I own two Kimbers. I've compared them to other makes. The only full-size that made me envious was Les Baer - one heck of a nicely fitted pistol. I've not run across a commander-sized pistol that made my Stainless Pro Carry feel inferior.

I've learned that with the volume of pistols Kimber ships, the inherent design weaknesses of the 1911, new owners having near zero mechanical acumen, and finally easy access to forums where they can vent their frustrations - there are bad reviews. On top of that are the forum participants with no 1st-hand experience who regurgitate the negativity they read somewhere.

Kimber makes a good product at a good price point IMHO.

Maybe when guns run they drop dimes?:rolleyes:
I did have a nice Series 70 Gold Cup that shot no better than a Springfield Mil-spec 1911 I also owned.
Paid a lot for that Colt, it was a beautiful gun.

All guns are over priced right now and so is ammo. If I had the Kimbers in hand, I would be very happy with what I paid for them or else I wouldn't have purchased (notice I didn't say "picked up") them. Yes, I have had regrets for what I have paid but not many and my Kimbers isn't any of them.

My CarryII has been flawless for many years; only issues were feeding some reload with SWC that weren't seated deep enough; otherwise, no FTF or FTE

totaldla said:
Kimber, when they finally get back to full production in their new home, will ship more 1911s than all other manufacturers combined. There's a reason for that.

What is that reason?

I hear it is because they push their dealers hard for sales and have high profit deals when dealers come through.

Where as Colt or Dan Wesson make great guns with much slimmer margins and way less marketing.

If other makers could just learn that MIM + Marketing makes everybody happy…..well except the poor sap with a broken safety or some other bs. I’m not sur3 how they are today, but they used to fix them, but shipping was often on the owner and they put the same low quality parts in. Not sure today.

One thing is clear from fondling a bunch of $600-$2000 Kimber 1911’s….they are all the same mim parts, just sometimes the finish seems to be worth a lot more or something! Notice how Springfield puts better parts in the Custom shop pistols?? Kimber must just figure no need for better parts.

Nak, I’m gonna just go look at my Dan Wesson & Colts again.

That said, I think many, most work with many/most mags for the low round count most put through them.

totaldla said:
I find that statement to be extremely unlikely.

Please provide reliable statistics on how many 1911s are produced annually by ALL the other makers, and then explain how Kimber is going to outmanufacture and outsell ALL the others.

I find that statement to be extremely unlikely.

Please provide reliable statistics on how many 1911s are produced annually by ALL the other makers, and then explain how Kimber is going to outmanufacture and outsell ALL the others.
How about you simply do the work to get educated on the subject before posting?

The ATF provides sales data for all the manufacturers. Kimber has been the largest for nearly 20yrs. And until recently, Kimber only made 1911's.

totaldla said:

The ATF provides sales data for all the manufacturers. Kimber has been the largest for nearly 20yrs. And until recently, Kimber only made 1911's.
How about you reading the forum rules? When you make categorical statements, expect to be asked to back them up with facts and data. You made the statement -- it is your responsibility to back it up if questioned.

I didn't say that Kimber doesn't make a lot of 1911s. I didn't say that Kimber doesn't make the most 1911s of all the 1911 makers. YOU wrote:

Kimber, when they finally get back to full production in their new home, will ship more 1911s than all other manufacturers combined.

Since I periodically review the BATFE data, and since I attend the SHOT Show almost every year specifically to go around and talk to as many of the 1911 makers as I can hit, I have a pretty good idea of how many companies make 1911s. Some are mass producers, some are semi-custom gun builders, and some are strictly custom 1911 makers. They all make 1911s. Knowing how many there are, I don't accept that your statement is correct.

Wait, based on that last sentence, are you saying this is based off of total sales figures, and that Kimber sells more firearms than any other manufacturer? Even compared to S&W, Ruger, etc.?

Edit: Looking at the 2019 Annual Firearms Manufacturingand Export Report (hosted by the ATF here: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/report/2019-annual-firearms-manufacturers-and-export-report-afmer/download), I see the following

Pistols Manufactured in 2019 (all rows)
Kimber: 150,941
SIG Sauer: 692,326
Ruger: 536,426
S&W: 520,888
Colt: 29,022

Maybe Kimber does produce more 1911s than the others combined in sheer counts, as there is no breakdown of model (I'm aware there are also many other manufacturers of 1911s, and dedicated at that, I was looking for large volume producers, if someone wants to dive deeper be my guest). Worth noting, I couldn't find Springfield Armory in the report. I'm not sure if that's because they're privately held or what, but that would be interesting to know as many if not most of their pistols are likely 1911 style pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back