Kimber 1911's, What do you think?

For the money there are often better choices. At the 800-900 dollar range I shrug my shoulders, when you get to the 1200 plus range I stamp my feet for there are Dan Wesson and others out there that are clearly better choices when talking that kind of money.

Took a 1911 armorer class.. many a time the words " those with a kimber will note it does this here is how you fix it" were uttered.

As others have mentioned their external extractor did not help at all - saw a few of those that simply were a no go in terms of function.

Lastly do not be fooled by the "custom shop" stamp on a Kimber -- there is nothing custom about it and there is incredible little if any and fitting or tuning that goes into one -- it's a factory gun like any other.

Charlie_98 wrote:
I'm having a good laugh reading some of the comments here. I've owned 6 different 1911's... they are all gone except my 2 Kimbers.
I'm happy for you that you've had good results with your Kimbers. Nobody's saying "Kimber is garbage." They're saying Kimber's QC has been less-than-stellar for several years. That means some people, perhaps most, are going to get product that works well. Others not so much.

The problem, to my way of thinking, and the reason I think I'd be inclined to shy-away from Kimber, isn't so much their QC issues. As many have noted: Kimber probably sells as many 1911s as everybody else combined, so you're more likely to hear of problems with their products. No, the the thing that concerned me more was repeated reports of Kimber's responses to problems. Their CS doesn't seem particularly customer-friendly. Compare to Ruger, who traditionally bends over backwards for their customers (I've first-hand experience with that). Then consider most of Ruger's product line is considerably less expensive.

The Kimber story is simple.....they made a well finished 1911 with all the bells and whistles at a competitive price. They even started out with tight profit margins by using many quality parts. As their reputation strengthened, they started mim sourcing parts until now they are nearly 100% mim, except where non-mim is cheaper or the only safe option. Then they learned that by adding a couple of beavertail variations, sight variations and trigger variations combined with 100 finish options, that they could sell one design from $700-$2000.....yes, the $2000 Kimbers have the same junk parts!

Now, there is a positive side to this. Kimber really knows their one design. They have pretty good tuning and good factory mags....look like checkmate....this means that most Kimbers shoot pretty good and most are reliable...

From what I can tell, the problem is when one doesn’t run. Kimber can’t seem to figure it out. The parts cannot be recut as they are mim. Replacement parts may fix it, but may not. A gunsmith should be able to identify the root cause and fix it, but that might be all new internals swap and maybe some frame machining!

So you might say well, Colt and Springfield have these issues or all 1911 pistols have these issues....they do, but there are more people who know the Colt pattern and Springfield pattern...essentially they know the quick fix.

So, when you pick your Kimber, ask yourself, what am I really getting over buying the cheapest one? Over $1000, should I really buy a Dan Wesson!

I'm happy for you that you've had good results with your Kimbers. Nobody's saying "Kimber is garbage." They're saying Kimber's QC has been less-than-stellar for several years. That means some people, perhaps most, are going to get product that works well. Others not so much.

Not really... go back and read the comments prior to my post. There are some QC complaints, sure (and probably deserved,) but many of those comments are just silly, and they may not have used the word 'garbage' but you can read that into their comments. Everyone's experience is different because everyone's pistol is different. I mentioned my original 1911 was a Colt... I guess my Colt was what some people experienced with their Kimbers. I don't hate Colt for it, but I don't have that pistol anymore, for sure. However, I'm not a hater... if I was in the market for a new 1911 (and I will be later this year...) I'll surely look at a Colt, and probably Springfield, too, even though I had less than stellar experiences with both.

Someone here mentioned Ruger... I have had something like 7 Ruger single-actions... none of them have been worth the metal they were made from. I don't hate Ruger for it, but I won't buy another... sooooo, I guess Ruger is my 'Kimber.'

Last edited:
I have over twenty 1911's but no Kimbers, so I have no personal experience but I have always wondered how much of the $1000, give or take a couple of hundred, price tag goes to quality control and how much goes into those full page ads.

I have two kimbers. One is an original Clackamas custom in 45 acp, the other is a recent two tone custom in 9mm. Both run great and have good triggers so I have no complaints. One thing there are deals out there if you look. I got my 9mm kimber in the last year for $629 shipped at Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo. They have kimbers on sale a lot. They have the same two tone guns right now in 45 and 9mm for $629. Great price for a nice gun.
https://www.smga.com/kimber/custom-ii-twotone-9mm-2017-1342

I have the 10mm stainless target Long Slide model. It shoots great, and is reliable. The only hiccups it had traced back to ammo that also made 2 Glocks choke. It feeds, and fires my reloads with gusto, and has not failed. It even feeds, and fires factory .40 S&W ammo reliably.

