Keeping a "nice" rifle....nice

I bought a new M70 in 1980. Two weeks later I went hunting with it and was being ever so careful with my new rifle. Then I managed to fall down while negotiating a very steep hillside. After that I ceased to worry about what it looked like....

If you are really concerned about the looks of the rifle, don't take it hunting until you change out the stock for one that you can't hurt.

I guess I really asked the wrong question, although I believe some posters have provided the answer I was looking for. I should have asked about when the inevitible happens and it gets marked up, what do y'all do to buff it out? I think the wax sounds like a good idea.

I have two rifles that I would rather not mark up, so they're primarily nice weather range rifles that I'll take to a ground stand, but most of my hunting rifles are wood (I have only the T/C venture that's synthetic), and they do get scratched from time to time. Just like most of you, I think of them as character marks. Still, after the season is over I would like to do something to clean 'em up a bit.

so are your stocks mostly oil finished or something that builds up ( thicker ) like Tung oil or urethane, or ???

my new Winchester JOC, has a light oil finish... I think that would show marks less, & you could possibly "steam" out big dents like they do to old milsurps...

my Remington 700's have a deeper finish, & I'd like to know if those can be touched up, or if those rifles are doomed to live a scared life ???

Back