Kimber or Springfield question.

utvols

Between the two, in entry "custom" level models, not the high end stuff, what do you like? Would anyone rather have one of Colt's custom 1991a1's instead. Also, are Springfields still made in Brazil?

Kimber Custom Classic vs. Springfield Loaded Parkerized...

The biggest difference is that the Springfield comes standard with 3-dot tritium night sights at a price usually under $600. And the Springfield has wood grip panels.

I bought the Kimber for $650 in PRK right before the drop testing began when all anticipated that 1911's would be history. Well, both these pistols are available and I wish I just waited and got the Springfield.

My Custom Classic Kimber $650
Novak LoMount Tritium $120
Kimber Rosewood Grips $50
= $820

Springfield Loaded Parkerized $575
Novak-style 3-dot Tritium $0
Wood grips $0
= $575

Do yourself a favor and get the Springfield. So what if the frame is manufactured in Brazil by Imbel. Imbel makes FALs, too.

I don't have a Springfield Loaded, but a friend does and he likes it okay except that he had to send it back to the factory to have the front sight re-staked.
I have owned five different Kimbers and they are excellent guns, well worth the money. Just from my experience I would recommend the Kimber.

My vote is with Kimber

Having never owned a Springfield I can't say anything good or bad about them. I have 2 Kimber pistols: one, the Custom Shop Ultra CDP which I've had for about 3 months & shot 250 rounds thru, & the Stainless that I just picked up 2 days ago. (The Stainless is the Custom in all SS.)

Kimber is a few $$ more than a Springfield; I've come to understand most people think the extra $$ is well spent. My Ultra CDP has functioned well for the few hundred rounds I've put through it. (The only malfuctions have been premature slide lock with 1 type of ammo, Wolf hardball. All other loads, hardball & HP's, run without a hiccup). The fit & finish is excellent.

My new Stainless is fitted just as good. I've only managed 8 rounds thru it so far; they functioned flawlessly. (These were the Wolf cartridges that locked the slide back in my Ultra CDP.)

One thing you may want to keep in mind: The Kimber Custom has a carbon steel slide but the frame is blackened stainless. The Kimber Royal, which is a high polished blue, is all carbon steel.

From what I have read in the forums, many feel that the Kimber base pistols (Custom & Stainless) are the best deals available in a production 1911.

I just made the same choice myself last week. Picked up a 2001 Loaded in stainless. 125 rounds of 230 grain FMJ through it so far without a hiccup. Great trigger and very accurate. I liked the Kimber Classic a lot too and have shot one 2 or 3 times. Either gun will do you fine - Guess I just liked the slabbier looks of the Springfield a little more.

Springfield Loaded for my hand, just like the feel better.

Though I'm trying to talk my buddy into selling me his Combat Elite. :D

I own a couple of both. The Kimber is nicer in fit and finish, and shoots well. It does cost more then the Springfields and is made in the USA. The Springfield is still made in Brazil and also shoots well. The wood grips suck, mine all turned a dark brown to black and had to be replaced. The night sights are a big +. I would buy the one I like the best.

Skip a few burgers & save up for what you want. You'll treasure your choice longer. My wife blows throught $200 in a week and she is better than most!

I bought a Kimber Gold Match SS last week. (see above..)
I already polished the ramp and only have 75 rounds through it. I'm replacing the grips with Hogue rubber & putting away the pretty ones.

Local price was $1300, I paid $1050 from a nice guy / store in Texas. Email me if you want his info. Also got extra Chip McCormick mags, arrived today.

You may want to do a search, this is probably one of the most common threads on this forum.

Personally, I like Springfield. Their customer service is awesome.

myvote is for the Springfield. I have a Loaded model and it is very accurate. Dollar for Dollar, the Springfield is a better value.

Springfield is not "Made in Brazil"

First: Springfield is not made in Brazil. The basic forgings are Brazilian, but final manufacturing and assembly is performed in Illinois.

Second: I have a couple Springfields and a Kimber stainless Custom/Classic. All three are outstanding 1911A1s, but the best is the Springfield TRP . . . Out-of-the-box fit, finish, quality, reliability, durability, accuracy are all superb. By a narrow margin, I suggest Springfield, although both are fine handguns.

"Would anyone rather have one of Colt's custom 1991a1's instead." -- utvols

Absolutely not...the Colt is inferior to both.

You'll be well-served with the Kimber or the Springfield; my choice would be the Kimber Pro Carry because I like a little shorter slide.

Oh...by the way: Go Vols! :cool:

RWK,

Although I am on record voting for the Kimber, and stated I could say nothing good or bad about Springfield having never owned one, I think you might be comparing apples to oranges?

If you are, in fact, making a comparison. The Springfield TRP is one of that company's premier 1911 offerings, isn't it? I wouldn't think lining it up against a Classic Stainless, one of Kimber's most basic offerings, would not be a valid comparison.

Maybe that isn't the intent of your post - I might have read something into it that you didn't intend.

Kevinch,

To answer your questions:
1) The primary purpose of my earlier (3 May) post was to advise utvols that Springfields are not made in Brazil (see his original post to this thread).
2) You are correct; the TRP is toward Springfield's top-of-the-line. However, I also own a stainless Kimber full-size Custom/Classic and a stainless Springfield fill-size Loaded. These 1911A1s are certainly comparable, and I have found the Springfield to be marginally superior -- particularly in reliability.

Hope this answers your questions.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a SA "lightweight" Champion for $560.00. I was on kind of a budget so it was a good deal for me. It is one slick little pistol. I haven't put many rounds through it but initially I'm really impressed. Best, J. Parker

I don't think Kimber uses cast frames and slides. Their current site still contains the same statement as last year's:

"Frames, slides and barrels are machined from solid steel forgings on computer-controlled machining centers..."

http://www.kimberamerica.com

I need to go dig through a stack of gun magazines. One of them has a review of 3 Springfield pistols and some background on the manufacturing process. The mil-spec, loaded and the match model were reviewed, and IIRC, the rails on the two less expensive guns were cut in Brazil and the rails on the match model were cut in the U.S. I'll see if I can find it.

John

820RPM,
You forgot something on your prices list.

My Custom Classic Kimber $650
Novak LoMount Tritium $120
Kimber Rosewood Grips $50
= $820

Springfield Loaded Parkerized $575
Novak-style 3-dot Tritium $0
Wood grips $0
Meltdown Job $250
=$825

Yes, Springfields have a lot of sharp edges. Try to carry an unloaded Springfield Mexican style in your belt.

I must be the luckiest Colt owner on earth. Bought an early model Series 80 ten years ago for $400. Put over 70,000 rounds through it and no failures attributible to the weapon-just crummy handloads. Low sights the only thing I ever had trouble with, but they were good enough to take out a feral dog at 30 yards with a penlite for illumination.
Just bought a 1991A1 Custom for $525, which had a steel mainspring housing and a Videcki steel long trigger. I replaced the barrel bushing for something tighter fitting ($17 wilson) and at 500+rounds, no failures attributile to the weapon-again, crummy handloads. The old one never broke or loosened a part except for a new recoil spring every 10K round just for insurance, and a barrel bushing every 25,000 rounds. I see everyone running to SA and Kimber and raving about how flawless they are, and I won't knock them because I have yet to own one, but I have seen several new Kimbers FTF at the local IDPA matches here, but never a Colt or SA. Love the finish on the Kimber, but the front slide serrations have got to go!

Back