Kel-Tec KSG: have you bought one?

If the gun is really for home defense, and not just the cool factor, it has to be dependable. Look around at posts by the few who have actually received a KSG and decide if it is more dependable than a time tested pump like the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. For that matter, include the Maverick and the Chinese clones.

I know the initial lot had problems with the elevator or something, but it seemed an easy fix and haven't heard of any other systemic problems. Haven't been scouring the internet though.
Kel-tec is concentrating resources on guns most likely to be banned. I imagine it will be years before these come down to the point I can consider them.

I'll stick with my Browning A5 old model plans.

I was SO close to getting one. Dealer quoted me a $900ish price, then said it would be a 15 month wait. Totally killed it for me.

For home defense, though, it would definitely be my first choice for a shotgun. I actually like the looks and wouldn't consider anything but a bullpup for a HD shotgun in my small apartment. I looked at an 870 conversion, but it wasn't much cheaper and is 10x uglier. The UTS looks decent, but have heard nothing but bad reviews on it.

So, until the KSG becomes more available, my USP40 will suffice for my HD needs.

Just tested mine last week... work great but kick like hell with slugs!

Had just to make a little adjustment on the magpul mbus that I put on it and was dead center on target. Take a little while to get used to with the mag tube selector and the shortness of this lil' thing.

Would buy again ;)

Great little gun

I got mine a couple months ago. Agree it kicks a bit hard so next range session I will likely slip on a limbsaver pad. As for HD it's fantastic that it's so short but still a shoulder fired weapon not a pistol grip. When I get a chance I'll get a side by side with my serbu and a pistol grip 590 for comparison. For now a mediocre cell phone pic...

b2745f47-8748-43d9-88d5-4bc3b547486e_zps2183d2bc.jpg

Pictures for scale

Pics are the KSG mossber 590A1 and Serbu Shorty (class III weapon)

Second one is just the mossberg and the KSG with stocks lined up for overall length comparison

photo_zps91f78b47.jpg

photo_zpsb8a81d37.jpg

I would only buy one if it was under $700 and worked reliably.

From what I've seen on videos and review, its about 50% unreliable -- as with many other Keltec handguns.

TXAZ Thanks Coach. Have you used it? Would you buy another?

I have and I would, the only issue I can see is if you don't rack it with some authority it will not free a new shell to be loaded into the chamber.

Justice06RR I would only buy one if it was under $700 and worked reliably.

From what I've seen on videos and review, its about 50% unreliable -- as with many other Keltec handguns.

Good luck finding one in the next few years below MSRP. My experience with this and with other keltec weapons has been outstanding. (I own a couple other unicorns the SUB 2000 in FDE as well as the PMR)

Back