Keeping a Reloading log/journal... advice to new (and old) reloaders.

I've had and kept a Reloading Log Book since I began reloading in 1986.
It is a valuable resource.
I would advise anyone starting to reload to do the same.

From my iPhone, it takes 2 seconds to retrieve every load I’ve assembled since 1995. And I can sort or search those loads using any criteria I choose. Additionally, ammunition is stored in dozens of ammo cans which are barcoded. Simply scan a can with the phone and it tells me the caliber, type, brand, weight and quantity of every cartridge contained within. Same goes for bullets, primers, powder etc. Even my trips to the range are databased. Most importantly, data backups are encrypted locally and in the cloud. Syncing between different iOS devices is completely seamless.
I can’t imagine having to use Excel again. But the option of exporting my data in either XLS, ODS or CSV format only requires 3 clicks. If a printed hard copy is desired, no problem at all.
I realize that’s there some folks that still use notebooks and may not even own a smartphone...so whatever works best for you is what you should use.

From my iPhone, ... I realize that’s there some folks that still use notebooks and may not even own a smartphone...so whatever works best for you is what you should use.
Yep. For me, exact opposite... I can't wait to retire and not have to carry my i-phone around. Only reason I have one is because of 'on-call' for work and it was required (at least they bought it are are paying for the 'service'). No 'cloud' storage for my family ever. Not going to be 'tied' to the internet or a particular vendor and have my life revolve around it. All our data is 'local' and a backup or two stored off-site just in case of fire/theft. Internet backbone and cell service could crash today, and it would be ho-hum no big deal. Ironic really as I am a CS major and worked with computers all my working life...

I have an Excel spreadsheet named CHRONO1. It is my 2nd version of CHRONO after I added PF and Energy about 20 years ago. CHRONO includes some historical data from my original notebooks as well. The two combined account for about 900K rounds loaded over 38 years.

Each caliber has a sheet. Within each sheet, the firearm used is in the first column. Round counts for the firearms are included as well as environmental conditions for the various loads, and of course load data. Yes, as the name implies, every load, as worked up is Chrono graphed. Group sizes, distance, etc. is included. Graphs are included for the Satterlee 10 shot load development method and in some cases, graphs are also used to illustrate trends during load development.

I have a sheet labeled "Archive" as well which includes calibers I used to have.

RiOb9JNm.png

I label all my boxes and enter the data in a separate journal. Take notes out at the range and then when I get back home.

Thanks for all the ideas and reminders. I am relatively new at this, and I now realize I need to do better at recording loads and labeling boxes, especially now that I am reloading for several calibers. I have kept some data in a spiral notebook, but my slips of papers and labels tend to get lost, so getting more organized and disciplined should keep me from looking things up again and again, and keeping me safe too.

I plan to start recording all of this, and keep it in a bound notebook, in chapters (tabbed) by caliber. I do not have a chrono, and do not plan to get one. I mainly just load for fun and plinking / some hunting. I do keep track of which loads work best for which gun, so that is really my goal. I also like the idea of assigning lot numbers to loads, and I think I will start recording that in my notebook and on the boxes.

This whole thread has been very helpful. Thanks!!!

MarkCO makes a good point.

When I was new to reloading I had a 3 ring binder with tab separators to keep up with the different calibers. Most of my initial data was my dad's pet loads. I kept it for 20 years and lost it in a move. I recreated it with a spreadsheet. It started off as a Lotus 123 sheet and I converted it to Excel sometime before 2000. I have notes on many various conditions as well as what does not work including pet loads for certain guns.

MarkCO said:
A chrono is the very best tool a reloader can own.

This is gospel ! I've learned a LOT of how velocities correlate to consistency and lack of. It's also an invaluable tool when you want to embark on testing "off the chart" loads such as subsonic rifle , testing smokeless powders in straight wall cartridges that were designed more towards black powder, and lastly testing mid range black powder loads to gain accurate distance come-ups.

Back