Keeping a Reloading log/journal... advice to new (and old) reloaders.

5whiskey

I know this has been covered numerous times on TFL, but I haven’t seen any recent reference to it and I know that there are literally tens of thousands of people researching reloading right now, and some may join this site. If you are new (or old), take this advice... KEEP A RELOADING JOURNAL OR LOG!

When I first started reloading, I took notes but they were scribbled here and there in a spiral notebook. I was not meticulous by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly when I started I only had a few powders, only reloaded for a few calibers, and a couple of scribbled notes here and there helped me to remember load info. As I was rather flippant on how I kept notes, I would often lose them. No worries I thought, I remember this by heart I’ve loaded a couple thousand of these.

Of course now I reload for a dozen or more calibers and have different loads for each. I form brass from parent cartridges, cast my own projectiles, and have firearms that have special loading considerations. It’s obvious that I need to keep a loading log now.

What’s not obvious is at what point between loading for 2 or 3 calibers and my current situation requires a dedicated logbook to keep up with it all. The answer is easy... when you load your very first round! You may grow, your tastes change, cartridges and loads fall out of favor only to come back into favor later. Keep a detailed journal!!!

A quick anecdotal story of why this is Important... I started out loading 9mm, .270, .223, .38spc, and .357 mag. I only had one revolver that was a .357, and honestly the only reason I loaded .38 ever is because I had a decent bit of brass for it, a limited amount of .357 brass, there was no special equipment or components I needed to buy to load .38. As they were being shot out of a .357 revolver, and I vowed never to share had loads, I apparently had no issues loading .38 to +p+ levels. Which is plenty of safe in a .357 revolver.

I haven’t shot .38spc probably in 6 or 7 years until recently. I probably haven’t loaded any in almost 10 years. I recently bought a pre model 10 S&W and I’m selling my .357 security six. I loaded some rounds for it the other day and took it to the range. I also had a handful of old .38 rounds I loaded. I didn’t recall ever loading .38s wild or crazy, and didn’t think anything of shooting them. For kicks I also took my .357 as I also had some .357 loaded. My new loads in the old S&W shot great, printing 4 or 5 cylinders into a fist sized group at 10 yards. When I shot those up, I slapped in 6 of my old loads and pulled the trigger...

Now I didn’t blow my gun, or maim anyone or anything. But it could have been bad. My old .38 rounds were much stouter than my new loads. Much stouter. And my new load was loaded to mild +p (like .3 grains over standard .38). They were full house .38 loads, but still a pleasure to shoot with recoil as it should be for .38 out of a K frame. My old load... all I will say is one round down range instantly told me to pull those bullets. I did eventually pull them, and the charge weight was about 10% in excess of +p max loads. I would have probably known this had I kept detailed and accurate notes in a reloading log back when I loaded them. But I did not.

Moral or the story... keep a reloading log. I made a nice leather bound book a few years ago to keep all of my notes in. I did so to kind of force me into actually using it. I was haphazard with the spiral bound notebook, but I’m pretty meticulous with my leather bound loading journal. Using it has helped me identify problems. And identify lots to watch out for. I had a problem with my powder measure bridging a couple of times, and had loaded a ton of rounds in 3 different lots. When I first started shooting them, I had a squib. So I knew to be on the lookout for squib loads in the later lots, and any new lots loaded had a powder check as a safety feature. It comes in handy for all types of things. Use a reloading journal!

Last edited:
When I’m working up loads I put all pertinent info on pieces of masking tape and stick it to the shell box. Then I write all info on the test targets and staple them together. Once I determine the load I usually load up anywhere from 500-1000 and keep them in shoebox size clear plastic bins with labels on them containing all info. This is for all handgun ammo and plinking ammo for rifles. For my more serious rifle stuff I just have dedicated ammo boxes with labels on the lids with all data on them and load them in smaller batches of 50 at a time.

I was asking about a load combination on another thread.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6850356#post6850356

Some of my personal loading data dates back to the 1970s, as do some of my loading manuals.

But someone pointed out the following:

I strongly recommend you ignore 1979 data. Since that time, powder burn rates have become more tightly controlled and that old data can have been developed with a slower lot than you can buy now. Additionally, that old data was developed in production guns relying on pressure signs and was not normally measured in a pressure gun. That means it was sometimes developed in relatively loose chambers that lowered pressure or with brass or primers that were thicker than current production and did not show pressure signs at the same pressures as modern ones do. It should be considered obsolete data and a historical curiosity, but not as reliable.

Good advice.

I know this has been covered numerous times on TFL, but I haven’t seen any recent reference to it and I know that there are literally tens of thousands of people researching reloading right now, and some may join this site. If you are new (or old), take this advice... KEEP A RELOADING JOURNAL OR LOG!

When I first started reloading, I took notes but they were scribbled here and there in a spiral notebook. I was not meticulous by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly when I started I only had a few powders, only reloaded for a few calibers, and a couple of scribbled notes here and there helped me to remember load info. As I was rather flippant on how I kept notes, I would often lose them. No worries I thought, I remember this by heart I’ve loaded a couple thousand of these.