I like mine. But, it is an older one, manufactured Sept ‘97, so I can’t really comment on the newer guns.

Only issue I’ve had/have is somewhat erratic ejection. My Hipower will make a nice pile of brass at about 4 o’clock, about 3 feet away. The Kimber, it throws them anywhere from 1 o’clock to 6 o’clock, usually 10-15 away. Nothing a little tuning of the extractor/ejector wouldn’t fix, but it’s shoots well as is, so I’ve never touched it.

Charlie_98 wrote:
... Everyone's experience is different because everyone's pistol is different. I mentioned my original 1911 was a Colt... I guess my Colt was what some people experienced with their Kimbers. I don't hate Colt for it, but I don't have that pistol anymore, for sure.
I think I can match that :)

Never mind Colt. I avoided both 1911s and .45 ACP for the better part of my life as a result of my first exposure to both being an Army 1911. Eventually I grew to like the .45 ACP and, recently, 1911s. Or at least the 1911 I have.

Charlie_98 wrote:
if I was in the market for a new 1911 (and I will be later this year...) I'll surely look at a Colt, and probably Springfield, too, even though I had less than stellar experiences with both.
You might consider the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced. I'm thoroughly pleased with mine.

Charlie_98 wrote:
Someone here mentioned Ruger... I have had something like 7 Ruger single-actions... none of them have been worth the metal they were made from.
See, now, I have two Ruger SAs: An old model Single Six Convertible and a new Lipsey's Blackhawk. They're both terrific.

OP, my experience with the two Kimbers was mixed. One had the slide stop/release break in two. The other one was ok. I contacted CS and they sent me a new slide stop/release in the mail within a few days. I sold them both. I've owned dozens of 1911-1911A1s over the years. I've had good and bad experiences with most brands. My favorite brand was Springfield Armory but after shooting a friend's Ruger I knew I had to have one. Otherwise I'd get another Springfield. I ended up with a Ruger SR1911 CMD. What a great pistol and it's a series 70 design. My only other remaining 1911A1 is an RIA FS. Another great gun for the money,in my case. YMMV. tom. :cool:

There are better values for the money. They are not horrible guns just way overpriced for the quality of the parts, fit and performance of the guns. The look nice but so do a lot of others in the same price range.

Someone here mentioned Ruger... I have had something like 7 Ruger single-actions... none of them have been worth the metal they were made from.

Can you tell us what that means to you? Can be here, in a PM or in another thread...but I need to know more to understand you Kimber comments...

I don't care for Kimber, never owed one but my buddies have. They all had a problem with them. Lots of money for a gun that has less then stellar performance IMHO.

I've owned a Kimber Pro Carry II since 2004, it convinced me that 1911's aren't junk. It gets carried often, it's a great shooter and I would buy another in a minute.

I have a few Kimbers all are obedient and do not misbehave-A Springfield EMP4-A Para Expert Carry-and A Ruger SR1911 that all also behave.I would not own Kimbers if they did not work-the price's on their 2 Tone models are right in line with a lot of the other middle of the road 1911's.

Last year I bought a very-slightly-used Kimber Pro Something. It is a basic fixed sight 1911 and I think I got my money's worth.

But it would not get through a magazine, any magazine, without locking open when NOT empty. Yes, I know, you are all blaming my support hand thumb. Not the problem. I was careful.

So I saw all the brass streaks on the MIM slide stop lever, where it made contact with the top cartridge in the magazine. The hardball bullets just sometimes pushed it up during all the excitement of recoil.

Since the MIM part has some nice detail visible, I chose to file the lever until it didn't touch the bullets. Oh, and that was cheaper than buying a new part.

Now it works fine and I like the pistol. I've had a Colt which shed a part and a Dan Wesson which would not work well at all (early CZ serial numbered one) and other 1911s so I am not a newbie to 1911s. I'm happy with the Kimber.

Bart Noir

My first 1911 was a Kimber, my second was a Sig. They didn't run well. On the various forums I noticed alot of recommendations for Dan Wesson 1911's.

Deleted original post...too negative....suffice it to say that very experienced friends, shooting new guns here on our home range had extensive problems and were not satisfied with Kimber's response. Rod

Last edited:
jmr40 said:
Several years ago Kimber went to an external extractor on their higher end versions. There is nothing wrong with an external extractor, my S&W 1911's use them.

That was almost 20 years ago.

Back