Kel-Tec P-32 vs. Tomcat?

ReserveCop

I'm looking into getting either the P-32 or a Tomcat as my back-up/pocket gun.

Which would you get and why?

Thanks for your opinions.

I love my K32 and it has been good right out of the box, but I have only tried S&B and Fiochi fmjs. I feel that I would need the penetration anyway. Check the KTOG board for all of the possible problems as well as endorsements from happy users. There have been a lot of knocks on the Tomcat, but some good comments, too. Every KelTec user on the board says to fluff and buff them to insure that they work. Some guns get sent back to Florida, but they have great service. Many report thousands of rounds with out problems. The company that makes the 35 grain 32ACP bullet @ 1400fps says that their P32 has shot something like 5,000 rounds w/o problems. A member posted their letter a while back. BTW: the 1400fps 35 gr bullets are something like 20 rounds for $30+.

Have experience with EARLY Tomcats, and I just bought the KT P32 yesterday.

I hated everything about the Tomcat, ESPECIALLY the trigger.... and it KICKED for such a heavy gun/small caliber. It stovepiped twice in 50 rounds too. It belonged to a shooting buddy of mine. He sold it back to the gunshop after our FIRST range trip.

The Kel-Tec is slimmer, lighter, holds one more round, has less recoil, and a MUCH better trigger. All that, along with 100% customer service, and I have to say Kel-Tec.

I'd go on, but I'm sure you'll have LOTS of posted reasons by this evening...

Tomcat

I have a Tomcat Two tone - Inox barrel, Powder finish aluminum frame and black (parkerized?) slide. Have put too many rounds through it - about 70 so far. But I like it. I can slip it in my pocket when I don't want to carry my .357 S&W M60 or my Ruger PK97DC .45 ACP. I think if you don't dry fire it, keep it clean and use only recommended ammo (nothing more than 130 ft/lbs of muzzle energy - Winchester Silvertips, for example) you should be fine. Maybe for backup, you could load some hotter CorBon or Fiocci rounds, but for range use,stick with what Beretta recommends.

It does kick a bit. And make sure your hand won't be struck by the sharp edge of the slide.

All in all, though, I like my Tomcat.

P-32 hands down. Lighter. No profile. Not ammo sensitive in my experience. Reliable, have had no feeding or ejection problems. Like the fact that they come with Mec-Gar mag.
They are selling like hot cakes! Slide does not take skin off my hand when firing.

Kel-Tec P-32 vs. Beretta Tomcat

As most of you know, I collect pocket pistols. I think the Tomcat (barely) qualifes as a pocket pistol. I like the looks and feel of the "wide-body" stainless model, but I'm waiting for the Titanium frame model which the gun rags say is "just around the corner".
However, I own a factory hard chromed K-T P-32 right now. It is one of the pistols which I have purchased that has required absolutely NO break-in. It has also fired EVERY type of ammo I've tried. ALL! It's now loaded with Magsafes and there's no problem there, either.
I didn't even do the famous "fluff and buff". Just lubed it up, and took it to the range. Mine is an accurate, soft shooting pistol. It's kind of amazing really. A 6.6 ounce pistol that is completely reliable. I know that there have been a few problems (very few!), but IMHO, Kel-Tec really got this one right! You won't believe how the "narrowness" (Is that a word?) of the P-32 affects your comfort level. Sometimes I carry mine in my sock!!
I do recommend that you get the hard chrome version. Being a pocket pistol, it's bound to get "sweaty" sometimes no matter where you hide it. (The chrome prevents rust.)

Kentucky Rifle

I must heartily ditto Ky's praise for the P-32. I bought one Sunday at a gunshow, went straight to the range (without stopping to lube) and fired 80 rds, mixing up old (real old) Remington ball, fairly old Silvertips and new S&B ball, with not so much as hiccup in feeding or ejecting. I was quite impressed with the accuracy, as well -- grouped in a 5" circle at 50 feet of fairly rapid two-hand firing (elbows resting on bench). Same with offhand at 25 feet. Grip is a little ruff on the palm, but no blistering. Am very pleased. Have retired Seecamp to the gun locker.

keltecmag.jpg

The P-32s have been out for the better part of a year.

Have you seen any P-32s available for sale used or on consignment at any gun shops? I haven't. But I've seen a couple of Tomcats, Guardians, and even three Seecamps for sale used in the past couple of weeks.

