Kimber K6s Revolver -- First Impressions Video

I dont want to highjack from the OP. And great effort put into the opening post, btw. Very informative and thank you for that.

But I think this revolver is going to take away pretty much any market the Chiappa Rhino had. I mean the dimensions(height, weight, etc) are pretty close to the same. They're both six shot, 357's. This revolver doesnt have all the things the detractors seem to gripe about with the Rhino. The non conventional action, the looks, the company's no one's heard of, etc. The only market the Rhino has now is those that want something unusual.

Being a Rhino owner I would really like to shoot them side by side to get a good muzzle rise and recoil impulse comparision. And also compare same loads over a chrono.

But I do agree with most here, this revolver looks like a winner and I think it will sell.

"It has no external hammer to shroud."

I get that, but it sounds like they're going to offer other revos. A shrouded humpback would make me giddy.

I just handled one today at my local gun shop. Really nice. It didn't follow me home though. If Kimber ever makes one with a 3" barrel, I'll get one.

If I didn't already have a few guns that fill this niche, it would be in my possession now.

Interesting revolvers but they won't hold a flame to the new Colt's Cobra pistols. The fact that the Kimber doesn't wear the pony or is otherwise not a Colt's revolving pocket pistol of special caliber automatically makes it inferior to the Colt's.

I am going to say this then go into hiding :)

After shooting this a few times and carrying it with a Alien Gear Holster I am questioning if I want to keep any of my S&W 5 shot J frames.

I have a lot more training to do before I start to feel comfortable carrying it full time, but my J Frames may be going on the market.

I have enjoyed this revolver so much I made a video mini series comparing it with two different models of S&W 640. The S&W 640-1 Magnum edition and the S&W 640 Performance Center Paxton Quigley Edition only 250 of these were made.

I compared the trigger pull with the trigger pull guage, accuracy and perceived felt recoil and for fun no real science I shot them all across the chronograph with factory 38spl ammo.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFeAHQAVSIqitzh-sCDgZ-4kWX8hGdKEs

Last edited:
Was offered a chance to shoot one yesterday with full power, store bought ammo (SJSP). I was savvy enough to put on a glove first and am certainly glad I did. Barring loading ones own custom load in 357 cases, this gun is just another 38 masquerading as a 357. I gave the owner 6 of my Speer Short Barrel 357 carry rounds in exchange for ---HER--- purchased ammo. She had immediately gravitated to shooting 38 Special, or the gun would have just been no fun to shoot. She tried some of my medium 357 Mag loads of 7.0 BE-86/158 LSWC and liked that better.

I have to think the Colt makes more sense as 38 Special only. Versatility doesn't mean anything, if you never exploit it.

Recoil is very subjective and different for each of us due to so many factors I am to lazy to list here and honestly not sure that I even know all of them :)

For example I hate the recoil of the 454 Casull, it is just no fun for me, but the weirdest thing I can shoot 460 Magnum and it is much more enjoyable and it has nothing to do with the revolver as both cartridges were fired through the same 460XVR Xframe revolver.

Again for a guy my size with my hand size 357 in this revolver was nothing to me. Again I can see how that would be different for each of us, especially a lady with smaller hands.

I have shot mine with the mild for .357 magnum Gold Dot short barrel loads. It isn't painful at all. It does take more time for follow up shots compared to .38 special +p. I can fire four .38+p rounds in the time it takes me to fire three .357s. I haven't tried it with full house .357s.

I've been carrying the Kimber instead of my J frames and might sell my 642 but I'm keeping my 342. The Kimber is noticeably heavier than either the Airweight or the Airlight.

What aftermarket grip options are out there? I know about the Altamont boot grips but I'd like to have something for the Kimber like the Altamont Bateleur grip I have on the 342.

I just handled one today at my local gun shop. Really nice. It didn't follow me home though.
Checked with Cabela''s today, and they had both the deluxe model with wooden grips and the standard model.

Went to the store.

With six shots and a good trigger pull, it really outclasses the Model 642 with which someone departed last year.

It did come home with me.

The entry model.

I doubt that I will ever put a magnum load into it.

I see no need for 357's out of a snubbie but I am happy they are built for such a cartridge. I soft load 357 cases because the brass is thicker and I get no buildup in the cylinder chambers.

Those who compare the scarce Kimber to the unobtainable Colt leave me mystified. Most have even seen either gun and then assuming the Colt will be a super gun because is has a horse logo is just plain silly.

Those who compare the scarce Kimber to the unobtainable Colt leave me mystified. Most have even seen either gun and then assuming the Colt will be a super gun because is has a horse logo is just plain silly.

At least the Colt is not a 38 pretending to be suitable for 357 Magnum. What would be "silly" for me would be buying the Kimber for "versatility". It is a 38 that holds 6 rounds, just like the Colt.

Try some factory 357Magnum it does not hurt at all.
"Hurt" is not the issue.

When this gun comes out, the important things will be (1) speed of presentation and (2) how rapidly the gun can be fired without missing.

Shooting through plate glass or auto bodies will not be on the agenda.

I can see little or no reason for ever loading it with magnum rounds, and several reasons for not doing so.

Good guns but the new Colt's Cobra will probably be superior.
Pros and cons for each.

The Colt trigger pull is reportedly even lighter than that of the Kimber.

The Colt lock-up apparently works the same way as the old DS--which means that it will require servicing periodically.

The Kimber has rounded edges.

While some may prefer an unshrouded hammer, there are cogent reasons to bob it.

Either one will be superior to a J-Frame in terms of capacity and trigger pull weight.

Back