Of course now I reload for a dozen or more calibers and have different loads for each. I form brass from parent cartridges, cast my own projectiles, and have firearms that have special loading considerations. It’s obvious that I need to keep a loading log now.

What’s not obvious is at what point between loading for 2 or 3 calibers and my current situation requires a dedicated logbook to keep up with it all. The answer is easy... when you load your very first round! You may grow, your tastes change, cartridges and loads fall out of favor only to come back into favor later. Keep a detailed journal!!!

A quick anecdotal story of why this is Important... I started out loading 9mm, .270, .223, .38spc, and .357 mag. I only had one revolver that was a .357, and honestly the only reason I loaded .38 ever is because I had a decent bit of brass for it, a limited amount of .357 brass, there was no special equipment or components I needed to buy to load .38. As they were being shot out of a .357 revolver, and I vowed never to share had loads, I apparently had no issues loading .38 to +p+ levels. Which is plenty of safe in a .357 revolver.

I haven’t shot .38spc probably in 6 or 7 years until recently. I probably haven’t loaded any in almost 10 years. I recently bought a pre model 10 S&W and I’m selling my .357 security six. I loaded some rounds for it the other day and took it to the range. I also had a handful of old .38 rounds I loaded. I didn’t recall ever loading .38s wild or crazy, and didn’t think anything of shooting them. For kicks I also took my .357 as I also had some .357 loaded. My new loads in the old S&W shot great, printing 4 or 5 cylinders into a fist sized group at 10 yards. When I shot those up, I slapped in 6 of my old loads and pulled the trigger...

Now I didn’t blow my gun, or maim anyone or anything. But it could have been bad. My old .38 rounds were much stouter than my new loads. Much stouter. And my new load was loaded to mild +p (like .3 grains over standard .38). They were full house .38 loads, but still a pleasure to shoot with recoil as it should be for .38 out of a K frame. My old load... all I will say is one round down range instantly told me to pull those bullets. I did eventually pull them, and the charge weight was about 10% in excess of +p max loads. I would have probably known this had I kept detailed and accurate notes in a reloading log back when I loaded them. But I did not.

Moral or the story... keep a reloading log. I made a nice leather bound book a few years ago to keep all of my notes in. I did so to kind of force me into actually using it. I was haphazard with the spiral bound notebook, but I’m pretty meticulous with my leather bound loading journal. Using it has helped me identify problems. And identify lots to watch out for. I had a problem with my powder measure bridging a couple of times, and had loaded a ton of rounds in 3 different lots. When I first started shooting them, I had a squib. So I knew to be on the lookout for squib loads in the later lots, and any new lots loaded had a powder check as a safety feature. It comes in handy for all types of things. Use a reloading journal!
Good advice. But I've always labeled my ammunition boxes with the load and whether it's a hot, medium, or light load. Keeps me out of trouble.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Good advice. But I've always labeled my ammunition boxes with the load and whether it's a hot, medium, or light load. Keeps me out of trouble.

My ammo boxes have the powder charge, primer, bullet and date they were reloaded on them. Sometimes I list the number of times the brass has been reloaded. Still don't tell me what my journal does. In my journal I leave space between entries so I can come back after shooting a load and leave some remarks as to how they performed, good or poorly. Looking back thru the journal I see patterns of loads I have made over they years and this tells me what works well for me and what doesn't. This relates not only to powder charge, but to the components used as well. It also gives me a reference to how many rounds I have loaded over the years. We all think we'll remember what we did and what we used, but we don't.

Last edited:
My ammo boxes have the powder charge, primer, bullet and date they were reloaded on them. Sometimes I list the number of times the brass has been reloaded. Still don't tell me what my journal does. In my journal I leave space between entries so I can come back after shooting a load and leave some remarks as to how they performed, good or poorly. Looking back thru the journal I see patterns of loads I have made over they years and this tell me what works well for me and what doesn't. This relates not only to powder charge, but to the components used as well. It also gives me a reference to how many rounds I have loaded over the years. We all think we'll remember what we did and what we sued, but we don't.

Have to agree. I have a “load notes” and “shooting notes” section for each lot I load, so I leave space to come back and write in shooting performance. I also write down any problems I encounter, and solutions to those problems. One main reason for me is if my kids ever get into reloading they can hopefully have a little more info to go on once I’m dead and gone.

In addition to the actual load data in the box I will add a comment like "Mild" "Mid-range" "+p", "For Contender only" or similar because I may not remember that Powder X with a YYY grain bullet is hot or not.

And some cartridges like 45 Colt I just don't load any of the "Ruger Only" loads so there isn't a chance of damaging the 120 year old Colt. So the Ruger gets mild loads, if I want magnum performance there are other cartridges for that.

Use Excell

Learn to use excell spread sheets. You can add columns and rows, cut and past columns or rows and do calculations. I like to record caliber, bullet weight and type, powder type and charge, primer used, length, average speed, standard deviation and extreme spread. A really good combination in 45 may give you an extreme spread under 20 and a standard deviation around 7. If you can keep your loads so that the standard deviation is less than 1 percent of the average velocity you are doing good. If you don't have a chronograph to gather data, all you can really say is Yep, it shoots good. No pressure sign. It's pretty meaningless when developing a load. When you can get standard deviation for each load you can start picking and choosing which combinations work best.