People are keeping and carrying them. With the lanyard, you can even wear it on your neck.

There are some quality issues requiring some fluffing and buffing but for a $250 gun, you gotta have one. When the Glock or HKs can't come, the P-32 is there.

Just don't get one of the fruity colored ones. Looks too much like a toy, if you have kids.

Actually, I was wanting one of the blue ones, figuring the less it looks like an evil gun, the less chance of someone freaking if they get a glimpse of it thru my carelessness. I got mine Sunday at a gunshow, where most of those on display had the blue frame. The table that offered the best deal -- $225 -- had only one gun, with an ivory frame. That also looks less lethal than the all-black ones. This is the kind of gun I'd prefer nobody knows about unless they're trying to kill me, and then not until it's too late, for them.

I hate to just echo the sentiments of everyone else, but I do have the advantage of having owned, fired and carried both of these pistols. The Kel-Tec wins hands down. Much easier to carry, and has more of a "real-gun" feel while shooting. The Tomcat is a fine weapon, but too wide and too heavy for pocket carry IMHO. The Kel is thinner, lighter, cheaper, just as accurate, more reliable, and will feed anything you can find in .32 ACP. Just my $1/50, for what its worth.

DanO

I looked at Tomcats several times when they first came out, and even made a special trip to a rental range to test fire one. I wasn't that impressed, and so I stuck with my Mustang Pocketlite in .380. The Mustang had less felt recoil in a lighter gun firing a more potent caliber.

The Keltec P32 came out, and we have two of them, his & hers. The light weight, flat profile, and locked breech design sold me. Oh, they've also been very reliable, even without doing massive amounts of polishing on them. I shouldn't have to say anything else. :)

Why I HATE my new P32

Frankly, after reading all the glowing comments on this board, I'm more than underwhelmed with the new P 32 I shot today. I think it has the most overblown reputation of any gun on this board, period. And yes, I fired it side by side with my WIDEBODY Tomcat.

1. HANDLING - the Kel-tec's lightness and thinness is simply too much of a good thing for me - even with small hands, I find I can't get enough purchase on the gun for comfortable shooting. In other words, the Kel-tec was a painful little kicker. It actually made me appreciate the chunkiness of the Beretta with a kind of awe. Additionally, the p32 had some annoying characteristics, such as not wanting to let its mag fall freely and the design inclusion of that stupid little part that holds the recoil spring in the slide. It just seemed cheap and cheesy even for a $250 gun. BTW, Tomcat's are only about $30 more here, and shops seem to have no shortage of Kel-tec 32's.

The Tomcat too is painful, but in an entirely different way. Its problem has more to do with some sharp edges biting my hand, but these I will resolve when I get the time to talk to a gunsmith. However, I'd still choose it as it kicks straight back with little muzzle flip, whereas the p32 is a flipper.

RECOIL - I'm sorry, but I can't see how anybody thinks the p32 kicks less than the Beretta even with it's vaunted "locked breech" setup, it's still just too light. After shooting it 15 times, my girlfriend had the shakes worse than Tom Hanks in "Saving Private Ryan". It kicked sharply and seemed to have a wicked sideways torque involved. It's characteristics would not lead me to ever practice much with it, as its whippiness took all the fun out of shooting today. I found myself going back to the Tomcat for a more pleasant experience, and it was cutting the flesh on the web of my hand, so that ought to tell you something.

RELIABILITY - Well, after reading on here how awful Tomcat reliability is, mine hasn't jammed yet with about 100 rounds through it. The P 32's reliability went south on the third magazine full, and I STILL haven't figured out the cause for its failure to both feed and eject correctly. Regardless, it couldn't make it through a full magazine without some malfunction. Looks like a trip back to Kel-tec is in order, just great. Prospective buyers should just add that onto the cost of the new gun I guess.

ACCURACY - Actually I was surprised by the accuracy of the little gun, but I think people who claim their p32 is more accurate than a Tomcat haven't ever shot their Tomcat. My TC is one-hole accurate a 30 feet, with the p32 getting palm-sized groups.

