Key to surviving a gun fight

Clint Smith says; "if you look like food, you will be eaten."

Very true, some people, looking at the other side of that statement, give the impression, they are NOT food, and if eaten, or any attempt to eat, will not end in a good result, and predators let that fish swim by!

There are always more victims, letting one go is not a big deal.

The Movie where the brief case was lifted from the taxi (Collateral Damage) by three gang members, "Hey Homey" statement by Tom Cruise, started a sequence of actions, that ended in three dead gang members.

The small, slim man in a suit, was not seen as a threat.

The first clue, he was not frightened.

fear, prepared...

Thugs & street criminals want a "easy lick".
If you walk down the street pulling wads of cash out or act like you are scared you could be "profiled" by a thug or group of hoods.

The G security officer was PREPARED to deal with violent threats and used good tactics. Watch how he keeps moving, scans for threats & doesnt turn his back on the robbers.

The only minor point I'd add is that in a lethal force event, be ready for any attack or even a sudden counter-attack all around you. 360 degrees.

I got in the habit of looking around all over during any confrontations.
An armed security guard in metro Orlando was robbed in a business parking lot by 2 thugs a few years ago. The first robber calmly asked for directions, the other snuck up behind the G officer & pointed a gun at his head. That guy should have "watched his 6" ;). Another armed patrol officer in the Tampa area was shot dead(in the back/head) as he stood in a parking lot. He never drew his 9x19mm sidearm. :(

CF

The first clue, he was not frightened.

No, the first clue was that it was a fictional movie. I was surprised he didn't just kung-fu them, then take out the other 50 members of their gang when they tried to get revenge.

Correct, it was a movie, and movies follow a script, a Jamaican friend of mine has a saying, "If it don't go so, it nearly go so" covers a lot of situations.

Any violent confrontations, with firearms, or not, evolve/change so quick, it is normally impossible to predict outcomes, they just happen.

To me, it's all about mindset and being alert to my surroundings. Sometimes, that draw 1/2 second before the other guy clears leather is all it takes.
Done that and paused at 1/2 trigger pull because the bad guy froze and took off running. To be blunt and honest too, when things go south, it tends to be FAST! Very fast and sudden!
It's not really different than driving a car; If you're aware of all the traffic around you, you automatically swerve intot he empty lane without thinking when somebody runs a stop sign instead of just slamming the brakes and sliding into them.

It is very easy to sit at one's computer and Monday Morning Quarterback. The truth of the matter is that all the practice in the world will not tell you how you are going to react when the real thing happens. We can only hope the training kicks in for when the adrenaline starts pumping and the realization comes that someone is indeed trying to kill you, you better hope that you have prepared and have a game plan by playing the 'what if' game until you are dreaming about it.

I could not tell you how many actual gun battles I have been in while in Vietnam. I thought I was prepared but the first couple of times was a real challenge to maintain any type of cool, never mind figure out tactics. Repetition of basically the same stuff until it becomes as common as tying your shoelaces was survival in high gear. Still, you have to remain sharp, cool, and rehearsed or you may not survive and you had better hope if you have a partner, he/she has done their homework.

In the civilian world, I got caught in a gunfight without a gun. Only my tactics and ability to think under fire (thank you Vietnam) barely kept me alive until the Calvary arrived. Lesson learned: never be without a gun, in or out of your home.

There's a study, perhaps by Force Science, that found that within a few yards even untrained shooters can reliably hit the target. They could even make head shots. But when the distances moved out, the untrained failed to get good hits but the trained could.

Most DGUs are close up and we see what DNS was mentioning.

Boatman, YouTube.com; training levels....

The late Robert Boatman, a author & gun-tactics expert, stated in a YouTube clip that you(the armed citizen or licensed officer) will revert to your training in a critical incident.
Tunnel vision, loss of hearing, time-location distortion, etc are all common. Dealing with these factors quickly will improve your chances.

Training, training equals Autonomous (motor) skills, Movements are accurate, consistent, and efficient. Movement is largely controlled automatically, Little or no cognitive activity is required.

There's a study, perhaps by Force Science, that found that within a few yards even untrained shooters can reliably hit the target.

This can be reduced down to simply noting, "proximity negates skill."

Even a blind person can shoot and hit reliably with a contact shot. The closer you are, the less skill needed to hit your target. Sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control, weaver, isoceles, leaning into the shot, etc. all goes out the window when the muzzle is pressed against flesh and often when the aggressor is so close that even a dramatic disruption of the POA or intended POA (if not actually aimed by sight alignment) still results in an POI on the bad guy.

R&D, training....

Many years ago, I read a gun press item that covered the results of untrained-unskilled shooters.
The report stated that most untrained shooters aim high & to the right.
You can't expect a strung out robber or thug to be a expert with small arms but I wouldn't take the risk either. ;)
I recall a 1990s era school shooting where a young kid made headshots with 15 of the 17 incident victims! The boy later told police he NEVER fired any real guns prior the event but he played hours of first person shooter/gun related video games.

think about that

CF

Get behind something solid, hold your firing position, and give well placed shots in return! But most importantly try to avoid the situation as a whole.

Back