Keeping a "nice" rifle....nice

Tom68

By "nice" I mean >$700 but not necessarily in the Kimber, or Cooper, or custom range... But just a good rifle with a pleasant wood stock.

Specifically, I'm talking about my Winchester M70 Featherweight that I got last year. I'm nearly finished with my second deer season with it, and I bought it last year intending it to be my primary rifle for the rest of my life (and hopefully we're talking decades here... I'm only 45). I have several other deer rifles, but this is my go-to gun, and it's been to the woods a good bit. As such, the walnut stock is quickly getting some character to it... which is completely expected. Climbing stands, 4 wheeler rides, and being laid down on the tailgate will do that. I don't intend to stop using it... I'm just wondering what I should be doing to keep the stock looking as good as a working rifle can be?

What do y'all do to keep a walnut stock looking its best while still using it for it's intended purpose? I know the character will continue to grow... And that's part of it... But what's best to avoid neglect? I use a silicon cloth on it but wondering if oiling is needed from time to time as well.

I switched to a plastic stock for mine- The wood furniture is stored away, nice and safe. I can beat the hell out of the rifle in the woods without worry...

After shooting, disassemble and clean thoroughly.

Every year oil the stock and bore, inside and out.

Keep in a safe out of the sunlight to protect the
finish and to keep it out of the wrong hands.

Nothing magic, just keep it simple!

I haven't hunted with a wood stocked bolt rifle since 1982. I ordered my 1st Brown Precision then and haven't looked back. Quality synthetics made by Brown, McMillan and others are roughly 1/2 lb lighter, much tougher, and are unaffected by weather. I got tired of having to re zero every few months as the weather changed and I no longer worry about babying the stock.

On the other hand I personally like the looks of a well used, not abused, rifle. The dings, dents, worn blue and other character marks are part of it. I'd rather see that than a 10 year old safe queen that has never been used.

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is a good idea. Don't oil it. It isn't needed and could in fact harm the wood by soaking into the pores and making it weaker. This is a common problem with a lot of older doubles that were over oiled and stored muzzle up. The excess oil drains down into the stock and ruins it over time. Just keep it clean.

Stop laying it on the tailgate. I baby the heck out of mine (same rifle) and it looks like it just came off the dealer's rack and I have hunted w/ it since 1996. When it isn't in my hands it is in a case. Casing it will go a long way toward preservation.

With all due respect:

Don't lay any firearm "on the tailgate"...........

Don't (never) lean any firearm against a vehicle......

Don't (never) climb or descend to/from any treestand with the firearm in hand - use a long paracord to raise/lower the firearm after ensuring it's unloaded.

Don't (never) use a firearm to part brush with while walking/stalking.

Don't (never) use a firearm as a stream or slope crossing aid/crutch.

Do encase (soft) any rifle/shotgun B 4 carrying it on an ATV in a forked rack w/retainer strap.

Do coat the metal & wood with an unbuffed coat of paste wax prior to any hunting trip, as weather protection.

Do take care, that the firearm doesn't receive any undue knocks/bangs against trees, rocks, etc.

Do treat any firearm with the respect it deserves, and not as a disposable tool.

FWIW, I have firearms that I've been hunting with for over 30 years (more than a few of which are "high" grade/fancy guns) that look like they just came out of their box.

The only firearms I own, that have any marks/divots, are those that were with me when I experienced an unexpected slip/fall.

Last edited:
I think gun oil is the stock's biggest threat. Soaks into the wood and destroys it. I have a leather cover on the comb really because I just like it. However it also protects that section of the stock which for me is the area prone to nasty scratches. Also if you shoot it at the range be careful with your selection of muffs. I had one pair that had a screw adjustment device. It put a nasty scratch/gouge on my nice Browning shotgun stock. I also went to a hard transport case to protect it in the back of the truck. I don't lean guns against things either because inevitably it falls.

Tom68, Outside of changing stocks pretty hard to control those character marks a wood stock will get. I have character marks on my synthetic they may not show as bad but I see them and I'm not one to keep a extra stock around for show.

I got one wood stock rifle got it new 1965 about 10yrs ago wife was telling me rifle looking pretty beat up might want to get the stock refinished. She hunted with rifle also so I got it refinished she likes it I don't looks like it has no character.

Well good luck

I'm not into buying different stocks and leaving nicer furniture in the dark recesses of the close never to be seen again. And yes, that's what happens. What's the point?

If you're doing anything more than easy strolls in the woods your gun is gonna show it. There's a reason all the turn of the century guns look the way they do. "IF" you are that worried about than wrapping it in $5 worth of camo horse wrap goes along ways.