TRIGGER - The trigger on the p32 I shot was long, heavy, and stacked at the end. It also required pulling back almost all the way to the frame before firing. In short, accuracy was achieved by conscious attempts to overcome its crappiness. People who badmouth the Tomcat haven't shot THIS p32 yet. My Tomcat's trigger is excellent in comparison (to dispute another unfounded rumor on here).

SIZE - the p32 wins. But to be honest, I don't have a problem hiding my supposedly-unconcealable Tomcat in my pocket in the first place. What gives with all you who can't?

SUMMARY - The p32 is ok but I will bet my life on the Tomcat, which ain't perfect but it's head and shoulders better. If I were looking to carry a 32 in an ankle rig, the p32 would be it. Other than that, too small and unreliable to fool with.

I sincerely hope all p32's are not like the one I tested, which sadly is my girlfriend's first centerfire gun and also the worst gun I have personally ever shot.

This is the last time I will EVER believe anything I read on one of these boards.

Sigh.

Sorry, didn't mean that, just steamed because someone I love got a crappy gun based on the advice of people on this board.

I am very pleased with my P32 and would highly recommend it. Understand that it is a mousegun with all their inherent weaknesses and strengths. It is my "always" pistol as it is never hard to conceal. Of course only a Vet could love OD green... :D

bM63570.jpg

[Edited by Runner on 03-11-2001 at 05:36 PM]

"In other words, the Kel-tec was a painful little kicker. "

You've got to be kidding. I shoot this gun at the same time I'm shooting my glock 29 or 33, Kahr MK9 and others.

It feels like I'm shooting a BB gun, the recoil is so light. If you're sensitive to this gun's recoil, don't ever shoot a 44 magnum.

Have had a Tomcat for around 3 years, hundreds of rounds through it, no problems at all. The trigger does take some getting used to. Find it very accurate. Have no experience with the P-32. My .02.

I had two Tomcats -- the first was replaced under warranty.

Mine were very accurate, but a little harsh on the hand -- with more snap/bite than I expected from a .32 acp.

Mine kept breaking: firing pins, mostly (but also a trigger return spring). And yes, I used snap caps. Neither of mine had a good trigger until I had put more than a 1000 rounds through them.

After getting my second gun back from Beretta, I went to the range. During one mag, the slide locked back, off track, and it took a rubber mallet to get it forward and back on track. That killed it for me. (I may have hit the barrel release lever while shooting, which allowed it to come off track.)

I cleaned it up, traded it in on a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm). The Kel-Tec P-11 was narrower, an inch longer, about an inch higher,and carried 10+1 rounds of 9mm. It was just as accurate, but a little harder to shoot well. (I've since upgraded from the P-11, but that's a different story.)

I know of at least 5 Tomcats that had bad failures. The only folks I know who like them have hardly shot them -- 100 rounds, for example, doesn't even break the gun in well.

The P-32 is a locked-breech design. That doesn't necessarily mean less recoil, but it DOES mean you can shoot +P ammo, if you can find it. That is an important difference.

When I sent my first Tomcat back to Beretta for repairs, they kept it for 3 months, and didn't tell me diddle the whole time. If you need service from Kel-Tec, you'll get it quickly, and the gun will probably be back in your hands within 10 days.

LUCKY 085, READ THIS

QUOTE "

"In other words, the Kel-tec was a painful little
kicker. "

You've got to be kidding. I shoot this gun at
the same time I'm shooting my glock 29 or 33,
Kahr MK9 and others.

It feels like I'm shooting a BB gun, the recoil is so light. If you're sensitive to this gun's recoil, don't ever shoot a 44 magnum."

My girlfriend is sitting here laughing her a$$ off at your BB gun analogy. She wants you to know that the p32 kicks more like my alloy 38 snubby.

BTW, she also thinks you are completely full of crap because she HAS fired my .44 magnum ...

A BB gun! Sure!

One additional point I will add is that the Kel-tec manual warns against:
1) +p ammo
2) dry firing
Both are frequent prohibitions with the Tomcat, just FYI.

Grapeshot,

While I want to call you a heathen (isn't the P32 following like a religion?), I really appreciate the insights. "Where all agree, all but one are redundant." I love my little P32, particularly since it conceals comfortably in my tight jeans (try that with your Tomcat).

I really like Berettas, just chunky and not without fault. Given that, I'm going for the gun I will carry 100% of the time. That is a P32 (reliable out of the box for me).

Back