I always label my ammo, whether it is test loads or final loads. I keep all my data in excell spreadsheets from tests loads, and a sheet for final loads with notes.

I’ve had a reloading log book for 40 years. In the book are results from all powder charges in each workup for each rifle I’ve owned. I can see what worked and what was close. Tomorrow I need to look in the book to see what load I used for a BAR in 270, back when I owned it.

And, all MTM ammo boxes have the load data for the rounds within.

I started my log data record keeping with a notebook. Then I started using an XL sheet as it's more adaptable as rc points out, but also to compliment the hardcopy and at the same time have the data more readily accessible. Finally, I'm using only XL which is an excellent platform for data keeping, but I do still periodically print out a hardcopy in case the lights ever go out.

Learn to use excell spread sheets. You can add columns and rows, cut and past columns or rows and do calculations. I like to record caliber, bullet weight and type, powder type and charge, primer used, length, average speed, standard deviation and extreme spread. A really good combination in 45 may give you an extreme spread under 20 and a standard deviation around 7. If you can keep your loads so that the standard deviation is less than 1 percent of the average velocity you are doing good. If you don't have a chronograph to gather data, all you can really say is Yep, it shoots good. No pressure sign. It's pretty meaningless when developing a load. When you can get standard deviation for each load you can start picking and choosing which combinations work best.

If your serious about repeatability you need to be serious about capturing reference data, plain and simple. Doesn't matter weather your "old skool" or "new skool" just have something. I'm using Excel. With 1007 logged test sessions I can quickly search for a specific load using a multitude of specific search criteria's . You can't do this with handwritten notes. However like everything electronic data has loss of data risks where as handwritten notes are more secure (barring a flood or fire).

I use the same spread sheet and just copy and paste headings for each caliber and as needed on expanding pages of data.

I sort smallest caliber to largest caliber so it's easy to find data. Once you find a good combination you'll keep with it till that powder runs out.

I too use an excel spreadsheet for each firearm.
It has tabs for case size measurements, sight notes, loadings and trajectory graph.

On the loading tab, 1st column reads:
Date loaded
Date fired
Temp.
Rifle
Barrel
Case
Fired
Primer
Bullet
COL
Crimp
Powder
Weight
Vel 1
Vel 2
Vel 3
Vel 4
Vel 5
Avg
SD
Coef
X Spread
Primer
Ring
Inc/gr

I wasn’t trying to imply that excel or another electronic means couldn’t be used instead of a physical book. Just that to keep a form of log or journal is important. I completely agree that there are significant advantages to using excel. I probably should use it myself, however I made a nice journal and I enjoy using it.

Have a log book for each caliber. However regretfully neglected to enter the date and temp on some. Aside from what others have detailed, if am using a special procedure/tool to assemble the load, it is noted. Also noted for some of the accurate rifles is shooting position/technique/suppressed or not and more details on the rounds prep. Some have the targets included, if paper.

Like others, highly recommend it. Especially with fading memory and/or help others with load suggestions/questions.

I second the Excel spreadsheet idea. I only reload .243 so far, but every batch of ammo loaded has a batch number assigned and all the details recorded in the spreadsheet (powder type and charge weight; bullet brand, design and weight; seating depth, yada yada yada). Each box of ammo has the batch number on it as well as some of the main data so I can go back and match it to the big data set.

There's a separate space off to the side on each tab that lists the CBTO measurement to reach the lands and other cartridge measurements that are constant for that bullet, and an area where I list the starting and max loads for the powders I use as listed in as many sources as I can find. I keep a separate tab for each bullet.

I wasn’t trying to imply that excel or another electronic means couldn’t be used instead of a physical book. Just that to keep a form of log or journal is important. I completely agree that there are significant advantages to using excel. I probably should use it myself, however I made a nice journal and I enjoy using it.
I'm a "write it down" kinda guy. Excel is great and all. For me, I'm a kinesthetic learner and need to physically write things down for it to stick.

Or LibreOffice Calc instead of M$ Excel. Any spreadsheet will work. That is where I keep my final load data also. I don't keep a 'journal'. Just the load results over the chronograph and how it shot. Of course while I am shooting the tests, the data is all written to a notebook (paper/pencil). Then when I get home it is all computed (find average, SD, ES) and then my master spreadsheet is updated with results.

All the 100 round plastic storage boxes are labelled with standard info: date, caliber, powder, bullet, primer, case brand, and how many times the cases have been reloaded.

For example the attached file just shows a sample of my master spreadsheet:
This is part of .45 Colt section for True Blue:
powder, bullet, primer, Average Velocity, SD, ES, sample size, barrel length, and any comments.

Everyone has there own system.... This happens to be mine!

Attachments

• loadsSnip.png
    loadsSnip.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I don't bother with writing "mild" , "mid" or "++p+++++" I label my ammo with the date, bullet , powder , charge , if required the specific gun the load is intended for , and most importantly my measured velocity. If i'm unclear on something about the load , I just do a quick search in Excel , and the specific details are right there.

Back