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of exaggerating about the tailgate thing...but showing the rifle does get used. I'm not planning on anything outlandish to keep it pristine.... I was really more interested in getting a discussion going on the topic and hearing the varied points of view that I've come to enjoy here. I've thought about a McMillian or a B&C, not necessarily to save the wood but just to try one out. Problem is that I would have a perfectly good featherweight walnut stock being unused and I don't like that idea either. So I'll keep up what I'm doing and expect to enjoy it for the next 40 years or so :-)

Did you buy it to use or look at. My guns are bought to use but not abuse. I seldom carry a rifle with a wood stock anymore. Most of my rifles are common models and used/takeoff synthetic stocks are abundant and cheap. Regardless of how careful you are, sooner or later an oops will occur and normal handling wear and tear will begin to show. Stuff happens and the result can either be a reminder of a pleasurable moment or an unfortunate mistake.

I cover the forend and the butt stock with ...

Beartooth protective sleeves. They also make covers for barrels and scopes. Not only do they protect from nicks, scratches, and dings, but they also come in camo patterns.

The only unprotected areas, when the the sleeves are in place, is from the pistol grip of the rifle to the forward end of the receiver. I put about an eight inch long piece of camo tape (not a Beartooth product) over that area. The tape prevents me from scratching the stock when carrying the rifle at the ready, rubbing it against my belt.

Do a Google search for "Beartooth", and go to their website for pictures.;)

I tend to be common sense. Wax is your friend. Small dings are okay, but color change scratches are not. I do use my guns as tools, so they do tend to get banged a little bit. I have mostly composite stocks on my rifles, but I love a good wood stock. Use wax, treat it with a little respect, and you should be fine. If it does scratch up a little, then refinish it. That's the beauty of wood... it refinishes easy.

As others have suggested, clean the bore and chamber,dry everything good. I will some times separate the action from the stock(at least once every few years and 1st time). Wax (Johsons Paste Wax,$6.00 @ Ace Hdwr.) you can reach then use a Q tip get everything you possibly can and dry. Buff everything get all of the wax off and out of everything,use tooth picks to get into engraving/roll stamps.I like using cloth baby diapers(@Wal Mart)for polishing.Learn how/buy tool so you can take the bolt apart clean and wax,re lube/oil/grease, I use graphite lightly brushed on, reassemble.
Wood stocks, it depends on existing finish, high gloss or oil rubbed. High gloss will get the same Johnsons Paste Wax,just know you will spend some time getting the wax out of the checkering,tooth picks work good and soft enough not harm the stock.Inside the inletting if it has lacquer sprayed inside the wax it too.Oil finished stocks(my preference) get Howard's Wax-N-Feed available at most hardware stores in the paint refinishing section. Use it on any oil finished wood you care about put a heavy coat of it on the first time let set in a warm room for 20-30 then buff, your wood will be beautiful.I do this to every single one of my 40 + guns. I have never had a speck of rust,failure to operate in any weather condition. Long term storage( more than 6 mos. I will wax the bores and chambers instead of oiling,oil migrates and gets into undesirable areas.This pretty close to what museums do to valuable/collectable firearms. I will go through this sequence about every third time using a rifle or 2 time for a handgun. My guns look beautiful all the time even my old used Colts and S&W's look good with their dated worn finishes.You will find clean up is faster, as I do not put any gun away that has not been cleaned,I will leave them where I can't ignore it and have started doing most of the bore cleaning at the range.

Last edited:
Nothing

If you actually hunt with it--its going to get dinged up

I've babied the heck out of rifles while hunting only to find all kinds of dings and scratches when I got home.

Even if you do your best to take care of wood stocked rifles, they'll show wear from years of use. And I bought mine to use. You should see my late Father's Ruger Ultralight in 270. It's pretty worn, but he put the wear on it and I wouldn't have it any other way. I treasure every nick and scratch.

Lately I've been hunting with a stainless Tikka with a synthetic stock, and I think I've wiped it down with an oily rag once in the entire deer season. Stainless is making me lazy. And if some OCD member of the forum wants to take me to task and say that stainless will rust also, well....maybe in a couple of years I'll see some tarnish or rust, if I ever do.

i agree with some of the other posters, its super hard to keep a rifle that you hunt with and use "nice" no matter how much you baby it. I think it would change out the stock, or get something else to hunt with. All my hunting rifles i picked up used and already have the damage done, as long as it shoots well i dont care that much what the outside is like.

gotta admit, my "hunting" rifles are mostly stainless / composite...

that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a nice blued & wood rifle, in fact the bulk of my bolt actions are blued / walnut, & in the last couple years, I've added a JOC Winchester model 70, & a Remington 700 - 100th anniversary of the 30-06...

all get shot, but the nicer ones are more sunny day range guns...

I have a 70's Remington 700 in 35 Whelen, that I bought used... I think it's unfired, but the stock has several "handling marks" I don't know the finish on the older Remingtons, but this is a gloss finish, which has some thickness, & several of the scratches are down to the wood... I'd like to touch those up... someday

those Bear Tooth covers look like a good option to slow down the character building

Back